Parallels to 2011? | The Boneyard

Parallels to 2011?

Reaction Score
Stop me if you’ve heard this story before, a young Uconn team coming off a disappointing season is underrated and going to be lead by a junior guard ready to go to the league, with a chance to prove themselves early on in a huge preseason tournament.:D

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
who is our oriakhi?
that's the one player a lot of people keep over looking. AO was a beast for us and was a leader that year.

Also kemba had a coming out party against Nova at Nova the year before so we kind of saw a preview of what was to come. Jalen hasn't shown much. Could be injuries or that he put so much pressure on himself bc around him the team hasn't been good

Reaction Score
that's the one player a lot of people keep over looking. AO was a beast for us and was a leader that year.

Also kemba had a coming out party against Nova at Nova the year before so we kind of saw a preview of what was to come. Jalen hasn't shown much. Could be injuries or that he put so much pressure on himself bc around him the team hasn't been good

Jalen has had spectacular games. It's the consistency that comes with maturity. "Jalen hasn't shown much?" He has shown me a lot. I wait for him to do it consistently, to do what he has already done, but more steadily.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Jalen has had spectacular games. It's the consistency that comes with maturity. "Jalen hasn't shown much?" He has shown me a lot. I wait for him to do it consistently, to do what he has already done, but more steadily.

That's a rather harsh Adams critique.

Yes, consistently. I could've said the previous better. I think he's been very very good. The inconsistencies are what I was referring to. He also needs this season to be injury free

Reaction Score
Yeah, Jalen is a proven baller. I can't help but see parallels of 11 'and 14', but that is simply because we got spoiled into thinking every time we suck, we'll win a natty the next year. Not realistic, though I'll hope for it.

I feel like this year could go either way. An abyss that ends our dominant athletic department as we know it or a redeeming and energizing return to excellence. I'm having a hard time seeing a "pretty good" season for some reason, even though that's probably the most likely outcome.

Reaction Score

Not sure where that comment is coming from.

Here are Kemba's season stats from his sophomore year: UCONNHUSKIES.COM :: University Of Connecticut Official Athletic Site University Of Connecticut Official Athletic Site - Men's Basketball

Here are Jalen's season stats from his sophomore year: http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/m-baskbl/stats/2016-2017/teamcume.html#TEAM.IND

Look pretty similar, don't they? You could easily argue that Jalen was better just looking at the stats and knowing how much of the load he had to carry. Yes I get that the team stunk last year but I'm not putting that on Jalen.

Note: I tried to look for a game by game log for each to see some of the highs and lows but couldn't find that.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Not sure where that comment is coming from.

Here are Kemba's season stats from his sophomore year: UCONNHUSKIES.COM :: University Of Connecticut Official Athletic Site University Of Connecticut Official Athletic Site - Men's Basketball

Here are Jalen's season stats from his sophomore year: http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/m-baskbl/stats/2016-2017/teamcume.html#TEAM.IND

Look pretty similar, don't they? You could easily argue that Jalen was better just looking at the stats and knowing how much of the load he had to carry. Yes I get that the team stunk last year but I'm not putting that on Jalen.

Note: I tried to look for a game by game log for each to see some of the highs and lows but couldn't find that.
What I said came out wrong. Didn't mean for it to come out like a dig at Jalen. I think he's been great and can be even better. But like it's previously been said, consistency is needed and I'm waiting for "that game" when the nation takes notice. I don't mean it to be a knock at all

Reaction Score
What I said came out wrong. Didn't mean for it to come out like a dig at Jalen. I think he's been great and can be even better. But like it's previously been said, consistency is needed and I'm waiting for "that game" when the nation takes notice. I don't mean it to be a knock at all
Unfortunately UConn didn't really play in any games last year when the nation could have taken notice. They were out of the top 25 by the 2nd game and were never a factor on the national scene. Jalen could have had 40 points in a game and nobody except UConn fans would have noticed.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score

Hasn't shown much????
what the hell have you been watching
who was that guard in Hawaii?

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Unfortunately UConn didn't really play in any games last year when the nation could have taken notice. They were out of the top 25 by the 2nd game and were never a factor on the national scene. Jalen could have had 40 points in a game and nobody except UConn fans would have noticed.
I believe he can do it. Big test early this year

Reaction Score
I'm not sure about parallels but I am sure about one thing. Jalen's sophomore statistics compared to Kemba's are close if not better.
Kemba - 14.6 PPG, 2.1 ST, 5.1 AST, 4.3 RB, .43 2P%, .339 3P%, .767 FT%
Jalen - 14.4 PPG, 1.1 ST, 6.1 AST, 4.3 RB, .43 2P%, >.35 3P%, >.828 FT%
Very close actually. Not saying he's going to be Kemba, one of our all time greats, but don't discount him. And he did that with some of his best teammates sidelined with injuries and all the pressure on him to run the show almost alone. If we get a jump from Jalen in his Junior year like we did with Kemba we will be very happy. I'm not sure he has the front court horses to compete for a National Championship like Kemba did so I wouldn't sign him up for that either, but don't count him out.
I hope this is a parallel though!

Reaction Score
The parallels are incredible. In 99, 04, and 11, we won a total of 99 games. We also lost 17 games. 99-17=82. 82 is the opposite of 28. 2011 was championship #3. 28-3. The falcons blew a 28-3 lead. We've gotta be the favorites this year.
This guy majored in numerology

Reaction Score

Not very fair to Jalen here and a tough comparison. Kemba as a soph played with a solid team while Jalen was asked to do everything while playing almost 40 minutes a game.

edit: did not see you take back the OP man you got smacked around lol

Reaction Score
The freshmen class we had in 2010-11 was leaps and bounds better than what we have this year. I think we can make the NCAA but let's not kid ourselves

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom