Pan Am Title Game | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Pan Am Title Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
That couldn't end quick enough. Twenty more minutes and I think a UConn player might've left on a stretcher. Some of the Canadian players would be more at home in roller derby. Hopefully, Jefferson is okay, or will be.

Reaction Score
......... and instead feel good for the really good team that beat us.

They are ranked 10th in the world, right behind Belarus. Not really a really good team.

Reaction Score
At least the Lady Vols know how to Rebound the ball and make aggressive effort rebounding. Some on Team USA make little or no effort. Don't want to mix it up.

That's true. We were out hustled on far too many occasions. Just for the record. Are you a LV fan ?

Reaction Score
Reimer played 30 minutes, and Moriah got 2 more rebounds then she did. Canada got way too many offensive rebounds, Guards 11-33 in shooting, not a good offensive scheme by the USA coach. Canada played a good game, the guards on the USA were not good, offensively or defensively, it was Moriah all by herself.

Reaction Score
Congrats to Canada and of course to Kia Nurse.

One observation; Geno would not have allowed this much contact to go on without getting a technical foul. Not sure it would have helped, but would not have hurt, IMO.

The UConn players did well, but the physicality affected them. USA missed Mitchel, but more than anything, the USA team lacked chemistry. It takes time to know what your role is on the team, and just as important, when you need to change your role (i.e when to "step up").

Still proud of the young players. Good effort.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Nurse was a force of nature in this game. She was not going to be denied this gold medal, a woman on a mission. It was kind of unworldly watching Moriah play defense (or trying to at least) on Nurse...after watching them all season playing together tonight just had a weird feel to it. Is there any doubt that Nurse will start for the 2015-2016 version of the Huskies? I don't think so! Canada was the better team tonight...they played like a team that has played together for some time...while USA played like a team that was put together recently the most telling stat was TEAM USA only had 5 assists all night long while Canada had 14 assists.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Guards 11-33 in shooting, not a good offensive scheme by the USA coach. Canada played a good game, the guards on the USA were not good, offensively or defensively, it was Moriah all by herself.

Canada clogged the lane and the US was abysmal at entry passes so most of the offense had to be accomplished on the perimeter. A great strategy against a team missing Mitchell and any shooters.

Reaction Score
Assuming that Mo is OK, I'm far from devastated by this result. I've been predicting that Kia and Gabby will be the two most improved players for UConn next season. We'll have to see about Gabby, but Kia will enter the season with a huge jolt of confidence, and the level of her play and her competitive spirit speak for themselves!

Reaction Score
Everything you want to know about the offense the USA was running can be found in one team stat. They had 5 assists for the entire game. Ipso facto, they weren't running any discernible offensive system.

Reaction Score
What is interesting to me is that Kia Nurse appears to be Canada's number one offensive option and last year she was the fifth offensive option on the UConn team. Canada taking great satisfaction in winning this game would be like our USMNT in soccer taking satisfaction in beating a college team from Germany.

Except for the fact there are no college soccer teams in Germany. All the kids are either playing in pro leagues at that age, or at family picnics. Instead of badmouthing Canada's team, it would be better to congratulate the U.S. team for beating the National Teams of Cuba and Brazil, which was a tremendous achievement for a college all-star team hastily, and poorly, put together. Also, Kia Nurse is nowhere near the number one option on the Canadian team; she just happened to have the game of her life tonight. Canada just won the Gold Medal for the first time in their history; whining about them celebrating seems to me to be in incredibly poor taste.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
No, Huge UConn Fan. Just pointing out that this USA team did a poor job going after rebounds in this game. Reimer 31 Minutes with ZERO Rebounds and Mavunga with 2. Meanwhile Nurse and Fields for Canada had 13 combined. If Reimer grabs 5-7 rebounds in this game USA might have won it. Never mind the non existent help defense they provide on Canada's Dribble drives for layups.

That's true. We were out hustled on far too many occasions. Just for the record. Are you a LV fan ?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Even though she's a UConn player Team USA should have been able to stop Kia's dribble drives for baskets and one. Kia should not be scoring 33 points and make 11 of 12 Free Throws while doing it. Like a lot of USA Teams have done they have made opposing teams guards look like All World Players. Kia is the same age as the USA guards and she's not as quick as most of them.
Yea USA should have done a better job on free throw defense-I agree. When someone (Kia) beats an opponent (the USA guards) to the basket on a regular basis I think that means she is quicker.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Congrats to Canada. I think they realize they didn't beat the USA's Senior Nat'l team. They've been looking forward to this moment for a long time and they should enjoy it in front of the home crowd. Just because they didn't beat the best US team doesn't mean they shouldn't enjoy their success.

Congrats to the US team for its silver medal. They went up against other countries' senior national teams -- including a team that finished 5th in the World Championships and keeps improving -- and learned what it's like to play physical, international ball where the calls aren't going to go your way. They made it to the gold medal game and lost to a better team that's been playing together for a couple of years. There's no shame in this result.

The US wasn't deep enough. The loss of Tiffany Mitchell really hurt. There are several good players who declined. There are several good players who didn't make the team. There are several good players who played on the WUG team. The selection committee is accountable for the teams. The lack of depth hurt a team that played 5 games in 5 days -- not even the WC or Olympic games schedule that way. The schedulers favored the home team by forcing the US to always play the late game, except when they could screw them with an afternoon game after the late game. Oh well.

Breanna said she wants to make the Olympic team in Rio. She was reminded of just how physical the international game is and how much stronger she needs to get. She wore down but did herself proud. She kept fighting and played pretty darn well. Moriah is a warrior and I hope she's okay.

Nurse will be at UConn for the next 3 years. She's tough as nails. I hope she has many moments like tonight while wearing a UConn jersey.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Except for the fact there are no college soccer teams in Germany. All the kids are either playing in pro leagues at that age, or at family picnics. Instead of badmouthing Canada's team, it would be better to congratulate the U.S. team for beating the National Teams of Cuba and Brazil, which was a tremendous achievement for a college all-star team hastily, and poorly, put together. Also, Kia Nurse is nowhere near the number one option on the Canadian team; she just happened to have the game of her life tonight. Canada just won the Gold Medal for the first time in their history; whining about them celebrating seems to me to be in incredibly poor taste.

Thank you for your clarification on German soccer teams. I actually know that, but it would have made my analogy more difficult. Do you disagree with the point made?

I hardly bad-mouthed them, just pointed out some objective facts for a change. Canada is not a very good team, and this game showed it.

Some on the US team played with heart, most did not. You apparently have lower standards for them than I do.

OK, let's move Kia down to Canada's fourth offensive option. Does not change the fact that she was lower than that on last year's UConn team.

And finally, I was not whining about Canada winning. Did not see their reaction or any celebration. Congratulations to them. The teams they see next from Brazil and the US will look nothing like the teams in this tournament. By the way, what key players were not present for Canada?

Reaction Score
There are lots of players who didn't produce but Reimer had a total of 2 rebounds in the last 2 games. And her ability to both pass and receive passes left a lot to be desired.
She flat out sucked. Looked like she did not want to be there. She would move the wrong way when Stevie or anyone threw her a pass. God bless ND and next year they are gonna need it.

Reaction Score
There was too much dead weight on the team. There are better players in college than some that were chosen. Don't know who did and didn't try out. Not having Tiffany Mitchell hurt. Achonwa chose to play for Canada instead of with the WNBA, although I'm sure she'll be headed there now. Could have used some of the younger WNBA players, like Odyssey Sims. Definitely needed someone besides Moriah. Congrats Canada. If you face the USA in the Olympics, good luck, you'll need it.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
There are lots of players who didn't produce but Reimer had a total of 2 rebounds in the last 2 games. And her ability to both pass and receive passes left a lot to be desired.

I was responding to comments about effort not about effectiveness. Don't think it's fair to question effort.

Reimer also scored 10 points (on 3 FGA) and drew 5 fouls, including the 4th on Achonwa, so not fair to say that she is "unable to compete". She competed. If you feel she was ineffective, so be it.

It's not my place to argue that point extensively here.

Gmoney

Hoser
Reaction Score
Someone must have some very compromising photos of a USA selection committee member for Coyer and Brunner and Plum to have been selected and two roster spots virtually wasted.

Don't get too excited Canada, you just beat a poorly selected bunch of kids with 3 weeks practice under their belt. Is it just me, or do Stewie and Moriah look like the only USA players who are really pissed and angry with this result?? I cannot wait for Rio when Maya and BG will destroy this bunch by 40 points.
Sorry to see you lost your bet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32