Palpable buzz | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Palpable buzz

Reaction Score
Yeah his dad tainted his career no doubt but he helped himself his junior year too. There was more pouting than fighting that year, unlike most of his soph year where for the most part he was very good. He did a few disappearing acts during the Big East season the NC year but so did most of the team minus Kemba. Having said that he also came up very big in a number of big games the NC year.

I would take 8.7 rebounds in a second though, he could do that. You have to admit it was tough to watch that left handed "jump hook" clanging off everything when he went that way. Again, give me his toughness in any one of our bigs though and effort going after rebounds.

He had some nice rebounding games for us in 2010-2011. The 21 rebound game against Tristen Thompson and Texas stands out to me. 14 points and 12 boards vs Villanova (Kemba hit game winner). 12 poiunt and 10 boards battling Tobias Harris and Tennessee. 15 rebound game battling Jae Crowder. Then in final four he had 8 pts 10 rebounds against Kentucky and 11 pts 11 rebs in championship game.

Yes he also had a bunch of duds during that year which was one of the reasons we finished 9th in the league that year.

Reaction Score
We had Kemba Walker in 2011. Do you see a Kemba on this team? There’s nothing I would like better than to be surprised by our front court also but we have had many years where we never saw the development and improvement expected. Everone wants the so called experts to be wrong but I haven’t seen any analysis of our frontcourt that says it’s good enough.

I’m not claiming this team is good enough to win a national championship. I’m saying it’s good enough to make the tournament. Relax

Reaction Score
I’m not claiming this team is good enough to win a national championship. I’m saying it’s good enough to make the tournament. Relax

I don't know why people will say this team doesn't have the talent to become a tourney team. We've got a 5* and multiple 4* former recruits in the fold. Talented guards, and a veteran coaching staff.

The issue will not be physical. Chemistry and the IQ to pick up on a new system and philosophy of play will make or break this team.

Reaction Score

I agree with you, I think there is enough talent here to be a tournament team this year. Senior Jalen Adams + veteran Alterique will probably be one of the best, if not the best, backcourt duo in the country. Add in an infusion of talent with Josh Calrton (with a year's experience under his belt), Sid, Brendan Adams, Polley (also another year of experience under his belt) plus an infusion of experience with CV, Smith, and other seniors and you have recipe for a tournament team.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
In 2011 our front court was Alex Oriakhi, Charles Okwandu, Tyler Olander, and Enosch Wolf. We won a national championship with that front court. In 2014 our front court was Tyler Olander, Phil Nolan, freshman Facey, and freshman Brimah. We also won a national championship with that front court. Our guards are good enough to lead us to a tournament in 2019.
All this talk about guards and bigs is nonsense. I've bolded the key up above. Do we have a Tyler Olander (2>1) on this team?

Reaction Score
I agree with you, I think there is enough talent here to be a tournament team this year. Senior Jalen Adams + veteran Alterique will probably be one of the best, if not the best, backcourt duo in the country. Add in an infusion of talent with Josh Calrton (with a year's experience under his belt), Sid, Brendan Adams, Polley (also another year of experience under his belt) plus an infusion of experience with CV, Smith, and other seniors and you have recipe for a tournament team.
Veteran alterique? He's played like 5 games for us

JCSuperstar

Garbage Time All Star
Reaction Score
I don't know why people will say this team doesn't have the talent to become a tourney team. We've got a 5* and multiple 4* former recruits in the fold. Talented guards, and a veteran coaching staff.

The issue will not be physical. Chemistry and the IQ to pick up on a new system and philosophy of play will make or break this team.

I think we can make the tournament, but I am not expecting it.
  • We have been trash for a couple of years in a row. I'm not enough of a basketball mind to know whether old/bad habits and coaching can be worked out of the players that quickly.
  • Our conference is bad, which means not many chances for quality wins and not much room for error in the conference slate.
  • Our OOC is front loaded and we have to make noise there, so that's even less time to gel under a new coach/style in games that will make a big difference with the committee.
  • I love what I've gotten to see out of AG when he wasn't hurt, but we're a long way from one of the best backcourts in the country.
As long as they play hard in general, don't get blown out by teams that aren't Villanova, and look better in February than they do in December, I will be content

Reaction Score
Veteran alterique? He's played like 5 games for us

This is his third year at UConn. While he has not played more than 3 games in any of his first 2 seasons, the time maturing as a person, watching film, being at practice, and participating at practice has given him valuable experience. One of the byproducts of this experience can be seen through the reports coming out of Storrs (and having witnessed it myself) of how good his shot is right now, including his form and technique...that was not the case when he first came to Storrs.

I am sure that with the past two seasons he has also learned to be a better leader. After Adams, I think Alterique is the guy the rest of the team will be looking up to provide leadership.

Reaction Score
There’s no talk of CV. His name was in the middle of the pack on those competition sheets during the summer. I think he might be feeling the heat. A healthy Rique, a talented B. Adams, and an improving Carlton means less minutes/points to go around. CV looks like he isn’t too happy about taking a step back.

Reaction Score
This is his third year at UConn. While he has not played more than 3 games in any of his first 2 seasons, the time maturing as a person, watching film, being at practice, and participating at practice has given him valuable experience. One of the byproducts of this experience can be seen through the reports coming out of Storrs (and having witnessed it myself) of how good his shot is right now, including his form and technique...that was not the case when he first came to Storrs.

I am sure that with the past two seasons he has also learned to be a better leader. After Adams, I think Alterique is the guy the rest of the team will be looking up to provide leadership.
At the same time he's essentially had two redshirt years in the two of the program's most dysfunctional years in decades. I hope he's great and all but I want to see this backcourt be the best in the 7th best conference in the country before even dreaming of it being the best in the country.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
There’s no talk of CV. His name was in the middle of the pack on those competition sheets during the summer. I think he might be feeling the heat. A healthy Rique, a talented B. Adams, and an improving Carlton means less minutes/points to go around. CV looks like he isn’t too happy about taking a step back.
Yeah I hope he accepts whatever role Hurley has for him. CV is good player, but I'm not sure that his self-perception lined up with our prior staff's sense of him. We'll see. Genuinely like the kid and feel like Hurley can improve his overall game if CV buys in.

Reaction Score

He's been in the gym a lot this summer. There have been no indications he is upset with his role; on the contrary, he seems quite bought in. But that's just on the surface.

If CV realizes for the team to succeed his ego will need to be in check, we'll be fine. He is a smart kid and we have a great staff. I expect nothing less.

Reaction Score
We are relaxed. But that's not what you said.
What you said is: "I really don’t understand how anyone thinks this team won’t make the tournament."
Big difference.
Pretty much everybody on the board believes this team is "good enough to make the tournament." Pretty much only the blind fanatics don't understand how this team might not do so.

Difference.

Reaction Score
I really don’t understand how anyone thinks this team won’t make the tournament this season. To say the talent isn’t there is absurd. The talent is there and now we have a staff who’s going to get the most out of it.
We have a really talented starting backcourt (should be best in the AAC) with a healthy Alterique but from top to bottom the roster is lacking in talent. Hurley knows he needs to seriously upgrade.

Reaction Score
Yeah I hope he accepts whatever role Hurley has for him. CV is good player, but I'm not sure that his self-perception lined up with our prior staff's sense of him.
You are all underselling this kid.
On a team playing clown ball he was the only kid who brought it 100% of the time, no plays off. He led the team in rebounds because he had the biggest heart and the best motor. He wanted it more. You can't teach that.
Also, he was on a terrible offensive team. His numbers will improve within a better offense, as will others.
He shot .318 from 3. Jalen shot .324. Pretty much the same. Only Larrier did better, shooting a lot of 3s.

I think that CV is going to be a critical part to this team. Moreso than Alterique or any newly added player or transfer. We'll see.

Reaction Score
We have a really talented starting backcourt (should be best in the AAC) with a healthy Alterique but from top to bottom the roster is lacking in talent. Hurley knows he needs to seriously upgrade.
The front court is a wasteland, and to make their lives harder, we're so bad at shooting that they get less space than they would for most other teams.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
Leaps by Whaley, Cobb, Josh.
Using Sid & Polley to our advantage.
Strong, heathy, & disciplined CV & AG
Jalen as conference POY.
September is for dreaming. Right?

Reaction Score
In 2011 our front court was Alex Oriakhi, Charles Okwandu, Tyler Olander, and Enosch Wolf. We won a national championship with that front court. In 2014 our front court was Tyler Olander, Phil Nolan, freshman Facey, and freshman Brimah. We also won a national championship with that front court. Our guards are good enough to lead us to a tournament in 2019.

Our best team in '11 was with Roscoe Smith at the 4. Our starting team in '14 had Deandre and Giffey sharing the 4 spot. I don't know how you define "front court," but you need to check your definition.

We -- one -- can get by with one true big and one stretch 4. Coming off last year, we have neither at an acceptable level. If Carlton becomes one acceptable big, our past history does not imply we can get by without either a second big or a stretch 4.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom