Palpable buzz | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Palpable buzz

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
His bbiq is off the charts and hes 6'6. Terrible comparison

I wasn't comparing anything (certainly not to Jalen). His statement was that guards who can't shoot have to be uber athletic, or they can't play in the NBA. I provided a disproving example. There are others.

The point is, there are other traits that can get you a job in the League.

Reaction Score
The talent is not there in the front court. It is not developed either. We are undeveloped (but talented) at the wing too.

Our hope is that the American is so bad that we can play our way in.

In 2011 our front court was Alex Oriakhi, Charles Okwandu, Tyler Olander, and Enosch Wolf. We won a national championship with that front court. In 2014 our front court was Tyler Olander, Phil Nolan, freshman Facey, and freshman Brimah. We also won a national championship with that front court. Our guards are good enough to lead us to a tournament in 2019.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
In 2011 our front court was Alex Oriakhi, Charles Okwandu, Tyler Olander, and Enosch Wolf. We won a national championship with that front court. In 2014 our front court was Tyler Olander, Phil Nolan, freshman Facey, and freshman Brimah. We also won a national championship with that front court. Our guards are good enough to lead us to a tournament in 2019.

You left off two of our best posts! One in 2011, one in 2014.

A few points:

2011:
  • We have no one CLOSE to Oriakhi on this roster.
  • You are entirely leaving our Roscoe Smith who was really our PF that season. We have no one close to him either.
  • We had the best player in the country by a fair margin.
2014:
  • We had the best player in America during that stretch run.
  • We had a very, very good stretch PF in Daniels. Don't have anyone close to that on the roster.
  • We also had veteran help up and down the roster (at the wing and at the PF). Don't have anyone close to Giffey on the roster.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
How does 2011 Alex Oriakhi keep getting a bad rep on this board
Haha he just listed him as a front court member? How is that giving him a bad rep? FWIW I liked 2011 (pre-mumu) Oriaki quite a bit.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
I love to hear this too...but I'd say the reason he isn't in the NBA is because his 3 pt shot isn't where it needed to be. Guards in the NBA need to be able to shoot unless they are freak athletes. Even then, they tend to struggle. Adams is a good athlete but he's not a freak.
To some degree I think that comes under "toughness" only in a different manner. No substitute for practice when it comes to a weakness like shooting. Have to want it that bad. I remember Kemba after the summer when he toured with the team that was amateur/pro and he said going up against Rondo made him realize all the weaknesses he actually had and how it inspired him to work on them. I am very hopeful and actually pretty confident that Hurley will bring out the best in him. If he does, watch out.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
You left off two of our best posts! One in 2011, one in 2014.

A few points:

2011:
  • We have no one CLOSE to Oriakhi on this roster.
  • You are entirely leaving our Roscoe Smith who was really our PF that season. We have no one close to him either.
  • We had the best player in the country by a fair margin.
2014:
  • We had the best player in America during that stretch run.
  • We had a very, very good stretch PF in Daniels. Don't have anyone close to that on the roster.
  • We also had veteran help up and down the roster (at the wing and at the PF). Don't have anyone close to Giffey on the roster.
Yeah, people are just writing off AO bc of the way his dad acted. AO was a beast his sophomore year for us. He rebounded, blocked shots, and scored when needed. He was a big body that was needed. Roscoe same thing, even with his wiry frame. We need the same types of players as AO and Roscoe

Reaction Score
Amazing what holding these players accountable will do. Tournament team - book it

Reaction Score
Haha he just listed him as a front court member? How is that giving him a bad rep? FWIW I liked 2011 (pre-mumu) Oriaki quite a bit.
Yeah, he listed him as a front court member but implied that Oriakhi (9.6 pts 8.7 reb) was equal to Okwandu (2.9 pts 2.8 reb), Olander (1.5 pts 1.8 reb), and Wolf (1.2 pts, 1.0 reb) and that UConn won that championship in spite of him. Which isn't true at all.

Reaction Score
8 whole points?
We’ve haven’t had two many 5’s average in double figures in 40 years.
Take Emeka out and it drops off to a very occasional year for guys who played 4 .
Doing that as a sophomore and we will be in the tourney.

Reaction Score
How does 2011 Alex Oriakhi keep getting a bad rep on this board

I was never a huge fan of his game. Great guy who I’ve met several times but never like his game. No offense presence and lacked toughness. Provided us with some good rebounding over his 3 years but outside of that I wasn’t overly impressed with much else.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Really looking forward to seeing how Carlton progresses this year. Hopefully, they throw him the ball in the paint once in a while.

Hopefully, he knows where to be. And where to go with the ball after he gets it.

zepfan

I'll make it.
Reaction Score
I love to hear that about Adams. The difference between him being in the NBA and not comes down to toughness, really. So much fluidity, coordination, and his finishing is amazing when he doesn't shy from contact.

Rique: If the shoulder healing rumors are true, we may have the best starting backcourt in America.

Carlton: Rumors has been he's getting MUCH better. I think he's good for 8/6/1 this year.

Brendan Adams: People keep saying we might be surprised by his skill as a freshman. He's probably behind 3-4 other guards--no pressure on him; he can just play basketball.
More grit from Jalen is great news. I would just add that he must get more consistent from mid range. I remember an announcer in one of their games last year said "As a guard on a high level D1 team, if you can't knock down an elbow jumper consistently, you have no business being out there." The comment was in reference to UCONN's poor shooting. Granted, Jalen has an uncanny ability to finish at the rim but he can be one dimensional at times. I'm hoping this changes for him this year. If so , he will be a top 10 guard nationally.

Reaction Score
More grit from Jalen is great news. I would just add that he must get more consistent from mid range. I remember an announcer in one of their games last year said "As a guard on a high level D1 team, if you can't knock down an elbow jumper consistently, you have no business being out there." The comment was in reference to UCONN's poor shooting. Granted, Jalen has an uncanny ability to finish at the rim but he can be one dimensional at times. I'm hoping this changes for him this year. If so , he will be a top 10 guard nationally.

Mid-range shots are not going to be a part of the Hurley-style basketball offense unless things have changed drastically. 3's, layups, and dunks are the name of the game in modern basketball, for better or for worse.

The plus with Jalen imo is that he can be super effective in the PnR if it's set up well. A good screener and shooters to kick to could be really pretty with this team.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Yeah, he listed him as a front court member but implied that Oriakhi (9.6 pts 8.7 reb) was equal to Okwandu (2.9 pts 2.8 reb), Olander (1.5 pts 1.8 reb), and Wolf (1.2 pts, 1.0 reb) and that UConn won that championship in spite of him. Which isn't true at all.
Yeah, you may have inferred that, but I doubt he intended it.

Reaction Score
We had Kemba Walker in 2011. Do you see a Kemba on this team? There’s nothing I would like better than to be surprised by our front court also but we have had many years where we never saw the development and improvement expected. Everone wants the so called experts to be wrong but I haven’t seen any analysis of our frontcourt that says it’s good enough.

Reaction Score

We had a 5* big recruit on both of those teams that played key roles. Oriakh's defense in 2011 title run was amazing. Daniels' dynamism opened up our offense in 2014.

Our best recruited returnee big is in the 100s (Yakwe may have been higher than that but he got benched by St John's).

Reaction Score
I get that his fallout with Jim Calhoun really taints his reputation and that he wasn't the best offensive big we've ever had - but people would absolutely love to have a player like 2010-2011 Oriakhi as our starting 5 this year.

Yeah his dad tainted his career no doubt but he helped himself his junior year too. There was more pouting than fighting that year, unlike most of his soph year where for the most part he was very good. He did a few disappearing acts during the Big East season the NC year but so did most of the team minus Kemba. Having said that he also came up very big in a number of big games the NC year.

I would take 8.7 rebounds in a second though, he could do that. You have to admit it was tough to watch that left handed "jump hook" clanging off everything when he went that way. Again, give me his toughness in any one of our bigs though and effort going after rebounds.

Reaction Score
Perusing the thread up to this point, the palpable buzz has become an amorphous dread, the snow gently falling all over Ireland, the forum casting its usual pall over the hopes of the living and the dead.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom