Palpable buzz | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Palpable buzz

Reaction Score
The front court is a wasteland, and to make their lives harder, we're so bad at shooting that they get less space than they would for most other teams.

Yup. The back-court needs shooters and the front-court needs a pulse. Without either, we're looking at another .500 season.

Reaction Score
You are all underselling this kid.
On a team playing clown ball he was the only kid who brought it 100% of the time, no plays off. He led the team in rebounds because he had the biggest heart and the best motor. He wanted it more. You can't teach that.
Also, he was on a terrible offensive team. His numbers will improve within a better offense, as will others.
He shot .318 from 3. Jalen shot .324. Pretty much the same. Only Larrier did better, shooting a lot of 3s.

I think that CV is going to be a critical part to this team. Moreso than Alterique or any newly added player or transfer. We'll see.

I have no idea what sport you are watching if you really believe that CV will be more critical to the team than a healthy Alterique... CV is a likable guy and a fan favorite for good reasons, but you can generally tell which posters know the game and which posters are just fans of the team by a poster's take on CV...

Reaction Score
The front court is a wasteland, and to make their lives harder, we're so bad at shooting that they get less space than they would for most other teams.

I actually think Carlton is a pretty talented center, who can play a positive and significant role in providing points in the paint and rebounding... I also think Polley will surprise folks. I think he has the best shot on the team, and can be used effectively as a stretch 4.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I have no idea what sport you are watching if you really believe that CV will be more critical to the team than a healthy Alterique... CV is a likable guy and a fan favorite for good reasons, but you can generally tell which posters know the game and which posters are just fans of the team by a poster's take on CV...

News flash: people whose opinions differ from yours are just as capable of knowing and understanding the game as you are...

pj

Reaction Score
Yup. The back-court needs shooters and the front-court needs a pulse. Without either, we're looking at another .500 season.

Exaggerate much?

We were within an inch of .500 each of the last two years and we'll have better talent (adding Alterique, Sid, etc, plus players a year more advanced) and better coaching. We'll be well above .500.

As for your implication that the backcourt can't shoot and the frontcourt isn't alive ... well, I hate "fans" who underrate their own players.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I think the team will be much better than most prognosticators are suggesting. The back-court of Adams, Gilbert, Smith, CV and Adams is the best since 2014. And it's deeper than that team's was. Gilbert is healthy and will be fine. He is being completely under-sold by many. If he was coming in as a freshman everyone would be touting him as a major impact player. He's going to be better than any freshman guard. Age matters. Experience isn't gained merely by playing.

The front-court is not a strength, but there are bodies and if they can defend, rebound and finish what the guards create we will be fine. Wilson could be a spark, Polley showed he can shoot (if not defend), Whaley could block shots (if not score) and the slimmed down Cobb could be a huge factor. He has some real skills. Wish we had Diarra. Not sure what Yawke can bring, but he is physical and can defend the post.

Reaction Score
Exaggerate much?

We were within an inch of .500 each of the last two years and we'll have better talent (adding Alterique, Sid, etc, plus players a year more advanced) and better coaching. We'll be well above .500.

As for your implication that the backcourt can't shoot and the frontcourt isn't alive ... well, I hate "fans" who underrate their own players.

I didn't imply anything. I said we need shooters in the back-court and a pulse in the front-court in order to be successful. That pretty much applies to any team. I'd like to think our front-court has improved with Carlton and we have shooters with Gilbert and the 2 Adams.

Reaction Score
News flash: people whose opinions differ from yours are just as capable of knowing and understanding the game as you are...

If there is a difference of opinion between who is a better shooter Ray or Rip (at UConn) or who was a better shooter between Niels and Rashad, then yes differing opinions would not make you wonder whether the other guy really understands the game.

If someone was of the opinion that Phillip Nolan was a better big than Drummond, then yes it is reasonable to question that guy's knowledge of the game...

Its great when fans share their opinions, but also expect to have an opinion called out if its a head-scratcher... its part of the game when it comes to posting :)

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
If there is a difference of opinion between who is a better shooter Ray or Rip (at UConn) or who was a better shooter between Niels and Rashad, then yes differing opinions would not make you wonder whether the other guy really understands the game.

If someone was of the opinion that Phillip Nolan was a better big than Drummond, then yes it is reasonable to question that guy's knowledge of the game...

Its great when fans share their opinions, but also expect to have an opinion called out if its a head-scratcher... its part of the game when it comes to posting :)

The opinion that CV's value to the team exceeds "likeable guy" and "fan favorite" is not a head-scratcher by any reasonable definition of the word.

Reaction Score
The opinion that CV's value to the team exceeds "likeable guy" and "fan favorite" is not a head-scratcher by any reasonable definition of the word.
MadDog said he thinks Vital is more critical to UConn than Alterique.

Reaction Score
That wasn’t my point, just that we need to see material progression from the guys who are returning. But adding Gilbert and Wilson to the mix is a big influx to start.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

I find it odd how many people over and under value CV. He isn't an elite shooting guard, or a guy who will put up 18 a game for a quality team. He's also not some scrub who won't get off the bench. He has some bad mental habits he needs to change, but effort level isn't one of them. From all indications Hurley laid out the changes he wants to see, and Vital bought in.

I expect him to be a valuable contributor, who, due to our depth at guard, gets less time than he has in the past. I don't expect him to start, although he could on occasion. In 2019-20 I think he has a chance to be the starting SG.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
On a team playing clown ball he was the only kid who brought it 100% of the time, no plays off. He led the team in rebounds because he had the biggest heart and the best motor. He wanted it more. You can't teach that.
Also, he was on a terrible offensive team. His numbers will improve within a better offense, as will others.
He shot .318 from 3. Jalen shot .324. Pretty much the same. Only Larrier did better, shooting a lot of 3s.

I think that CV is going to be a critical part to this team. Moreso than Alterique or any newly added player or transfer. We'll see.
I hope so. I haven't checked but I wonder about the efficiency of those points, given that our offense scheme was pretty much pass around arc until the clock winds down and then have CV or JA chuck up a prayer.

You are preaching to the choir though. I like CV. He could have a really good year, if he accepts his role, which isn't going to be the #1 option. I think his 3 pt percentage will increase as shot selectivity improves and he gets more opportunities to shoot in rhythm.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
In 2011 our front court was Alex Oriakhi, Charles Okwandu, Tyler Olander, and Enosch Wolf. We won a national championship with that front court. In 2014 our front court was Tyler Olander, Phil Nolan, freshman Facey, and freshman Brimah. We also won a national championship with that front court. Our guards are good enough to lead us to a tournament in 2019.

The 2011 front court had height and thickness. Oriakhi is 6'-9" (240 lbs). Wolf is 7"-1" (260), and Okwandu is 7'-0" (255).

The 2014 front court had only height (Olander and Nolan are 6'-10" (230 and 212, respectively) Facey is 6'-9" (200), and Brimah is 7'-0" (217)), but the 1, 2, and 3 could move and shoot and Brimah was a great goal keeper. Daniels sometimes played a stretch 4 and was a match-up problem because at 6'-9" (tall for a wing), he could move and shoot.

Both teams had guards who could consistently make an NBA mid-range shot (which counts for 3 points in college) or drive on demand. No one on the 2018-19 team is taller than 6'-9" on paper (i.e. 6'-7" in reality + the 2" media guide bonus) and as was mentioned, the best 3-point shooter forewent his remaining eligibility.

Reaction Score
Good guards know how to get bigs involved. 8-12 points would be nice from Carlton
If Carlton averaged 12 points this season id lose my mine! Averaging 12 points is a lot for a 5 as soph is great. I think reality is more like 7/5/2 which will be enough if everything else falls into place.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I hope so. I haven't checked but I wonder about the efficiency of those points, given that our offense scheme was pretty much pass around arc until the clock winds down and then have CV or JA chuck up a prayer.

You are preaching to the choir though. I like CV. He could have a really good year, if he accepts his role, which isn't going to be the #1 option. I think his 3 pt percentage will increase as shot selectivity improves and he gets more opportunities to shoot in rhythm.

I think MadDog is nuts if he thinks CV is more critical than Gilbert. Gilbert may be better than Jalen by Christmas.

The issue for CV is going to be minutes. I think Wilson, B. Adams and Polley are more likely to get the minutes at the 3 given their height. That leaves CV, who can't play point, backing up Jalen, while Smith backs up Alterique (or plays some 3). That doesn't mean he isn't important. I hope Hurley plays pressure, which will require a deep bench. This team is ideally suited for it.

Two years ago we had two healthy guards total for much of the year. Now we have 5, six if you count Wilson.

Reaction Score
We have a good to really good back court; but there are so many question marks in the front court. The first being rebounding. Christian Vital led our team at rebound last year at 5.4. Our back court still has some issues, 3 pt shooting, assists and turnovers were MISERABLE last year. I think people forget we would go whole halves without an assist. We had a negative assist to turnover ratio. We also shot 32 percent from three and we lost our best three point shooter in Terry Larrier at 37% ( I am excluding Polley because he shot less that 90 3 pointers)

If this team makes the tournament, then we will have overachieved.
That can easily be blamed on the 3-5s not being able to score or hold on to the ball causing the guards to go it alone due to lack of confidence in the big guys. Think back to amidah and how our guards(from bazz to Jalen) would pull the string on feeding him. Got to make buckets to turn passes into assists.

Reaction Score

Sorry if he's more valuable than Alterique this team will be in the same place as last year. He's not that player, he's that good player on a bad team still he certainly has a ton of value on a good team if he understands his piece of the puzzle. I am worried about that with him, his role will be diminished just by the numbers alone does he accept that? I like him hope het gets it, but if Alteriques not playing more then he's hurt again and that's not good.

Last edited:

StepbackCity

I like winning
Reaction Score
You guys are realllly gonna miss Larrier mid season a lot more than you are right now. It’s like people are putting it off as a small loss, in reality, it’s massive.

Reaction Score
You guys are realllly gonna miss Larrier mid season a lot more than you are right now. It’s like people are putting it off as a small loss, in reality, it’s massive.

False.

Reaction Score
Dont agree with this at all. Barring major injuries, UConn will be a better team this year. And Larrier for whatever he was or wasn’t won’t really even be thought of. Even if we struggle I don’t envision a scenario where fans will be saying “if only we had Terry Larrier back.” Appreciate his effort and sorry he got hurt but it was time to move on.

Reaction Score
Sid should be 75% of Larrier. + new blood and re-engaged players + Alosi. I think we'll be ok without Terry

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Larrier was good at some things true, especially stretching the floor at the wing

But he took away what he gave on other things Namely defense, energy, and physicality

Gonna depend on how Sid replaces him. He'll definitely bring more aggression.

We'll also see a lot more 3 guard lineup w the additions of Tarin, Gilbert, and B Adams

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom