Paige on Senior Nite video Un-be-live-able | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Paige on Senior Nite video Un-be-live-able

Reaction Score
She's still playing on a sore pin.

as I've said multiple times over the past couple of years she's been playing too much basketball for a high school athlete..........I'm happy it's just a stress reaction and not something more serious..........

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Well, there you go. Thanks Beercats. Now we have verified proof of her intentions and mindset going into her freshman year.
One of the many topics of debate and speculation over the summer will be who the other 3 starters will be besides Megan and Olivia. There will be a number of viable candidates for those spots. Personally in order to win the NCAA championship I believe UCONN will need both Olivia and Aaliyah on the floor at the same time. After mid-January Meg and Olivia will be joined by Paige, Aaliyah, and Evina/CW depending on Evina's knee.

One last thought, I am very optimistic about our incoming freshmen. I’m hoping that 2-3 will come in and make an immediate impact on the team. Aaliyah, Paige, and Nika

I look at the 3 freshmen starting for South Carolina this year. Zia Cooke, Aliyah Boston and Brea Beal. They are making a Huge impact on their team, well, why not us? Why can’t 2-3 of our freshmen come in and do the same thing (or close to it), and make plays consistently that help us win? Amen!

That’s the attitude I’m going into the summer with. If Dawn can start 3 freshmen, why can’t we have 3 that can come in and play significant minutes from day one? I expect Edwards, Bueckers and Muhl Great minds and all that!! to be ready to play that first exhibition game in November, with Mir (2021 a la Aubrey) and Piath (one, possibly two year effort) not far behind. There’s a very good chance that Dawn wins her second NC this year. They’ve only lost 1 game to this point.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I have now watched a number of Paige’s games and to start for UConn her defense will have to improve dramatically. I also wonder if she has the body frame for college ball. I also question her speed, especially on defense. Hope I’m wrong. She’s a very, very good high school player.

Reaction Score
I have now watched a number of Paige’s games and to start for UConn her defense will have to improve dramatically. I also wonder if she has the body frame for college ball. I also question her speed, especially on defense. Hope I’m wrong. She’s a very, very good high school player.
I think every kid coming out of high school, especially the offensive minded ones, need to shore up their defensive skills and she’ll learn this week#1/week#2/week#3/etc. A lot of folks probably said the same thing about Stevie when she came out of high school and her frame didn’t change much in four years and still hasn’t.

Reaction Score
After watching that video, all I can say is Wow! However, she will be playing against very good and some excellent players on opposing teams and learning the UConn system. This is not to say that she can't do this quickly, with her playing skills and knowledge. One thought, I think that I would like to see her on the floor starting with Evina this would match Evina's experience with Paige's explosive court dynamics.

Reaction Score

yes she's pretty slow and skinny...............do you think she might get a start by her senior season?

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score

There are other videos on here but a must see Paige is un be live able. If she plays like that at UConn she will be POY as a freshman. Woozer

If one of Paige's shots ever hits the rim before going in, some Boneyard devotee will start a thread on her regression.

Reaction Score
I remember when a reporter asked Geno about Shoni Schimmel during her junior season prior to the championship game, he said something along the lines of "I need to find me one of those." Paige is a more disciplined Schimmel in many respects and plays better defense! I've been waiting for the day that Geno found his "Sho-time" so that I could reference that remark. Paige is a game changer!

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I remember when a reporter asked Geno about Shoni Schimmel during her junior season prior to the championship game, he said something along the lines of "I need to find me one of those." Paige is a more disciplined Schimmel in many respects and plays better defense! I've been waiting for the day that Geno found his "Sho-time" so that I could reference that remark. Paige is a game changer!

Probably falls under buttering up your opponent. :rolleyes:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
My only real question after watching that highlight is what number will she wear at UConn as #1 is verboten...or will Geno/CD reconsider that? :rolleyes:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
My only real question after watching that highlight is what number will she wear at UConn as #1 is verboten...or will Geno/CD reconsider that? :rolleyes:

Well she wore #5 in USA Basketball and did well.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
IMO she should wear the number "3" To all time greats wore 3. Diana and Babe Ruth

Reaction Score

There are other videos on here but a must see Paige is un be live able. If she plays like that at UConn she will be POY as a freshman. Woozer

They bring in the "Washington Generals" for this senior night game?

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score

I've said for a while that she will take Crystal's #5 and people didn't seem to think that would be the case...

IMO she should wear the number "3" To all time greats wore 3. Diana and Babe Ruth

Megan going to change numbers for her senior year?

Reaction Score
STARTING LINE-UP

At the 1 - Paige Beuckers
At the 2 - Christyn Williams
At the 3 - Anna Mukurat;
At the 4 - Megan Walker
At the 5 - Olivia Nelson Ododa

ROTATION

Coming off the bench at the 1: Nika Muhl...
Coming off the bench at the 2: Evina Westbrook
Coming off the bench at the 3: Aubrey Griffin
Coming off the bench at the 4: Mir McLean
Coming off the bench at the 5: Aaliyah Edwards; Piath Gabriel

As usual, a thoughtful and well reasoned post. I'll only alter that starting lineup by putting Westbrook in for Bueckers. (and maybe listing both Makurat and Walker as 3/4's)

Historically:
1. Geno loves having a 6th man who can change the tempo/energy of the game. Bueckers fills that in spades and would also rouse up the crowd, both home and away.
2. Geno has a history of not starting freshman unless forced to by his roster. UConn will be deep, talented and experienced at 1-3.
3. Geno has a history of playing seniors. He also has a history of playing those who are looking for a high draft position (Walker & Westbrook). A big part of UConn's allure is their pipeline to the W and with the new proposed transfer rule that pipeline becomes an even bigger lure.

Specific to Bueckers
1. Bueckers can be effective at the 1 or the 2. And Geno can move Westbrook from the 1 to either the 2 or 3. That gives Geno the choice of who comes out for Bueckers.
2. Geno likes to make sure his star freshmen succeed when they play. Bueckers will be much better if she can observe the play for a while and see what needs to change, who needs the ball more, what is working and what isn't. She is a prodigy and a basketball savant, of that I have no doubt. But she lacks experience running an offense like UConn. Having her on the bench initially allows him to mentor her early in the game.
3. Bueckers doesn't have either the strength nor the stamina to play long minutes over an entire college season. If she were to start and be successful it would mean Geno wouldn't want to take her out and she could be over-used. I remember the beatings Taurasi took, especially in her last 2 years. Now I know Bueckers has a fighter's mentality and would play through the rough stuff but she would be much better off late in the season if her legs were still fresh.
4. Bueckers can watch her defensive assignment live and that can only help her.

(BTW) We met at Dave Fletcher's. Don't remember who UConn played but I enjoyed the pizza, beer and even that horse-sized lap dog of Dave's. LOL

Reaction Score
The starting point guard position will be open next year, so her timing is perfect with respect for coming to UConn at just the right time.

Is there a player waiting in the wings to assume that role? I don’t think so. Someone correct me if I’m wrong. Westbrook will be eligible to play next year, and it is assumed by all that she will start. Will it be at the point?

I’m not going to predict anything at this time. Someone will start at the point, that we know. The question is who? Paige may not start as a freshman (or maybe she will), if she can make plays at this level like those in the video, and spark the offense, she’s got a real good chance.

I think it will be impossible to keep her on the bench. She appears to be a player that is not bothered or influenced by big game bright lights. Paige is not going to be special, she’s already special. This just in...................play makers do not sit on the bench!!!

There are a number of adjustments she needs to make between now and then, she’ll make them. We’ll see in November where she is in her transition from HS to “elite” wcbb. I’m excited as anyone that she’s coming, but I’m going to temper my expectations and enthusiasm until I see her play against Division 1 competition. I’ll root for her, and will be one of her biggest fans. Don’t be surprised if she becomes the face of the program before the end of her sophomore year. :cool:

I'm most concerned about her slight frame and how she will deal with the strength and size of more physically mature college players. The rest of her game is pretty special.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I'm most concerned about her slight frame and how she will deal with the strength and size of more physically mature college players. The rest of her game is pretty special.

Wikipedia has Paige listed at 5’11” - 146 lbs. Crystal is listed at 5’5”. I doubt if she weighs more even though she’s been in the weight room for the last 3 years. The speed and the physicality at this level will be 2 of the adjustments Paige will have to make. I’m betting she cross those bridges during the summer in the pickup games on campus with her new teammates. I'm not the least bit concerned. Ballers ball!!! ;)

Last edited:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I've said for a while that she will take Crystal's #5 and people didn't seem to think that would be the case...

Megan going to change numbers for her senior year?
@Tonyc may be having a "Senior moment" as when was the last time he was at a game this year to see Meg in it? ;)

I am curious about the number though...11 seems logical to me as well and it's not up on the wall yet and it fits @Carnac logic of 5'11 for Paige and 5'5" for Crystal Dangerfield. While #5 isn't up on the wall either, hopefully that will change this year...:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Here are some thoughts about next year's line-up and rotation:

1. Paige Beuckers will have some challenges next year taking the starting point guard position.... But, given the returning players and where they should naturally play, I think Geno will have a lot of difficulty keeping Paige off the floor. 2. Christyn Williams with her sophomore slump way behind her will show everyone why she was a number one recruit out of high school...she will start next years. year at her natural position.
3. Anna Mukurat has shown a real aptitude for the game...her passing is incredible, she sees the floor...is a decent rebounder and when she is shooting well it is a beautiful thing to watch. She...should start next year 4. No way you keep Megan Walker out of the line-up....she starts and she crushes it next year.
5. I believe Olivia Nelson Ododa will show UConn fans that she is an All American post player. Odo starts next year and will do amazing things.

Evina Westbrook does present a problem because of her level of talent...and her history as an elite player. We are going to be very happy with having Evina Westbrook available to play...Evina was the number 2 player she started for Tennessee, at point guard. Her transfer to UConn from former arch rival Tennessee was not without its contentious moments as many of her Tennessee fans thought the transfer was sacrilegious. It is going to be a tough decision for Geno...especially given that the kid sat out a year of ineligibility. But, I think Geno will have Evina and Christyn splitting time. I also see her spending some time at the 1...

STARTING LINE-UP

At the 1 - Paige Beuckers
At the 2 - Christyn Williams
At the 3 - Anna Mukurat;
At the 4 - Megan Walker
At the 5 - Olivia Nelson Ododa

ROTATION

Coming off the bench at the 1: Nika Muhl...
Coming off the bench at the 2: Evina Westbrook
Coming off the bench at the 3: Aubrey Griffin
Coming off the bench at the 4: Mir McLean
Coming off the bench at the 5: Aaliyah Edwards; Piath Gabriel

After last weeks Coach's Show (iHeart ESPN) Geno spent another hour taking questions from the audience in attendance and regaling us with anecdotes in his own inimitable way. Someone asked for his thoughts regarding his incoming recruits for next year, to which he responded that he is very excited about next years group; Geno mentioned Paige, Nika, as well as Evina, who he said is a terrific player. It'll be exciting to watch.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Bueckers doesn't have either the strength nor the stamina to play long minutes over an entire college season.
I wonder if you had the same opinion about Stewie? If Geno had your opinion would he have recruited her? Normally I'm with you, but not on this point.

Reaction Score
Good Lord! I don't see Geno retiring while Paige is at UConn.

Reaction Score
Like all the other Boneyarders I am hoping that Paige is the "real thing". In the end there is only one opinion that counts and he happens to be the head coach and, by all accounts, he looked like a child opening their Christmas present when she committed to Uconn. Barring any conclusive evidence to the contrary I'll go along with his opinion.

Reaction Score
She will probably show up at Uconn during the summer session during which time she will be introduced to the weight room along with some of the other instruments of the torture chamber. I don't think it will take her too much time to evolve from a high school to a college basketball frame.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I wonder if Geno will let her loose? A player with this level of talent and court awareness needs a long leash. The other ladies will have to learn to anticipate the pass at any time.

"I wonder if Geno will let her loose?" - I think it depends on how fast she learns the offense, and can run it to HIS satisfaction. She has to learn the offense first!! She can't be out there "Willy-Nilly". She's got to know what she's doing, and where she's suppose to be......on both ends of the court! Once she learns the offense, Geno is going to have a very hard time keeping her on the bench.

She likes to push the ball up the court, that's good. It's hard to play defense while you're back-pedaling. :D

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom