Paige Bueckers AP National Player of the Year | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Paige Bueckers AP National Player of the Year

Reaction Score
I wouldn’t be shocked if Fudd has a less-acclaimed freshman season than Bueckers. For one, she’s coming off an ACL injury, and as a shooting guard I don’t think she’ll have the ball in her hands quite as often.

My primary reasoning, though, is that this UConn team is unlikely to lose anybody and gains a loaded freshman class. There are only so many shots to go around in a 40-minute game. At the end of the day, that’s going to manifest in improved team success, so it’s not a drawback for the Huskies.
You do realize that had her ACL injury almost two years ago and already played 3/4 of a basketball season her junior year, a full AAU season last summer and then 2 games this past season, so I would hardly define that as "coming off an ACL injury!" By the fall it will be well past two years since her injury, so at what point do you not mention her ACL injury that she is "coming off"?

Reaction Score
So by using the "SEARCH" Function which so many people ignore-it is easy to see the numerous posts on this. The excerpt I am about to post is from Feb 24th "requirement for banner in Gampel" from our own @meyers7 to which I know most us base our knowledge on as it is extremely logical. Now if you care to cite your sources for "disagreement" instead of stating "NO", that would be much appreciated.

Yes this comes up every year (at least recently).

Again there are 3 major groups/organizations that have AA lists. (a bunch of smaller irrelevant ones for this, also)

AP - does 3 (5 player) teams (1st team, 2nd team, 3rd team)
WBCA (Women's Basketball Coaches Assoc) - does 1 (10 player) team (1st team)
USBWA (United States Basketball Writers Assoc) - does 1 (10 player) team (1st team)

UCONN states 1st team AA. (nowhere have I read what specific organization(s) that means)

From history, if you are on the 1st team AP list, you'll be on the WBCA list. We can assume if you make either one of them you're on the wall. We have never had anyone make the USBWA list and not be on the WBCA list, so we have no proof that one would also count. However, in UCONN's Media Guide, they list AP, WBCA and USBWA AA's. So I would assume, making any of the 3 (1st team) would count.
Everybody can lighten up. Regardless of the criteria (I agree it’s WCBA), there is virtually 0% chance Paige doesn’t get on the wall.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I can remember many people stating that she wouldn't be in the starting five until after the first of the year because Geno doesn't start Freshman. Boy were they wrong and I'm glad they were. We got to see Paige warts and all and grow to be the AP National Player of the Year.
Warts??

Reaction Score
You do realize that had her ACL injury almost two years ago and already played 3/4 of a basketball season her junior year, a full AAU season last summer and then 2 games this past season, so I would hardly define that as "coming off an ACL injury!" By the fall it will be well past two years since her injury, so at what point do you not mention her ACL injury that she is "coming off"?
Well, for starters, this from 02/25 of this year: “I just want to be completely comfortable and get back 100 percent of my confidence and just feeling good again,” Fudd said. “It’ll go up and down with how it feels in games. It’s not something I ever think about like, ‘Am I going to injure it again?’ Before, if I was missing shots or a game wasn’t going my way, I could brush it off easily. Now I tend to get in my head a little bit more, so I want to get rid of that habit.” [source]

You also wrote your angry post as though I insulted Fudd’s skill and talent when I merely stated she’s had a serious injury before and won’t likely have the ball in her hands as often as Bueckers does at PG. Not once did I say or suggest that Fudd won’t be an exceptional player for the Huskies. You need to take a breath and watch your approach. Several of your fellow UConn fans regularly criticize active players but jump to conclusions the minute someone suggests an incoming player might not be the next NPOY.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
So by using the "SEARCH" Function which so many people ignore-it is easy to see the numerous posts on this. The excerpt I am about to post is from Feb 24th "requirement for banner in Gampel" from our own @meyers7 to which I know most us base our knowledge on as it is extremely logical. Now if you care to cite your sources for "disagreement" instead of stating "NO", that would be much appreciated.

Yes this comes up every year (at least recently).

Again there are 3 major groups/organizations that have AA lists. (a bunch of smaller irrelevant ones for this, also)

AP - does 3 (5 player) teams (1st team, 2nd team, 3rd team)
WBCA (Women's Basketball Coaches Assoc) - does 1 (10 player) team (1st team)
USBWA (United States Basketball Writers Assoc) - does 1 (10 player) team (1st team)

UCONN states 1st team AA. (nowhere have I read what specific organization(s) that means)

From history, if you are on the 1st team AP list, you'll be on the WBCA list. We can assume if you make either one of them you're on the wall. We have never had anyone make the USBWA list and not be on the WBCA list, so we have no proof that one would also count. However, in UCONN's Media Guide, they list AP, WBCA and USBWA AA's. So I would assume, making any of the 3 (1st team) would count.

The writers switched to a 5-player 1st team 3 years ago.

Reaction Score
Not sure the timing, but pretty sure KLS & Pheesa had their numbers up in Werth while they were still playing at UConn.

I don't think that's the case. Their numbers were revealed during senior day/night, same with Moriah and Breanna even though Breanna obviously qualified long before that. I think that makes sense at Uconn because it is kind of weird to be playing in the court with your name already hanging on the wall.

Reaction Score
Absolutely love the kid....never saw a woman as good....so young, so humble...Paige is the real deal, no phoniness in her bones. BUT when she gets back to practice, the the #1 coach of all time will be back in her face, telling her that she was in a coma, and other remarks to get her going. What a tandem...Geno Auriemma & Paige Buckets, we are blessed. Hoping like hell that the kids win,, no matter what....Paige, Paige, Paige!....Congratulations!

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I don't think that's the case. Their numbers were revealed during senior day/night, same with Moriah and Breanna even though Breanna obviously qualified long before that. I think that makes sense at Uconn because it is kind of weird to be playing in the court with your name already hanging on the wall.
If I remember correctly they were up on the wall in the Werth practice facility after their Sophomore season, along with Gabby's, and stayed there until they had their Senior Night. You could see them in one of KLS's interviews that SNY did for the Geno Show.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
If I remember correctly they were up on the wall in the Werth practice facility after their Sophomore season, along with Gabby's, and stayed there until they had their Senior Night. You could see them in one of KLS's interviews that SNY did for the Geno Show.
As info, Tuck earned her WBCA 1st team AA her senior year. It was announced the day before UConn’s 4th straight championship in 2016. Her number was raised in Gampel during the on campus celebration at Gampel that followed the championship.

That brings to mind the question, is Megan Walker’s number up at Gampel, and if so when was it put there?

Reaction Score
As info, Tuck earned her WBCA 1st team AA her senior year. It was announced the day before UConn’s 4th straight championship in 2016. Her number was raised in Gampel during the on campus celebration at Gampel that followed the championship.

That brings to mind the question, is Megan Walker’s number up at Gampel, and if so when was it put there?
It's not there because she has to graduate first.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score

I don't think it has because she was short some credits when she left UConn. I don't know if she completed them or not.

Reaction Score

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score

This is Stewie's and MoJeff's Senior Night, what does it have to do with KLS and Pheesa's hanging in the Werth practice facility a year later.

Reaction Score
This is Stewie's and MoJeff's Senior Night, what does it have to do with KLS and Pheesa's hanging in the Werth practice facility a year later.

I may be wrong but I always thought the Huskies of Honor banners are the ones hanging in Gampel wall, not any practice facility, and that is only revealed during Senior Day/Night.

Reaction Score

If it took him that long to see it, he had a much higher opinion of what he had returning from last year than I did. I never doubted for a second that she'd be the best player he had this year.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Hooray for Paige. What an accomplishment. Well deserved.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I may be wrong but I always thought the Huskies of Honor banners are the ones hanging in Gampel wall, not any practice facility, and that is only revealed during Senior Day/Night.

I believe it is displayed in the practice facility once they earn it, but officially recognized and revealed on their Senior Day/Night.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom