PAC dysfunction | Page 9 | The Boneyard

PAC dysfunction

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Oregon created a webpage discussing the benefits of joining the B1G:

Interesting. I wonder if they've been getting some alumni/booster blowback on the decision?

I thought this was interesting spin:

1704727895170.png

Note that the focus is on "travel days" rather than "travel time." Kids may be on an airplane for three or four hours more in any given day, but it's still only one "travel day" right?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Interesting. I wonder if they've been getting some alumni/booster blowback on the decision?

I thought this was interesting spin:

Note that the focus is on "travel days" rather than "travel time." Kids may be on an airplane for three or four hours more in any given day, but it's still only one "travel day" right?

Everything happened so fast, I'm not sure there was time for pushback. At least with USC and UCLA, there was still a PAC-12 to go back to for the first year after the announcement, even though there is no way that would have happened. With Oregon and Washington, they left the same day as 3 of the 4 corner schools (Colorado had left the week before), so all that was left at the end of that day in August was Oregon State, Washington State, Cal and Stanford (the latter two found their way to the ACC in a matter of weeks). So even if Oregon or Washington fans were upset, there was essentially nothing to return to.

If this was Superman, Krypton (PAC-12) exploded and just before explosion, Superman (Oregon/Washington) was put on a space shuttle to Earth (B1G).

Reaction Score
"The withdrawal and termination fees are waived if the entire 12-school Mountain West is accepted into the new Pac-12."

So that essentially guarantees a full merger? Or the PAC2 spends 2027 as a true independent and they try to pick apart the MWC for 2028

Reaction Score
For 2025:
8 full member teams only, minimum conf requirement.

Oregon State
Washington State
Rice
Tulane
USF
Temple
UMass
Delaware

Affiliate Football:

Army (Patriot)
Navy (Patriot)
UConn (Big East)
Nova (Big East)

Then, Aug 2, 2027 the MWC invites go out to San Diego State, Fresno State, Boise State, and Colorado State. USF, Temple, UMass, and UD go to the A10 but stay as affiliate FB:

Western Division: 8 full members

Oregon State
Washington State
San Diego State
Fresno State
Boise State
Colorado State
Rice
Tulane

Eastern Division, 8 FB affiliates.

Army - Patriot (FB only)
Navy - Patriot (FB only)
UConn - Big East (FB only)
Nova - Big East (FB only)
Temple - A10 (FB only)
UMass - A10 (FB only)
Delaware - A10 (FB only)
USF - A10 (FB only)

The PAC has a 2024 plan with a MWC contract.

For 2025-2026, the PAC has 8 full members plus 4 affiliate members. It meets NCAA requirements and stays alive without stepping on its MWC commitment.

For 2027 forward, 8 full members + 8 east coast affiliate members. Texas/NOLA stays west. Florida stays east.

The AAC can be poached without any financial hurdles.

The east coast affiliates are the Mass-NY-Phila-DC mega market plus Florida.

With east coast affiliates the PAC can safely stay at 8 full members without unnecessary west coast dilution. Zags and St Mary’s are invited as members, non-football, for a 10 team basketball schedule.

Reaction Score
For 2025:
8 full member teams only, minimum conf requirement.

Oregon State
Washington State
Rice
Tulane
USF
Temple
UMass
Delaware

Affiliate Football:

Army (Patriot)
Navy (Patriot)
UConn (Big East)
Nova (Big East)

Then, Aug 2, 2027 the MWC invites go out to San Diego State, Fresno State, Boise State, and Colorado State. USF, Temple, UMass, and UD go to the A10 but stay as affiliate FB:

Oregon State
Washington State
San Diego State
Fresno State
Boise State
Colorado State
Rice
Tulane

Army - Patriot (FB only)
Navy - Patriot (FB only)
UConn - Big East (FB only)
Nova - Big East (FB only)
Temple - A10 (FB only)
UMass - A10 (FB only)
Delaware - A10 (FB only)
USF - A10 (FB only)

The PAC has a 2024 plan with a MWC contract.

For 2025-2026, the PAC has 8 full members plus 4 affiliate members. It meets NCAA requirements and stays alive without stepping on its MWC commitment.

For 2027 forward, 8 full members + 8 east coast affiliate members. Texas/NOLA stays west. Florida stays east.

The AAC can be poached without any financial hurdles.

The east coast affiliates are the Mass-NY-Phila-DC mega market plus Florida.

With east coast affiliates the PAC can safely stay at 8 full members without unnecessary west coast dilution. Zags and St Mary’s are invited as members, non-football, for a 10 team basketball schedule.

The A10 in the end nets 3 good adds: USF, UD, and Temple.

The MWC is left with Air Force, Reno, UNLV, New Mex, San Jose, Utah State, Wyoming, and Hawaii. That’s 8.

The AAC remnants: UAB, East Carolina, FAU,
Memphis, Charlotte, North Texas, UT San Antonio, and Tulsa. That’s 8 (plus the Shockers for BB).

The remnants of the MWC and the AAC can merge and finally realize Aresco’s dream of a national footprint.

Reaction Score

Year end Div 1 Sagarin

Nova - 93
Army - 104
USF - 107
Navy - 122
Delaware - 143
UConn - 152
Temple - 173
UMass - 180

Reaction Score

Year end Div 1 Sagarin

Oregon State - 19
Washington State - 39
Boise State - 46
Tulane - 61
Fresno State - 75
Rice - 100
San Diego State - 109
Colorado State - 111

Reaction Score
The B12 TV deal is ~$32M per school. Not apples to apples, but let’s give the AAC full $7M per school credit.

MWC at $4M per school.

The PAC was about $20M per school (x12 = $240M)

Seek an initial PAC TV deal at $30M each for the PAC-2 founders and $10M each for everyone else. That’s an average of $12.5M per team. Army-Navy game stays separate. That’s a net improvement for every member of the new conference. The PAC-2 even make out ok vs most of their defectors.

Reaction Score
Zissou. Nobody here is interested in your fan fiction. That is what this is. Fan fiction

Reaction Score
"You're traveling through another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind. A journey into a wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagination."

(cue music from Twilight Zone theme}

But then, college football has indeed entered the Twilight Zone...so why not dream the most outlandish tales ?

Reaction Score
"You're traveling through another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind. A journey into a wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagination."

(cue music from Twilight Zone theme}

But then, college football has indeed entered the Twilight Zone...so why not dream the most outlandish tales ?

Exactly. Rutgers to the Big10, PAC crumbles, FSU sues the ACC, SMU to the ACC, mass hysteria, human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together…

I remember when you thought the possibility of UConn to the Big East was an outlandish tale. I think you said it would be suicide for UConn athletics.

The PAC-2 is in an outlandish situation. The solution will take some imagination.

Reaction Score
Wrongo...I said that UConn football would ultimately not be better served by the move...if UConn had built a competitive football team...they'd be in the Big 12 with Houston, Cincinnati, UCF.

Folks can scheme...it's just that your dreaming is on the far end of the whacko scale. But hey, whackos rule in this day. Notre Dame could join the ACC, USF could go to the A-10, Nova and Oregon State could play football in the same league and I could live to be 95.

Reaction Score
Wrongo...I said that UConn football would ultimately not be better served by the move...if UConn had built a competitive football team...they'd be in the Big 12 with Houston, Cincinnati, UCF.

Folks can scheme...it's just that your dreaming is on the far end of the whacko scale. But hey, whackos rule in this day. Notre Dame could join the ACC, USF could go to the A-10, Nova and Oregon State could play football in the same league and I could live to be 95.
“Athletic Suicide” I believe.

So after you were against it, you were for it?

Reaction Score
I said, as did a few, that basketball would thrive back to its roots, but football would have a much more difficult time as an Independent....and that it was a forced choice that had to be made...save your #1 sport.

And that $$$ might be more difficult to come by...If, if, if...the football and basketball had been in a better cycle in the AAC, Uconn would be in the Big 12...

Reaction Score

Year end Div 1 Sagarin

Nova - 93
Army - 104
USF - 107
Navy - 122
Delaware - 143
UConn - 152
Temple - 173
UMass - 180
I am open to any and all "fiction" scenarios. This craziness has been going on so long nothing is off the table.

Reaction Score
Zissou. Nobody here is interested in your fan fiction. That is what this is. Fan fiction
Fan fiction fills the void between the games, and the actual Conference Realignment moves. How many of the posters have been spot on with all of the Conf Realignment moves of the last 20(?) years? It's interesting, and entertaining. Some of the thoughts and proposals are more far fetched than others, but hey, I read them and enjoy them. You never know, when that B1G Commissioners job opens if they don't search the BY like it is ZipRecruiter(Is that fanfiction enough for you??)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom