PAC 12 WBB News | Page 27 | The Boneyard

PAC 12 WBB News

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I was down on ASU for much of the season but CTT has them playing much better and I have them as favorites this weekend over both Wash schools. I simply am not sold on WSU at all and will watch both their games this weekend to see if I can muster any support for the Cougs (doubt it). I am slowly coming around on ASU and Utah. My guess is Stanford is a lock for Reg and Tourny titles, AZ and UO will battle for 2nd and both host opening rounds. Utah is in, ASU is a bubble team as is OSU others are outside looking in. Too many injuries or a soft schedule doom the remaining lot.
They were just slapped with a forfeit from the Pac-12 office. ASU and Coach CTT

Reaction Score
They were just slapped with a forfeit from the Pac-12 office. ASU and Coach CTT
Link to statement from Pac-12

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
In the post game show after the second U of A game CTT reiterated the challenge of playing four straight road games nine days which I believe is only happened a handful of times. I'm wondering if while it might have been a mutual consent thing it was prompted by ASU.
This month, Oregon has played away games on Feb. 4, 6, 9, 11, (and arrived only a couple of hours before game time at Arizona on the 4th), with home games on Feb. 1, 13, and 16. That's 4 straight away games in 8 days, and 7 total over 16 (or 8 over 18, if you add a Jan. 30th home game). So I don't think CTT has a lot to complain about.

Reaction Score
I was down on ASU for much of the season but CTT has them playing much better and I have them as favorites this weekend over both Wash schools. I simply am not sold on WSU at all and will watch both their games this weekend to see if I can muster any support for the Cougs (doubt it). I am slowly coming around on ASU and Utah. My guess is Stanford is a lock for Reg and Tourny titles, AZ and UO will battle for 2nd and both host opening rounds. Utah is in, ASU is a bubble team as is OSU others are outside looking in. Too many injuries or a soft schedule doom the remaining lot.
The Friday match up at WSU is key for both teams. A Sun Devil loss should pave the way for the Sun Devils to move up from a playing game. A Cougs' win should have a similar impact although the best they may hope for is a playing game.

CTT indicated in her weekly show that the team is really coming together and overcoming injuries and a lost January due to covid. If CTT's squad can dictate the pace of the game and not get too excited I like our chances.

On the other hand the sisters can get explosive and ASU still has a tendency to leave three-point shooters open. I think the cancellation of the Cal game is really going to help ASU with both recovery and some practice time allowing the team to focus on what they need to do defensively.

Reaction Score
Link to statement from Pac-12
Interesting. I know CTT weighed a win against the Bears versus rest, recovery and practice for Washington State University. Sure hope this doesn't come back to bite ASU in the butt come tournament time. Depending on seeding for the Pac-12 tournament if ASU is one and done we may look back and wish we had that W.

In my view this makes the Friday game against the Cougs a must win for ASU. AND the Sun Devils better not drop the ball against Washington, SoCal, or UCLA.

Reaction Score
This month, Oregon has played away games on Feb. 4, 6, 9, 11, (and arrived only a couple of hours before game time at Arizona on the 4th), with home games on Feb. 1, 13, and 16. That's 4 straight away games in 8 days, and 7 total over 16 (or 8 over 18, if you add a Jan. 30th home game). So I don't think CTT has a lot to complain about.
I don't think she was complaining I think she was observing. Four games in 9 days is relatively rare in women's basketball I believe it's only happened a handful of times. Clearly that travel had an impact on the Ducks quack quack. Her calculus of the impact on the team led her to accept that forfeit against the Bears.

I'm sure a number of considerations went into her calculation. One may be the impact on Maggie Besslink. She was absent from the last two games and I think even 20 minutes or less from her per game is imperative for us to be successful down the stretch. I would love to know why she made this decision and hopefully she'll give some indication in the pregame with Jeff Munn before the big game on Friday.

As to coaches complaining don't they always do that? Whether it's complaining or observing rather depends on your perspective doesn't it?

In any event the Ducks overcame The Sweep in Arizona and took care of business against UCLA. Perhaps CTT looked at the impact on Grave's team from that stretch of games and use that as the basis for her decision to forfeit Cal.

Yesterday at 1:30 I grew frustrated as I couldn't find the pregame show on the radio. Then when two came and went with no broadcast I was getting very agitated. Took me a minute to even consider cancellation so of course I turned to the Boneyard to find out what had happened.

Reaction Score
Agree. Utah and Az St look like better clubs than Cougs. Love them Cougs and have no idea why. Maybe because they are perennial underdogs. Liked following Chanelle Molina and kept following the team after she graduated

Last edited:

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score

Details of Scott's extension. Wonder what CTT thinks..... 30% more than she currently earns.
In fairness, I think Rueck would say that in the past decade since he started at OSU, including a disastrous first-year rebuild-from-scratch, he's delivered at least 30% more post-season wins (14 vs. 8 NCAA tournament wins), at least 30% more PAC-12 titles (3 regular season and 1 conference vs. 1 regular season), and at least 30% more conference wins (119 vs. 92).

All that said, as they say in investment land, past performance is not a prediction of future returns. But since when has any coach's renewed contract been based on anything other than their recent past performance, rather than predicted future? If it weren't, then, David Shaw, our football coach, should be in jail for contract fraud!

Reaction Score
In fairness, I think Rueck would say that in the past decade since he started at OSU, including a disastrous first-year rebuild-from-scratch, he's delivered at least 30% more post-season wins (14 vs. 8 NCAA tournament wins), at least 30% more PAC-12 titles (3 regular season and 1 conference vs. 1 regular season), and at least 30% more conference wins (119 vs. 92).

All that said, as they say in investment land, past performance is not a prediction of future returns. But since when has any coach's renewed contract been based on anything other than their recent past performance, rather than predicted future? If it weren't, then, David Shaw, our football coach, should be in jail for contract fraud!
Great point! No doubt a tremendous rebuilding job. His efforts are similar to what CTT accomplished when she arrived at Arizona State University back in the late 90s. Clearly timing is all.

One of the differences between the Oregon schools and Arizona State is the willingness to step up particularly with the women's programs.

ASU has a disastrous history of rewarding men's coaches particularly football I'm thinking of Todd Graham and now the agony of Herm Edwards both of whom received substantial salaries and Graham's buyout was absolutely amazing.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Missy is reffing the Stanford-OSU game, and it is a total and utter coincidence that four of our five starters, as well as Belibi, have already been whistled for a foul, with minutes remaining in Q1. I'm shocked, shocked by this development... And it's good that she is calling it tight, too, because Stanford and OSU are two teams known for being notoriously physical and injury-threatening to their opponents...

Reaction Score
I’m just not a fan of the way Tara coaches. To me she overcoaches with her subbing. Player gets a foul early in game, right to bench. She had 3 starters on the bench in first 90 seconds.

I know their rotation is deep but I want more minutes with Brink and Jones.

Reaction Score
Screen Shot 2022-02-18 at 9.54.25 PM.png

What in the world. Time to give the fans a refund.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Missy is reffing the Stanford-OSU game, and it is a total and utter coincidence that four of our five starters, as well as Belibi, have already been whistled for a foul, with minutes remaining in Q1. I'm shocked, shocked by this development... And it's good that she is calling it tight, too, because Stanford and OSU are two teams known for being notoriously physical and injury-threatening to their opponents...
Yes and almost as bad are the two clueless announcers!

Reaction Score
How bout them Cougars! How does Wash St beat these teams? Az St 1-7 on the road. Will the Cougs make the tourney? They are the least respected of the mid tier teams in the conference

undersized

Iowa/Indiana/Big Ten Fan
Reaction Score
How bout them Cougars! How does Wash St beat these teams? Az St 1-7 on the road. Will the Cougs make the tourney? They are the least respected of the mid tier teams in the conference
Washington State is a fascinating team for sure. As has been discussed, the only PAC-12 teams who seem like locks for the NCAA tournament at this point are Oregon, Arizona, and Stanford. But there is a log jam in the middle of the conference including the following teams, ordered by the NET rankings as of 2/17:
#22 Utah
#34 Colorado
#39 Arizona State
#49 Oregon State
#54 UCLA
#67 Washington State

Although Washington State is at the bottom of the bunch in terms of NET rankings, they fair better when you look the head to head match-ups within this bunch. They beat Colorado, Oregon State, and Arizona State. They split with UCLA. They lost to Utah. Because of this, they are currently 4th in the conference. Pencil in losses to Arizona and Stanford and hopefully a win against Cal, and they still finish a respectable 10-7 in conference. Normally that kind of conference record would get you into the tournament.

So, why is Washington State's NET so low? Their "bad" loss to #104 Stony Brook early in the season plays a role. But perhaps more importantly, they have struggled to hang around in games with really good teams:
-18 point loss to BYU
-28 point loss to NC State
-38 point loss to Stanford
-53 point loss to Oregon
These types of blowout losses really damage a team's offensive and defensive efficiency numbers, which are factored into NET rankings.

All this is to say, I'm really curious to see who from the PAC will get an at large bid, because the different criteria contradict each other to a certain extent. At this point, I do think Washington State will make it. The resumes of the PAC bubble teams are all pretty thin, so it makes sense to me that the committee would prioritize looking at the head to head matchups within this group, which is favorable to Washington State. Who agrees/disagrees?

Reaction Score
Washington State is a fascinating team for sure. As has been discussed, the only PAC-12 teams who seem like locks for the NCAA tournament at this point are Oregon, Arizona, and Stanford. But there is a log jam in the middle of the conference including the following teams, ordered by the NET rankings as of 2/17:
#22 Utah
#34 Colorado
#39 Arizona State
#49 Oregon State
#54 UCLA
#67 Washington State

Although Washington State is at the bottom of the bunch in terms of NET rankings, they fair better when you look the head to head match-ups within this bunch. They beat Colorado, Oregon State, and Arizona State. They split with UCLA. They lost to Utah. Because of this, they are currently 4th in the conference. Pencil in losses to Arizona and Stanford and hopefully a win against Cal, and they still finish a respectable 10-7 in conference. Normally that kind of conference record would get you into the tournament.

So, why is Washington State's NET so low? Their "bad" loss to #104 Stony Brook early in the season plays a role. But perhaps more importantly, they have struggled to hang around in games with really good teams:
-18 point loss to BYU
-28 point loss to NC State
-38 point loss to Stanford
-53 point loss to Oregon
These types of blowout losses really damage a team's offensive and defensive efficiency numbers, which are factored into NET rankings.

All this is to say, I'm really curious to see who from the PAC will get an at large bid, because the different criteria contradict each other to a certain extent. At this point, I do think Washington State will make it. The resumes of the PAC bubble teams are all pretty thin, so it makes sense to me that the committee would prioritize looking at the head to head matchups within this group, which is favorable to Washington State. Who agrees/disagrees?
With this big win the Cougars control their fate. I think if they split with Arizona and Stanford they get the invite to the dance over the Sun Devils.

Unfortunately for CCT's squad they'll need a deep run in the tournament (not likely) to have a chance for an invite. Their lack of rebounding in this game doomed their chances. CTT as often said when the Devils are plus 10 overall and plus five offensively they're in good shape.

Second road game in a row the Devil's had a fourth quarter opportunity. In past years the Devil's often had the answer usually with defensive stops.

Kudos to the Cougs.

Reaction Score
I’m just not a fan of the way Tara coaches. To me she overcoaches with her subbing. Player gets a foul early in game, right to bench. She had 3 starters on the bench in first 90 seconds.

I know their rotation is deep but I want more minutes with Brink and Jones.
I'm not a fan either, for entirely different reason: it works well! Tara is the absolute best at in game substitutions. At the OSU game last night, and with the deepest bench I have ever seen on any team, Stanford can bring in any type of player at any time to advantage Stanford. Best Stanford Team I have ever seen (in person) and that is 7 years running. It will take a special team to stop Stanford this year in the NCAA Tournament.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

I took @azfan 's comment not as questioning whether Rueck was worth the cited salary, but, as someone who lived in Phoenix for several years, recalling ASU's reputation for underpaying its women's coaches (not just in WBB, I may add).

Despite CTT's prolonged run of decent success (two Elite 8s and multiple Sweet 16s over about a 15-year period), there's at least the perception that ASU WBB has ebbed in recent years and been overtaken by other Pac-12 programs such as OSU, UO and (most notably) UA. Even if her AD were less stingy, her leverage in salary negotiations is IMO not what it would have been just 4 or 5 years ago.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
With this big win the Cougars control their fate. I think if they split with Arizona and Stanford they get the invite to the dance over the Sun Devils.

Unfortunately for CCT's squad they'll need a deep run in the tournament (not likely) to have a chance for an invite. Their lack of rebounding in this game doomed their chances.
I think you're overestimating the gravity of this one loss. It's still just a Quad 1 loss, which doesn't really hurt a resume beyond the missed opportunity for a quality win.

Arizona State has wins over Oregon and Arizona, and no one else in the morass of bubble teams in the Pac-12 has a pair of wins as good as those. As of yesterday morning, Creme had ASU as a #10 seed, and not even among the last 4 byes (i.e., ahead of at least 8 other teams in the field). A road loss to a bubble team is not going to drop them that much if at all.

Also, you seem to imply an either-or scenario, that only one of WSU or ASU would get an at-large bid. It's entirely possible that both get in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom