PAC 12 WBB News | Page 28 | The Boneyard

PAC 12 WBB News

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think you're overestimating the gravity of this one loss. It's still just a Quad 1 loss, which doesn't really hurt a resume beyond the missed opportunity for a quality win.

Arizona State has wins over Oregon and Arizona, and no one else in the morass of bubble teams in the Pac-12 has a pair of wins as good as those. As of yesterday morning, Creme had ASU as a #10 seed, and not even among the last 4 byes (i.e., ahead of at least 8 other teams in the field). A road loss to a bubble team is not going to drop them that much if at all.

Also, you seem to imply an either-or scenario, that only one of WSU or ASU would get an at-large bid. It's entirely possible that both get in.
I really hope you are correct. While the rest of the regular season stretch looks favorable for the Sun Devils I'm a little worried about the UCLA game. I know CTT will rally the troops and it's my hope we finish out in the w column. That said recently we've been out of the tournament after the first game.

I am reassured however by your post and wish I'd read it before I went to bed last night as my worries about the current Sun Devil squad had me a bit anxious.

Creme's bracketology yesterday morning before any of these games had ASU in and WSU looking in. Given some of the wild possibilities down the stretch I think I'd be surprised if both ASU and WSU danced. That said weirder things have happened.

Also regarding CTT's salary I think you're definitely on point. Her leverage 5 years ago was at its peak and giving her ties to the West Coast and Stanford if she had wanted to play hardball perhaps it would have translated into a higher salary.

She's wanted to raise her family here in Tempe and has been a really good and loyal soldier for ASU. During a time of tremendous turmoil in the athletic department she has been the one constant.

They posted fall GPA by team and her squad had a 3.7. she has a balanced view about why athletes come to Tempe.

Reaction Score
Oregon reserve Shannon Dufficy will participate in senior day along with starter Nyra Sabally who graduates in March and will go to the draft. Sedona Prince will be back next year as she just announced today. I think Sabally has been very injury prone and does not want to risk another year in college.

Two things here. Sabally has been way too inconsistent this year along with Prince. Someone suggested to Prince on social media that she get a private basketball coach off season when she posted she was staying and it got quite a few likes. I don't think it was a put down at all and I thought it was a good idea to shore up some glaring deficiencies in her game if she is serious about improving.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I really hope you are correct. While the rest of the regular season stretch looks favorable for the Sun Devils I'm a little worried about the UCLA game. I know CTT will rally the troops and it's my hope we finish out in the w column. That said recently we've been out of the tournament after the first game.

I am reassured however by your post and wish I'd read it before I went to bed last night as my worries about the current Sun Devil squad had me a bit anxious.

Creme's bracketology yesterday morning before any of these games had ASU in and WSU looking in. Given some of the wild possibilities down the stretch I think I'd be surprised if both ASU and WSU danced. That said weirder things have happened.

Also regarding CTT's salary I think you're definitely on point. Her leverage 5 years ago was at its peak and giving her ties to the West Coast and Stanford if she had wanted to play hardball perhaps it would have translated into a higher salary.

She's wanted to raise her family here in Tempe and has been a really good and loyal soldier for ASU. During a time of tremendous turmoil in the athletic department she has been the one constant.

They posted fall GPA by team and her squad had a 3.7. she has a balanced view about why athletes come to Tempe.
I'm nervous about how many the PAC get in. I seriously don't think ASU has a lot of wiggle room, a good PAC tourney would help a lot. The thing is, its very easy to look at NET and I know it is very important, but as they constantly say, it isn't the only thing. And right now, ASU (and some other PAC teams in the conversation) just don't have good winning percentages. As a PAC homer, the more that make the tourney the merrier, but it is very shaky right now.

Regarding CTT salary - I had, for a long time, the impression that the PAC was not particularly well paying. That could have been a wrong impression, but the explosion of salaries has accompanied teams with (relatively) newer coaches making Final Four appearances, I think. Certainly Arizona was a cheap payer, and you could pick me up off the floor when I heard Adia was in the Top 10 (probably now more like top 15) of coaches salaries.

Reaction Score
I'm nervous about how many the PAC get in. I seriously don't think ASU has a lot of wiggle room, a good PAC tourney would help a lot. The thing is, its very easy to look at NET and I know it is very important, but as they constantly say, it isn't the only thing. And right now, ASU (and some other PAC teams in the conversation) just don't have good winning percentages. As a PAC homer, the more that make the tourney the merrier, but it is very shaky right now.

Regarding CTT salary - I had, for a long time, the impression that the PAC was not particularly well paying. That could have been a wrong impression, but the explosion of salaries has accompanied teams with (relatively) newer coaches making Final Four appearances, I think. Certainly Arizona was a cheap payer, and you could pick me up off the floor when I heard Adia was in the Top 10 (probably now more like top 15) of coaches salaries.
Agree completely. WSU will probably lose to both Arizona and Stanford impacting their winning percentage. I will not be surprised if ASU loses the season ender to UCLA and is one and done in the tournament. In those cases I think you could find a strong argument that neither team dances.

Reaction Score

Some of those bubble PAC-12 teams played early cup cake schedules which impacts the NET. Some fans and schools were content with that and once conference starts it slowly goes downhill from there. Maybe some coaches do that to help the final record to keep their jobs intact? I don't know.

Reaction Score
For a team that was projected to be a "tough out" by tourney time, Oregon has been pretty so-so recently. Aside from the UCLA game the shooting has been particularly abysmal.The loss to Oregon State on home court saw 4-21 from 3 point line. More recently in the 5 point home "win" versus Cal the Ducks went 0-16 from 3. These are not good numbers heading into the last three games.
Hoping for a turnaround but the chance to host in the NCAAT seems a long shot without a win or two v. Stanford, @Utah, or @Colorado.

Reaction Score
For a team that was projected to be a "tough out" by tourney time, Oregon has been pretty so-so recently. Aside from the UCLA game the shooting has been particularly abysmal.The loss to Oregon State on home court saw 4-21 from 3 point line. More recently in the 5 point home "win" versus Cal the Ducks went 0-16 from 3. These are not good numbers heading into the last three games.
Hoping for a turnaround but the chance to host in the NCAAT seems a long shot without a win or two v. Stanford, @Utah, or @Colorado.
I would be surprised (stunned) if the Ducks don't quack it up against Utah and Colorado. They should also pick up at least one win in Las Vegas.

Reaction Score
And the coach seems more interested in watching Gonzaga mens b-ball than fixing the problems. I know his kid plays there and all but he can't afford a private plane?

"Can’t rely on my earliest flight out of Spokane to get me home by 1 pm tip-off vs Stanford so I’m pulling the all-nighter drive. It’s only 7 hours"

Reaction Score
I want to watch this Stanford vs Oregon game but looking at that court makes me dizzy!

Reaction Score
Oregon got Stanford shook! That zone Oregon is running has Stanford confused.

Reaction Score
Arz loses but the bigger problem is Reese holding her arm and leaving the game uggh. Hope she's ok.

Reaction Score
I was switching between many games and did not see what happened with Cate Reese injury. Announcers talked season ending maybe. Anybody know?

Reaction Score
1645395844514.png

Reaction Score
Does Oregon State want Washington State to win against Zona. Could be down to these two teams making the tourney and odd team out.

Reaction Score
Does Oregon State want Washington State to win against Zona. Could be down to these two teams making the tourney and odd team out.
They can both make the tournament

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I think the PAC is the only Power 5 conference with teams that will not play 25 games. That would be Cal and Washington. Of course, neither is making any NCAA postseason appearances, probably why the PAC did not prioritize making up their games.

Fascinating. In fact, the PAC, Big East and Big 10 were the 3 conferences that didn't make up all games.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
For a not exactly basketball moment that says a lot about Kelly Graves, listen to the interview from about the 12th minute on.

WATCH: Kelly Graves proud of team's effort in narrow loss to No. 2 Stanford

Since I was at the game today, I'll say what Graves didn't: namely, that every time you think Pac 12 refs couldn't be any worse, they manage to prove otherwise, including a 1 point technical (against Oregon) before the game even started. (Nothing to do with the team or coaches but something about an LED not being on, I think.) I realize that I'm not exactly neutral, but if a home team can be "homered" then I think this game would qualify.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
For a not exactly basketball moment that says a lot about Kelly Graves, listen to the interview from about the 12th minute on.

WATCH: Kelly Graves proud of team's effort in narrow loss to No. 2 Stanford

Since I was at the game today, I'll say what Graves didn't: namely, that every time you think Pac 12 refs couldn't be any worse, they manage to prove otherwise, including a 1 point technical (against Oregon) before the game even started. (Nothing to do with the team or coaches but something about an LED not being on, I think.) I realize that I'm not exactly neutral, but if a home team can be "homered" then I think this game would qualify.
I think it was because the shot clock LED light for clock shot violation wasn't working.

Reaction Score
Did I hear correctly Cate Reese's injury not as bad as originally thought to be? I hope that is the case!

Reaction Score
Did I hear correctly Cate Reese's injury not as bad as originally thought to be? I hope that is the case!
Shoulder separation according to Barnes, back in place. shouldn't keep her out long

Reaction Score
Some of those bubble PAC-12 teams played early cup cake schedules which impacts the NET. Some fans and schools were content with that and once conference starts it slowly goes downhill from there. Maybe some coaches do that to help the final record to keep their jobs intact? I don't know.
Very true. Did Colorado play any team out of conference near the caliber of NC St or BYU like Wash St did? When the CouGals are bad though they are really bad. As clutch and timely as Krystal Leger-Walker can be she can also be stupid with ball. She has a high dribble and throws too many unforced turnovers away and lost possessions.
Wash St walks a fine line between eking out tough games or getting destroyed against a better team
Boston College on the bubble lost to VCU and Boston University this year. No one says a word about that. I’m pulling for BC but those are two losses that should keep you out of the tourney if bad losses carry that much weight

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom