PAC 12 WBB News | Page 30 | The Boneyard

PAC 12 WBB News

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
ASU just didn’t look right against WSU. They just don’t show up on the road 1-8. They belong in the WNIT
Anytime the Devil's give up 70 or more, they aren't right. This year and last have not been strong defensive teams.

Geno said something the other day and the post game presser regarding playing the entire bench. He talked about the pros and cons and one of the things he mentioned was that having a core group really helps offensively in terms of anticipation and comfort. He seemed to be implying that playing a deep bench can be disruptive to that.

CTT play the entire squad often with 10 players averaging more than 10 points a game. I'm wondering now if that might be one of the many reasons why the devils have never been particularly strong offensively.

This year the two transfers Jade Loville and Mael Gilles have really brought an energy to the offensive end. Dials will be the only member of the roster of the devil's lose. She hopes to play overseas and while undersized has a tremendous energy and ability to hit the boards.

Next year with Maggie Best Link and Meg Newman healthy the Devils will have a presence in the paint.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
LOL I have no idea where I got that from.

Only reinforces that OSU should be ahead of UT and CO in the bubble scrum.
I think some feel the bubble is within the Pac-12 but it is actually some of the others that are the issue. At this point Beaver fans should be rooting for Oregon to take down UT and CO while they also sweep one would think.

Reaction Score
I think some feel the bubble is within the Pac-12 but it is actually some of the others that are the issue. At this point Beaver fans should be rooting for Oregon to take down UT and CO while they also sweep one would think.
I have no idea what is the best outcome for OSU this weekend, other than OSU winning both games. I really think it is outside of the PAC-12 that matters more to PAC-12 bubble teams.

Reaction Score
Tough loss in Boulder for the Ducks. Double overtime. They got jobbed in the 2nd OT when Sabally tied the game with a layup and was fouled by Miller... but what's this...offensive foul on Sabally and no basket. Thanks, Missy.
I believe this loss will drop Oregon out of hosting he first round of the NCAAT. I don't see much hope in SLC if their shooting woes continue.

Reaction Score
Graves was thinking more about the Voodoo donuts in downtown Eugene than coaching the game tonight.

Reaction Score
Tough loss in Boulder for the Ducks. Double overtime. They got jobbed in the 2nd OT when Sabally tied the game with a layup and was fouled by Miller... but what's this...offensive foul on Sabally and no basket. Thanks, Missy.
I believe this loss will drop Oregon out of hosting he first round of the NCAAT. I don't see much hope in SLC if their shooting woes continue.
So what is the issue of inconsistencies this year. Was assistant Campbell more important to the Oregon program than we know? Is Graves burned out sitting quietly in his chair the whole first half. I remember when the guy use to coach during the games.

Is Paopao a turnover machine that goes to sleep for quarters at a time. Is there really a clutch leader week end and week out on this team? Is there just a chemistry problem that sometimes is just a mix of personalities that dont mesh as players? There are issues right now.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure what's going on with Oregon, but I must say Endiya Rogers is really impressive to me. She had some moves in transition today that were just filthy. If her shooting was a bit more consistent, she would really be on an All-American level. I think they are a team without an identity/style of play. I also think Paopao has underperformed a bit this season. Her shooting numbers are down from last year. I like Maddie Scherr but she also seems a bit out of position at the 3, when the two guards are playing screen and roll and dominating the ball. That being said, they are the type of team I wouldn't want to play in the tournament. If they are like a 7 seed, I could see them upsetting a top 2 seed in the second round.

undersized

Iowa/Indiana/Big Ten Fan
Reaction Score
So what is the issue of inconsistencies this year? ... Is there really a clutch leader week end and week out on this team? Is there just a chemistry problem that sometimes is just a mix of personalities that dont mesh as players? There are issues right now.
I feel like we've been asking the same questions about Oregon ever since Ionescu's class graduated... Lots of talent on paper but it's rarely come together. Maybe the past injuries have delayed the development of chemistry amongst the core players and their best is yet to come.

I'm not sure what's going on with Oregon, but I must say Endiya Rogers is really impressive to me. She had some moves in transition today that were just filthy. If her shooting was a bit more consistent, she would really be on an All-American level. I think they are a team without an identity/style of play. I also think Paopao has underperformed a bit this season. Her shooting numbers are down from last year. I like Maddie Scherr but she also seems a bit out of position at the 3, when the two guards are playing screen and roll and dominating the ball. That being said, they are the type of team I wouldn't want to play in the tournament. If they are like a 7 seed, I could see them upsetting a top 2 seed in the second round.
Would love to see them as a 5-seed playing BYU in Provo. That would be an incredible environment.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Maybe she overperforms when she plays against Stanford, but I've always been more impressed by Rogers than Pao Pao. She has real game and you're right - some of her cuts to the basket are things of beauty. And you're right that I think good shooting is what has held her back. But she can bail out an offense all by herself, which, from the box score, it appears to suggest she did tonight...

Reaction Score
To use a famous baseball expression, I think Mark Campbell was the straw that stirred the drink for Oregon WBB.

Reaction Score
So what is the issue of inconsistencies this year. Was assistant Campbell more important to the Oregon program than we know? Is Graves burned out sitting quietly in his chair the whole first half. I remember when the guy use to coach during the games.

Is Paopao a turnover machine that goes to sleep for quarters at a time. Is there really a clutch leader week end and week out on this team? Is there just a chemistry problem that sometimes is just a mix of personalities that dont mesh as players? There are issues right now.
Campbell has turned around Sac St in less than a full year. Winning record which is a miracle for that program. I’d go to games when I lived locally and that place they play in “the Nest” is tiny

Reaction Score
Washington State University is all alone in 2nd place among twelve teams. They were picked to finish 6th. Johanna Teder Pac 12 player of the week. Is Kamie Ethridge Pac 12 Coach of the year so far? Lynne Roberts and J R Payne deserve consideration as well

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Endiya Rogers should be 1st Team PAC-12. ER has had an impressive year, and was impressive before she transferred. ER is the best player on the Duck's roster. OSU needs an ER-type guard.

TheFarmFan

Reaction Score
Endiya Rogers should be 1st Team PAC-12. ER has had an impressive year, and was impressive before she transferred. ER is the best player on the Duck's roster. OSU needs an ER-type guard.
I'd take a healthy Sabally over a healthy Rogers as the best player on Oregon's roster, but I agree that Rogers has been Oregon's most reliable guard and warrants more recognition than she gets. I'm not sure if I'd go first team because I think there are so many other guards who are better shooters than she is, and her stats apart from ppg (14.7) aren't overwhelming: .429 FG, .318 3PT, 4.3 RB, 2.9 A, 2 TO, 1.1 S over 19 games. But I agree she definitely deserves to be in the conversation.

Reaction Score
We will know who is getting a BYE in the Pac12 tourney after tonight and Saturday.
Stanford wins two at home 16-0 Lock
AZ wins two at home 11-5 Lock

WSU splits on the road @ Stan, @ Cal 11-6
Oregon wins @ Utah 11-6

Oregon Loses @ Utah 10-7
WSU loses two road 10-7
(Oregon has head to head tie breaker)

Utah wins two at home 9-6
Utah splits at home 8-7
Colorado wins again at home 8-7
Oregon State wins two on the road 8-7

Another loss by any of this last group eliminates them from a 4th place finish and a BYE unless Utah 9-6 trumps WSU or Oregon10-7

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If Arizona somehow gets swept by the LA Schools, they are in danger of falling as far as the #5 Seed depending on results elsewhere -- namely Utah sweeping the Oregon schools. This clearly won't happen though.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
We will know who is getting a BYE in the Pac12 tourney after tonight and Saturday.
Stanford wins two at home 16-0 Lock
AZ wins two at home 11-5 Lock

WSU splits on the road @ Stan, @ Cal 11-6
Oregon wins @ Utah 11-6

Oregon Loses @ Utah 10-7
WSU loses two road 10-7
(Oregon has head to head tie breaker)

Utah wins two at home 9-6
Utah splits at home 8-7
Colorado wins again at home 8-7
Oregon State wins two on the road 8-7

Another loss by any of this last group eliminates them from a 4th place finish and a BYE unless Utah 9-6 trumps WSU or Oregon10-7
It really feels like a massive scrum after Stanford.

Arizona should beat USC and UCLA at home handily. I like them for 11-5, which all but guarantees them 2nd place.

Wouldn't a WSU split put them at 11-7?

Oregon's game at Utah could certainly go either way. In all likelihood, this will determine 3rd and 4th place between UO and WSU. But I suppose if Utah sweeps the Oregon schools, they finish 9-6 which would beat a 10-7 Oregon team on winning percentage?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't see how CU or OSU can possibly break into the top 4.

Reaction Score

Arizona should beat USC and UCLA at home handily. I like them for 11-5, which all but guarantees them 2nd place.

Wouldn't a WSU split put them at 11-7?

Oregon's game at Utah could certainly go either way. In all likelihood, this will determine 3rd and 4th place between UO and WSU. But I suppose if Utah sweeps the Oregon schools, they finish 9-6 which would beat a 10-7 Oregon team on winning percentage?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't see how CU or OSU can possibly break into the top 4.
The highest OSU can finish is 5th. Lowest OSU can finish is 9th

TheFarmFan

Reaction Score
Totally. Depending on how matchups and seedings break, I would not be surprised if 1/4th of the Sweet Sixteen was Pac-12 teams, or if only one team makes it at all...

Reaction Score
My expectations are WSU loses to Stan but beats Cal. AZ wins two against the LA schools.
Utah is pretty good and playing at home. Not surprised to see two wins v the Oregons
In this scenario it would be Stan, AZ, WSU, and Utah with the Byes. CU v OSU not a factor.

Reaction Score
ASU suits 8 against the Trojans, who start a HUGE freshman, Akunwafo.

Sun Devil Jayde Van Hefty ends her season (career?) with another knee injury.

Edit ..Curtain of Distraction.....batting 50 per cent

Last edited:

Plebe

Reaction Score
ASU suits 8 against the Trojans, who start a HUGE freshman, Akunwafo.

Sun Devil Jayde Van Hefty ends her season (career?) with another knee injury.

Edit ..Curtain of Distraction.....batting 50 per cent

So sorry to hear about Van Hyfte. She's really had some bad fortune.

Reaction Score

So sorry to hear about Van Hyfte. She's really had some bad fortune.

Tough career. Awesome to see her on the bench tonight with her foot in a boot. Jeff Munn said it was knee but it really looked like it might have been something to do with the lower foot.

And Devils lose on a buzzer beater 3:. 60 - 58. Listening to the post game show CTT was extremely negative which I suppose is understandable but I think she needs to get some energy and upbeat perspective for the program going forward. Seemed like less than 500 people in the arena tonight.

In other in-state news the Jacks are on the road taking on Big Sky leading Idaho State.

Last edited:

Plebe

Reaction Score
And Devils lose on a buzzer beater 3:. 60 - 58. Listening to the post game show CTT was extremely negative which I suppose is understandable but I think she needs to get some energy and upbeat perspective for the program going forward. Seemed like less than 500 people in the arena tonight.
Brutal loss for ASU. Losing at Washington and now to USC at home are probably nails in the coffin of its NCAAT hopes, barring a miracle run in the P12 tournament. Now they're in danger of not even being WNIT-eligible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom