PAC 12 WBB News | Page 21 | The Boneyard

PAC 12 WBB News

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
I hear you 100%. No conference has had it easy and there should be some empathy for the logistical hoops they have had to navigate.

What I'm curious about is how the PAC 12 office responds to the criticism. As they were directed at them will Coach Close get some type of admonishment for them, similar to Coach Barnes and what she said about refereeing?
Pretty sure the admonishment is because the PAC-12 has a policy around criticism of referees and that any feedback is supposed to be shared privately. (i.e., it was not that she flipped the bird). And having a policy to prevent coach criticism of refs in public makes a lot of sense because that is a one-way ratchet that can descend quickly.

I have no idea if they have a similar policy around criticism of health and safety policies, but I doubt it.

Reaction Score
Pretty sure the admonishment is because the PAC-12 has a policy around criticism of referees and that any feedback is supposed to be shared privately. (i.e., it was not that she flipped the bird). And having a policy to prevent coach criticism of refs in public makes a lot of sense because that is a one-way ratchet that can descend quickly.

I have no idea if they have a similar policy around criticism of health and safety policies, but I doubt it.
And that's why I'm curious if something would happen because of the tone of her frustration. I don't know if conferences have policies for situations where coaches are saying negative comments about the conference's head office.

Reaction Score
I hear you 100%. No conference has had it easy and there should be some empathy for the logistical hoops they have had to navigate.

What I'm curious about is how the PAC 12 office responds to the criticism. As they were directed at them will Coach Close get some type of admonishment for them, similar to Coach Barnes and what she said about refereeing?
My thoughts is it is different to criticize the referees verses criticizing the conference. What I am trying to figure out is what comments were made and why UCLA felt like it was treated differently than the other 11 other pac-12 teams. If it is some rule about injuries and playing other than COVID then Close needs to take that up with the NCAA and the rules commitee. Again I am not sure what she is getting at because I have seen nothing written about it.

Reaction Score
My thoughts is it is different to criticize the referees verses criticizing the conference. What I am trying to figure out is what comments were made and why UCLA felt like it was treated differently than the other 11 other pac-12 teams. If it is some rule about injuries and playing other than COVID then Close needs to take that up with the NCAA and the rules commitee. Again I am not sure what she is getting at because I have seen nothing written about it.
I just found the clip where I heard her make the comment and posted. Not sure if it's been written about in articles.

TheFarmFan

Reaction Score
Didn't seem that big of a deal to me, but... More than anything what I took away from Close is how gracious she was with the media at the end, lauding them for covering her team in a down season and mentioning how much it means to her players:

Close is not my favorite coach from the standpoint of actual coaching, but she's such a class act and likeable person.

Reaction Score
Didn't seem that big of a deal to me, but... More than anything what I took away from Close is how gracious she was with the media at the end, lauding them for covering her team in a down season and mentioning how much it means to her players:

Close is not my favorite coach from the standpoint of actual coaching, but she's such a class act and likeable person.

She's always been gracious. Again, I was just curious if she would get into any trouble for the comments she made about the PAC-12 office because of the forfeit.

As it's been pointed out, there doesn't seem to be a policy in place for comments like this towards the PAC-12 office. At the same time, it seems odd that there isn't one. I would have thought there would be something in place, similar to the professional leagues where coaches, players and owners may get fined/reprimanded for negative comments directed towards their respective leagues.

Reaction Score

Again what did the Pac-12 do differently against UCLA that it does for the other 11 Pac-12 schools? can anyone tell me?

Taken from both articles:

The Pac-12′s updated game cancellation policy, part of the league’s basketball administration adjustments for the 2021-22 season, allows for a game to be rescheduled or declared a no-contest if a team has fewer than the minimum roster available (at least seven scholarship players and one countable coach). This policy is reserved for the unavailability of players and coaches due to COVID-19.

The Pac-12 will no longer count COVID-related game cancellations in men’s and women’s basketball games as forfeits, while also establishing parameters to be used to determine a postponement, the conference announced Wednesday.

Postponed games will be rescheduled if possible, the league said, and if not the matchup will be deemed a “no contest” and not count toward either team’s conference record. Previously the team that had to cancel would be issued a forfeit and their opponent would get a conference win, as had been the case with Washington men’s basketball getting a forfeit for a COVID cancellation against UCLA earlier this month.

A. So the first question did they have Covid? Yes or No? If yes they can reschedule.

If it was for other reason other than COVID:

Due to injuries unrelated to active COVID-19 cases, Oregon's game against UCLA scheduled for Friday, Jan. 28, has been ruled a forfeit by UCLA and will be a win for Oregon in the conference standings in accordance with the Pac-12 handbook's administrative policies, the league announced Friday.

The updated game cancellation policy, announced as part of the Pac-12's basketball administration adjustments for the 2021-22 season, allows for a game to be rescheduled or declared a no-contest if a team has fewer than the minimum roster available for a scheduled contest (at least seven scholarship players and one countable coach). This policy is reserved for the unavailability of participants due to COVID-19.

No where does it say in the administrative policies of the Pac-12 that games can be rescheduled due to concussions, broken bones, knee injuries, food poisoning and the like. So if there was less than seven players available for reason other than COVID it is a forfeit.

So is Coach Close claiming they had Covid because that is the only arguement she has. Enlighten me on this.

Rules for thee not for me?

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
With all the games having been postponed and needing to be made up...how is Oregon vs. Arizona St. the only game added to the schedule this week? Is the conference just not even bothering to try at this point? Kinda frustrating.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
With all the games having been postponed and needing to be made up...how is Oregon vs. Arizona St. the only game added to the schedule this week? Is the conference just not even bothering to try at this point? Kinda frustrating.
Well Doug Bruno said they could not have made up the postponed UConn game until SC freed up the schedule. With schedules so tight, I think alot of games will not be made up

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Well Doug Bruno said they could not have made up the postponed UConn game until SC freed up the schedule. With schedules so tight, I think alot of games will not be made up
It's a foregone conclusion they aren't going to make up every missed game, but it would be nice to chip away at it. Some teams are gonna be close to not getting in the minimum number of games to qualify for NCAA Tourney I think.

Reaction Score

I think that Stanford couldn't really add a game this week with UCLA being on Thursday -- so Seattle wasn't an option. If the rumours about Oregon State ducking a make-up with Stanford are true, there's not really anyone else Stanford needs to make up a game with just yet.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
It's a foregone conclusion they aren't going to make up every missed game, but it would be nice to chip away at it. Some teams are gonna be close to not getting in the minimum number of games to qualify for NCAA Tourney I think.
Washington and Cal are not going to play 25 games without some make-up.

ASU, Oregon State and UCLA are scheduled for 24 (25 for ASU with this week's make-up) but of course will all play one in the conference tourney - so if no additional cancellations, they would qualify.

The issue is teams that lost non-conference games simply having a low total number of games scheduled at this point. UCLA and Washington will only play 26 games (+1) if they make up what they have missed.

That said - how likely are any of these teams to be making the NCAA tourney?

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score

ASU, Oregon State and UCLA are scheduled for 24 (25 for ASU with this week's make-up) but of course will all play one in the conference tourney - so if no additional cancellations, they would qualify.

The issue is teams that lost non-conference games simply having a low total number of games scheduled at this point. UCLA and Washington will only play 26 games (+1) if they make up what they have missed.

Obviously for Cal and Washington it's a non issue, ASU very unlikely, but for UCLA and Oregon St. I wouldn't want to be cutting it that close. There could certainly be more postponed/cancelled games between now and the end of the season. They might be on the wrong side of the bubble, but certainly have a chance to play their way in. Every game matters for them I think.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Another question is how do you determine conference standings? Should teams be penalized for making up most of there games but there record suffered because of it verses the team that seem more causal in who they select for make up. The conference and NCAA may look at that and drop them down in seedings. Some teams are more aggressive in getting make up in and others not so much. I will leave it at that.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
Another question is how do you determine conference standings? Should teams be penalized for making up most of there games but there record suffered because of it verses the team that seem more causal in who they select for make up. The conference and NCAA may look at that and drop them down in seedings. Some teams are more aggressive in getting make up in and others not so much. I will leave it at that.
In the postgame today Graves mentioned (hinted) that there would be a make-up game next week and another the week after (Colorado at home; and Washington State away, assuming I've got this straight). If so, and if there are no additional cancellations, that would mean that Oregon will have played a full Pac12 schedule (including the UCLA forfeit) by tournament time. Don't know how many other teams will have the same opportunity.

Reaction Score
I think that Stanford couldn't really add a game this week with UCLA being on Thursday -- so Seattle wasn't an option. If the rumours about Oregon State ducking a make-up with Stanford are true, there's not really anyone else Stanford needs to make up a game with just yet.
Do you have anything more to back up the statement the Oregon State declined a make up a game with Stanford. According to Pac-12 policy they are risking a forfeit.

The Conference office shall have the option to levy a forfeit in the event league standards of sportsmanship are not met in the process of attempting to reschedule a contest.

Which basically means if you are asked to schedule a make up it would be in your best interest to schedule it. They will likely ding teams that have not had due diligence in making up games.

Reaction Score
In the postgame today Graves mentioned (hinted) that there would be a make-up game next week and another the week after (Colorado at home; and Washington State away, assuming I've got this straight). If so, and if there are no additional cancellations, that would mean that Oregon will have played a full Pac12 schedule (including the UCLA forfeit) by tournament time. Don't know how many other teams will have the same opportunity.
All good on those who have completed the conference with two or less make up games left before Vegas but what about a team that finish let just throw this out there at .500 in the conference. Finishes 6th in the conference at 9-9 and another team at 6-6 also at .500 made up less games.

How do you account for that.

You know in the tourney selection the NCAA is going to have to look at the body of work for each more carefully this year. I think teams that may be eligible may get dinged, slapped down a seed or two or even miss out altogether. Although they met the minimum number of games to be elibible that team with the same win percetage and with a better set of games will get a better consideration. So these coaches walking around dodging (as some rumors have it) and selecting makeup games or not selecting games based on opponent strength might be in for a big surprise in March.

You would not want me on that selection committee.:(

Reaction Score
Without solid evidence/proof of Oregon State "ducking" Stanford, I am calling this B.S. Any idiot can start a rumor and it will spread easily in social media.

Reaction Score
Without solid evidence/proof of Oregon State "ducking" Stanford, I am calling this B.S. Any idiot can start a rumor and it will spread easily in social media.
I have not seen anything either. If Lorcan can expand upon it?

CompSci87

Stanford fan
Reaction Score
I have not seen anything either. If Lorcan can expand upon it?
I believe this talk comes from OSU not making up their two missed games against Stanford last season, combined with a remark by Tara (again, last season) to the effect that Stanford wanted to make up missed games but some opponents weren't interested. She did not mention any specific team, but internet message board folks jumped from those thin facts all the way to the conclusion that OSU was ducking Stanford.

TheFarmFan

Reaction Score
I believe this talk comes from OSU not making up their two missed games against Stanford last season, combined with a remark by Tara (again, last season) to the effect that Stanford wanted to make up missed games but some opponents weren't interested. She did not mention any specific team, but internet message board folks jumped from those thin facts all the way to the conclusion that OSU was ducking Stanford.
+1. That's what I was thinking of too. (I thought I had posted something to that effect earlier and I think maybe it got deleted, as now I can't find it?)

Reaction Score
It was one missed game, not two, and Oregon State was specifically mentioned in the video below (around the 5:20 mark), which makes sense given they were the lone team.

Looking at their 20-21 schedule, it does not look like Oregon State rescheduled any games last season.

Reaction Score
The article below mentions how many league games have been postponed for each team.

Cal has had 7 games postponed.
Oregon State 4 games.
Stanford 3 games.

Looks like the Pac-12 prefers make up games to happen on Wednesdays, and prefers teams don't play more than 5 games every two weeks.

Since Stanford is playing UCLA tonight, they couldn't do a make up game yesterday.

Hopefully Oregon State- Stanford could play on 2/16, but I would think the PAC-12 would prioritize making up the Oregon State-Cal game on that day.

Will be interesting to see if Stanford-Cal can reschedule on 2/9.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom