PAC 12 WBB News | The Boneyard

PAC 12 WBB News

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
With the wbb season about to start, a thread for PAC 12 conference/team news and discussion

Reaction Score
(Transfer from another GWB thread):
For the BY Oregon Fans:
The Ducks wbb team is playing an exhibition game today Thursday Oct. 28 at 6pm (pacific) against "Saint Martin's" (never heard of them).
The thrashing game will be live-streamed on the PAC12 website and app..

Kelly said everyone will play so this is our first chance to have a look at all the new transferred-in players (you may recall Kelly's late "come to Jesus" conversion to recruiting transfers this past spring that was discussed (ridiculed? :) ) at great length on the BY GWB forum).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Interesting, the GNAC has the only Canadian college in the NCAA--Simon Fraser University located in B.C.

Members
The GNAC’s 10 full-time members are located in one of the most picturesque areas of North America, covering five U.S. states and one Canadian province.

Representing the Evergreen State in the conference are Central Washington University, Saint Martin’s University, Seattle Pacific University and Western Washington University. All four schools are within 110 miles of Seattle, the state’s largest city.

Alaska is the home to GNAC members University of Alaska Anchorage and the University of Alaska Fairbanks. The only Canadian member in the NCAA is Simon Fraser University, which is located in Burnaby, B.C., a suburb of Canada's third-largest city, Vancouver.

Other conference members include Western Oregon University, which is a short drive from both the capital of Oregon (Salem) and the state’s largest city (Portland); Northwest Nazarene University in Nampa, which is located near Idaho’s largest city and capital (Boise), and Montana State University Billings, which is situated in the largest city in the Treasure State.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
and Montana State University Billings, which is situated in the largest city in the Treasure State.
I guess I always assumed Missoula was the largest city. I learned something new today, thanks! I've done several road trips to MT, but have never quite made it to Billings. Really close several times but I always turn south just before then, heading to Red Lodge.

I've got a soft spot for the GNAC. I went to CWU. Have friends that went to WWU and have been to the campus several times. My brother and a ton of other people I know are SPU grads, I've gone to a few bball games there over the years. My bro did 20 years in the Air Force, he was stationed in Fairbanks early in his career and when I went up to visit him we went to a concert at Alaska-Fairbanks.

Reaction Score
Interesting to note that this will be the first time ANY of the current Ducks have played before an actual home crowd at MKA. Expect a good turn of fans out just for the novelty and long cheering drought.

Reaction Score
I guess I always assumed Missoula was the largest city. I learned something new today, thanks! I've done several road trips to MT, but have never quite made it to Billings. Really close several times but I always turn south just before then, heading to Red Lodge.

I've got a soft spot for the GNAC. I went to CWU. Have friends that went to WWU and have been to the campus several times. My brother and a ton of other people I know are SPU grads, I've gone to a few bball games there over the years. My bro did 20 years in the Air Force, he was stationed in Fairbanks early in his career and when I went up to visit him we went to a concert at Alaska-Fairbanks.
I know from your many posts that you have a sentimental attachment to the northwest and I hope you'll forgive my joking reference to St. Martin's--I'm sure it's fine school with many outstanding graduates. Why in the world would they sign up to be road kill for Oregon??--I assume a big pay day. The game is not being televised as far as I know (just the PAC12 stream).
I was actually on the University of Fairbanks campus years ago after a camping excursion in Denali--surprisingly nice, Alaska politicians are masters at extracting money from Washington.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I think being roadkill in exhibition games for these lower division schools doesn't really hurt anything, and it allows them to play against a level of size and/or athleticism they are unlikely to see during their regular season.

I don't know if they still do it, but Seattle Pacific men used to have an exhibition against U. of Washington every year, and they actually beat them a few times. Also beat U. of Arizona one year.

Reaction Score
St. Martin’s is a Benedictine university - our youngest daughter did a college visit there and was generally impressed. She found it a beautiful campus and even had a “Monk of the Month” program. Oregon’s exhibition games are always against lower division teams in the region; regular non-conference schedule is one of the most difficult in the nation and includes UCONN, South Carolina, etc this year.

Reaction Score
rogers starting with paopao, scheer, prince, sabally--pac 12 stream quality pretty good
24-0 end of first quarter, Kelly has played everyone

Last edited:
Reaction Score
47-7 UO over Saint Martin's at half. UO defense in Q2 was highly suspect. :p

undersized

Iowa/Indiana/Big Ten Fan
Reaction Score
1635472501446.png
Anyone know what's up with the 3 point line on Oregon's floor? Even though the line has been moved back for WBB, the old lighter colored one still seems to be there, but only part of it?? Screenshot is from the ongoing exhibition game.

p.s. Does anyone actually like the design of this floor? It gives me a major headache.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
Question for those who watched the game:

To me, Te-hina PaoPao seemed to be considerably quicker/faster than she appeared to be last year. Just me? Or being more comfortable on the floor? Or maybe playing the 2 for much of the first half? Or? (Apparently, she had never been anything but a 1 until the U19 USA games.) In any case, I think Graves has found his next very good/great guard.

Reaction Score
Hard to do accurate takes from Oregon last night due to quality of opponent but here goes:
Paopao is comfortable at 2 and having those 3 PGs on the floor at once is a speed/penetration/scoring/perimeter defense upgrade overall
Newcomer Pinto brings a lot of energy to the floor.
The bigs are not as dominant offensively as they could be
Defense will be a hallmark

Reaction Score
Question for those who watched the game:

To me, Te-hina PaoPao seemed to be considerably quicker/faster than she appeared to be last year. Just me? Or being more comfortable on the floor? Or maybe playing the 2 for much of the first half? Or? (Apparently, she had never been anything but a 1 until the U19 USA games.) In any case, I think Graves has found his next very good/great guard.
Didn't see the game but I'm wondering if it could be also because she's recovered from her injury from last season. That along with a full off-season session of training with the team and USA Basketball could explain things.

Reaction Score
In other exhibition games:
-CAL was actually trailing NAIA Westmont by 8 in the 3rd before pulling away to win by about 20
-AZ had as easy a time as Oregon vs Eastern New Mexico

Reaction Score
For those who were unable to watch the "game?" here is a micro highlight video.
cancontent your compatriot Kyei makes a two second appearance at :58
I sure hope St. Martin's gets well paid (as is often the practice in NCAA football) for serving as a sacrificial offering to the Ducks fans.

Reaction Score
UO is loaded, especially at the guard/wing position. Te-hina PaoPao is legit, and I believe will excel with Rogers on the floor. Rogers is a fantastic addition to the Duck roster. Ducks will be in every game, whether it is a PAC-12 team, or S. Carolina & UCONN. I think Graves will settle on his rotation much earlier this season than what I saw last season.

Reaction Score
Arizona coach Adia Barnes and Kate Reese before yesterday's exhibition game against Eastern New Mexico.

Reaction Score
View attachment 70574 Anyone know what's up with the 3 point line on Oregon's floor? Even though the line has been moved back for WBB, the old lighter colored one still seems to be there, but only part of it?? Screenshot is from the ongoing exhibition game.

p.s. Does anyone actually like the design of this floor? It gives me a major headache.
In all fairness, the lines on the floor were originally invisible on TV (players and officials could make them out), so it's an improvement. But, if you aren't a Duck, living in a Duck world, you probably hate it.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
For Cameron Brink fans:

Well dang, I've been to Cannon Beach many times, I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for Cameron Brink sightings from now on. That big monolithic rock that keeps showing up in the background is Haystack Rock.

The Stoudamire clan is fairly legendary in the Portland area. Antoine is looking kinda old. Time is flying by.

Reaction Score
From the East Coast it's hard to quite follow what has happened with Oregon.

how much of that #1 class remains? Are they a sneaky pick to seriously improve?

Reaction Score
From the East Coast it's hard to quite follow what has happened with Oregon.

how much of that #1 class remains? Are they a sneaky pick to seriously improve?
I know Dugalic transferred to UCLA, but I believe the other four remain. Pao Pao and Scherr are still here; I believe Parrish and Watson are as well.

Oregon to me feels like a sleeper pick for the Final Four. They have everything you need on paper: a dynamic post duo, solid lead guard play, and an array of shooters. That said, this feels like the most talented year we’ve seen in NCAA WBB and there are at least six or seven teams that could make that same claim.

I’m not personally penciling the Ducks in for the final weekend but I do believe they’ll be a top-ten team all year long and may well win the PAC again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom