P5 Invite Poll | The Boneyard

P5 Invite Poll

When Will UConn Receive a P5 Invite This Year?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction Score
Let's find out how likely this Board thinks an invite is. I voted Not This Year mostly because we UConn fans have been overly optimistic in the past and I am trying to manage my expectations.

Urcea

Rent Enjoyer
Reaction Score
I want it to come this month, and am extremely prepared to be wrong. There is a ton of smoke and momentum, but who the hell knows

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
No Way Do Not Want GIF

UC1995

Back to Basics!
Reaction Score
I love the a Big East but if they add Az schools and Colorado I can forget about DePaul, Butler, and Creighton pretty readily.

What I have come to reaize that New England residents have been conditioned to resist change. I see how many cant look past what the Big East represents… a tie to our past.

The reality is that past is over. We are living in a false reality of security amplified by the championship. Reality is we need to make a move. B1G is not coming and the ACC is going to implode at sometime and what’s left will be unattractive from a market value.

Former teams aren’t coming back to the Big East. The conference won’t go back to hybrid conferences because everyone know la that everyone is trying to better themselves economically.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
This stuff almost always seems to happen in the last two months before the end of the NCAA operational calendar year (July 1- June 30) meaning if we find out something this year its most likely going to be before July 1.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I agree with Drew. If the offer happens it will most likely will be during the last week in June.

I still believe it won't but hope to be wrong.

Reaction Score
Well, if all this is about just basketball, it ain't gonna happen. And there are more than one outlet reporting that it is. What is puzzling is if that is indeed the case, why on earth have there been multiple meetings.

Reaction Score
I said July only b/c the Pac12 TV deal is taking so long. I think things are happening, but rule 1 is still always a threat.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
I said July only b/c the Pac12 TV deal is taking so long. I think things are happening, but rule 1 is still always a threat.
June 30 is a firm date for the end if the academic & athletic year fir the NCAA. All conferences view something occurring July 1 as being a year later than June 30 including notification for leaving a conference.

This part is just a guess on my part but because if everything is not worked out by the end of June it won't make much difference if they are worked out in July, October or December. If this is the case, they may start from close to the beginning again and drag it out throughout the fall.

One additional concern is that pushing things forward a year could allow conferences to increase departure fees. I'm not sure how this would impact us as there was a long term schedule of what the fees would be upon different departure dates when we rejoined but the other school(s) they would add may need to execute the departure this month.

Urcea

Rent Enjoyer
Reaction Score
June 30 is a firm date for the end if the academic & athletic year fir the NCAA. All conferences view something occurring July 1 as being a year later than June 30 including notification for leaving a conference.

This part is just a guess on my part but because if everything is not worked out by the end of June it won't make much difference if they are worked out in July, October or December. If this is the case, they may start from close to the beginning again and drag it out throughout the fall.

One additional concern is that pushing things forward a year could allow conferences to increase departure fees. I'm not sure how this would impact us as there was a long term schedule of what the fees would be upon different departure dates when we rejoined but the other school(s) they would add may need to execute the departure this month.
On the departure fee issue and generally, the PAC needs to get this done to usher SDSU/Fresno/whomever into the Conference lest they be hit with a giant exit fee come Jul 1. I don't know how much that factors in, but presumably it does factor given that you want some good will with somebody you're trying to poach

Last edited:

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
On the departure fee issue and generally, the PAC needs to get this done to usher SDSU/Fresno/whomever into the Conference lest they be hit with a giant exit fee come Jul 1. I don't know how much that factors in, but presumably it does factor given that you want some good will to somebody you're trying to poach
I recently read an article where SDSU is very concerned about this exact issue. Evidently the departure fee they face increases substantially post June 30 as does the term they would need to remain. Evidently the MW foresaw a lot of this and planned for it. Obviously a school would negotiate the length of the departure time but that added point would like on a few additional dollars to an already larger fee.

Reaction Score
The latest news is trending strongly towards no offer or a hilarious basketball only offer. I don’t even understand what calculus who get us to consider that offer since it would likely cost us more than it’s worth.

Six Big 12 football games a season as part of the package? That’s just pure speculation.

Do we even want that?

If they offered us a basketball only and we declined would both parties even want that to be public? If we say no, it makes them look bad. Why would they make an offer that they know we will decline?

The offer isn’t happening.

It’s like I can already see the tweet linking an article by Dom Amore entitled “Just How Close Did UConn Come to Big 12 Membership”.

Reaction Score
Any P5 offer that is full membership and full compensation, UConn takes it. UConn accepts the first offer it receives.

Excluding football doesn’t work.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
The latest news is trending strongly towards no offer or a hilarious basketball only offer. I don’t even understand what calculus who get us to consider that offer since it would likely cost us more than it’s worth.

Six Big 12 football games a season as part of the package? That’s just pure speculation.

Do we even want that?

If they offered us a basketball only and we declined would both parties even want that to be public? If we say no, it makes them look bad. Why would they make an offer that they know we will decline?

The offer isn’t happening.

It’s like I can already see the tweet linking an article by Dom Amore entitled “Just How Close Did UConn Come to Big 12 Membership”.
I'm holding out some hope that this is part of a negotiation. Some deferred buy-in to a full share, while getting the TV networks to pay a full portion. Would allow schools that need cover to show they 'got something'. But I have no source for that, pure hopium.

Reaction Score
I'm holding out some hope that this is part of a negotiation. Some deferred buy-in to a full share, while getting the TV networks to pay a full portion. Would allow schools that need cover to show they 'got something'. But I have no source for that, pure hopium.

Hopium is the perfect characterization.

People saying “I just don’t see how these schools can be so opposed to us” are without a clue.

Urcea

Rent Enjoyer
Reaction Score

I have such battered spouse syndrome at this point that I would take that deal if there were bowl eligibility baked in somehow and maybe an on-ramp to full membership based on attendance

Reaction Score
I have such battered spouse syndrome at this point that I would take that deal if there were bowl eligibility baked in somehow and maybe an on-ramp to full membership based on attendance

That would be an objectively horrible deal.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Let's find out how likely this Board thinks an invite is. I voted Not This Year mostly because we UConn fans have been overly optimistic in the past and I am trying to manage my expectations.
... and just like that are potential big 12 invite burst into flames. Thanks Tuthill! :mad:

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
Any P5 offer that is full membership and full compensation, UConn takes it. UConn accepts the first offer it receives.

Excluding football doesn’t work.
Zissou, quick hypothetical for you:

If A) the B-12 expands to 16 all sports members, adding Colorado, two of the other three four corner P-12 members and UConn, making four well situated four member pods (four corners, Texas, Great Plains and East) and Yormark convinces the conference to add non-football members to bolster the basketball profile invites four schools (to create five member pods); Gonzaga, Creighton, Marquette and Villanova.

Would you be in favor of Villanova joining?

Reaction Score
Zissou, quick hypothetical for you:

If A) the B-12 expands to 16 all sports members, adding Colorado, two of the other three four corner P-12 members and UConn, making four well situated four member pods (four corners, Texas, Great Plains and East) and Yormark convinces the conference to add non-football members to bolster the basketball profile invites four schools (to create five member pods); Gonzaga, Creighton, Marquette and Villanova.

Would you be in favor of Villanova joining?
No. Hell no.

The travel would be a nightmare for all sports (track, swimming, cross country, etc etc).

Basketball money would be similar to Big East.

We’d give up our ties to the BET at MSG and our strong connection to DC-Philly-NYC.

Regional rivals Georgetown, St John’s (and SH and Prov)

It would be the same proposition as UConn being invited as a non-football member. No way.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom