P5 Invite Poll | Page 2 | The Boneyard

P5 Invite Poll

When Will UConn Receive a P5 Invite This Year?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
No. Hell no.

The travel would be a nightmare for all sports (track, swimming, cross country, etc etc).

Basketball money would be similar to Big East.

We’d give up our ties to the BET at MSG and our strong connection to DC-Philly-NYC.

Regional rivals Georgetown, St John’s (and SH and Prov)

It would be the same proposition as UConn being invited as a non-football member. No way.
So, if Nova said no and either St John's or Georgetown was next on the list (assuming they wouldn't duplicate Cincinnati), them what?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
You are quite welcome. Btw, how is it my fault? ;)
1686065774685.png

The poll at the start of this thread assumes that we will get an offer. Bad mojo.

Reaction Score
No. Hell no.

The travel would be a nightmare for all sports (track, swimming, cross country, etc etc).

Basketball money would be similar to Big East.

We’d give up our ties to the BET at MSG and our strong connection to DC-Philly-NYC.

Regional rivals Georgetown, St John’s (and SH and Prov)

It would be the same proposition as UConn being invited as a non-football member. No way.
Fair enough.

Reaction Score
So, if Nova said no and either St John's or Georgetown was next on the list (assuming they wouldn't duplicate Cincinnati), them what?
Good point. But why would they go? Their rationale to stay would be similar to Nova's.

Reaction Score
Well, personally, I think UConn ought to wait until next year when they will have a couple more BB championships and a recent 9-4 football record in their pocket. Then they can get an invite from the B1G. ;)

Reaction Score
Well, personally, I think UConn ought to wait until next year when they will have a couple more BB championships and a recent 9-4 football record in their pocket. Then they can get an invite from the B1G. ;)
Unless UConn gets an AAU membership, which is unlikely for several years until federal research output dramatically increases, I doubt UConn will be under consideration by the Big 10. There are so many other candidates with more impressive credentials. UConn needs to be in a conference where it can improve its football ranking to about the top 25 and get sufficient funding for its athletic department until the AAU membership comes. I say the best option is the B12. In second place is the ACC -- we may not even being considered there -- and then in third place is maybe keeping most sports in the New Big East and maybe put football in the PAC-12, if they will take us. Football independence can be a hard place to reach high national ranking especially given we are in New England. Even if we win both men's and women's championships in basketball next season, don't count on the Big 10 taking us anytime soon!

Reaction Score
CBS Sports has an article that dropped an hour ago quoting a B12 AD saying that there is no movement toward non-P5 schools to get them over the line. It also quoted the consulting firm Navigate which is working for Gonzaga:

"Navigate evaluated how the nation's top basketball programs ranked against power-conference opponents in regular-season play over the last three years with a metrical called "TV Power."

Gonzaga is a surprising fifth on that list. It sits behind Duke, Kentucky, North Carolina and Kansas but ahead of Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, Arkansas and Tennessee, which rounded out the top 10."

So there it is, folks, a "respected" Chicago consulting firm saying that UConn is not even in the top ten MBB programs in the nation. Also the tone of the piece is that UConn's championship came after a long drought. (Nine years.)

Reaction Score
CBS Sports has an article that dropped an hour ago quoting a B12 AD saying that there is no movement toward non-P5 schools to get them over the line. It also quoted the consulting firm Navigate which is working for Gonzaga:

"Navigate evaluated how the nation's top basketball programs ranked against power-conference opponents in regular-season play over the last three years with a metrical called "TV Power."

Gonzaga is a surprising fifth on that list. It sits behind Duke, Kentucky, North Carolina and Kansas but ahead of Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, Arkansas and Tennessee, which rounded out the top 10."

So there it is, folks, a "respected" Chicago consulting firm saying that UConn is not even in the top ten MBB programs in the nation. Also the tone of the piece is that UConn's championship came after a long drought. (Nine years.)
Regardless of the sourcing in that particular article I think it’s fair to say the hype and optimism of an invite from a week ago is fading fast.

Reaction Score

That story was skewed towards Gonzaga because Gonzaga is using Navigate for consulting purposes and the story used Navigate as a source.

Reaction Score
Regardless of the sourcing in that particular article I think it’s fair to say the hype and optimism of an invite from a week ago is fading fast.
That is the mood of the Boneyard, but we just have to wait and see how it plays out.

Reaction Score
On the CBS story, ESPN has more viewers than FS1, that started up with the Big East contract. The TV power ranking likely does not take into account base viewership of the platform.

Reaction Score
I don’t think any Big East school would calculate a benefit to going Big 12. Maybe Creighton for the footprint change and playing Kansas.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I don’t think any Big East school would calculate a benefit to going Big 12. Maybe Creighton for the footprint change and playing Kansas.
They have no interest in any basketball only schools, but you're right. That's the only one that would likely come out ahead. Iowa State is close too, and K State is even closer.

Reaction Score
When did the Rent drop down to 38,000 from 40,600? And this was a Baylor guy trashing our stadium after RG3 said it was the loudest place he had ever played?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don’t really see how our situation has changed at all? Colorado is moving on Friday, not us.
Tramel's story dropped and it was pretty negative. Quoting an AD saying that there was not enough support to push us over the finish line. Then Tramel changed his tweet that leads into the story to a little more positive. Later that day, Dodd's story and later a tweet by Dodd dropped, and then Brett Murphy's tweet, all talking about how UConn is being considered for all sports. The Baylor AD came right out and disputed Tramel's story. What do you know, we're still being talked about and there still is a chance. We were always behind the Pac 12 schools.

Reaction Score
Tramel's story dropped and it was pretty negative. Quoting an AD saying that there was not enough support to push us over the finish line. Then Tramel changed his tweet that leads into the story to a little more positive. Later that day, Dodd's story and later a tweet by Dodd dropped, and then Brett Murphy's tweet, all talking about how UConn is being considered for all sports. The Baylor AD came right out and disputed Tramel's story. What do you know, we're still being talked about and there still is a chance. We were always behind the Pac 12 schools.
Good summary.

Reaction Score
When did the Rent drop down to 38,000 from 40,600? And this was a Baylor guy trashing our stadium after RG3 said it was the loudest place he had ever played?
Seating Configurations & Capabilities

• Football: 38,066
  • West End Stage: 34,000
Stadium Club

• 635 seats
  • 325 seat function room with upholstered seats
  • 38 Executive Suites with upholstered seats

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Seating Configurations & Capabilities

• Football: 38,066
  • West End Stage: 34,000
Stadium Club

• 635 seats
  • 325 seat function room with upholstered seats
  • 38 Executive Suites with upholstered seats
Did I read somewhere that we get to 40,000 for a sellout because of “standing room” and anyone that’s working in the building at the time? Is that true or imagined lol

Reaction Score
Fair. Good summary lol. I just hope CU isn’t immediately followed by Arizona.

Urcea

Rent Enjoyer
Reaction Score
I missed this - can you send link?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom