Overseas 2021-22 Thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Overseas 2021-22 Thread

Reaction Score
Thanks for the reminder, ochoopsfan.

Is Griner hurt, or just not in town for the game?

The Spanish reporter that he was relaying the news from said that Torrens and Vadeeva stayed behind in Russia and that Griner was a possible positive upon arrival in Salamanca.

Gah. I can't imagine what this game would be at right now with Griner and Vadeeva available. I taught last period today and was hoping to come back to a competitive second half.

I may eat these words later, but I just don't see how a team is going to be able to compete with Ekat without them having a down night and the other team playing the game of their lives.

Unrelated, I wish these teams sold apparel. I'd love to add both an Avenida and Ekat shirt to my rotation.

It looks like they ship to the United States:

Not sure if @ochoopsfan has beat you to the punch on customized Samuelson gear though.

Fenerbahce has only looked their best a few times this season, but if there is one player who can get randomly unstoppable in one game, it is definitely Alina Iagupova.

Yes they are the same teams.
There may be limits for some of the domestic teams as to how many foreign players can play in a game. I have seen a healthy Griner and another Euro sit in the stands for a game.
Avenida has 7 non Spanish players on the team and 5 from Spain. They all can dress for any game, domestic or Euroleague.
The current rule for EuroLeague and EuroCup is two players without a passport from a member country of FIBA Europe and one player who received a passport from a member country, but after turning 16. Players who acquired passports at 16 or later before those rules were put into place qualify as if they received that passport before the age of 16. Compared to previous rules, naturalizing is now less of a benefit going forward and players can now play for non-European national teams and not count, which is good news for African national teams that can now recruit European-born players without it impacting their club earning potnential.

Each domestic league has there own rules, but I am not aware of any that have no limits whatsoever on foreign players. Some leagues limit foreigners of any nationality, some leagues allow unlimited players of certain nationalities, and some leagues have different limits for different kinds of players (usually minimums for local nationality or youth players or maximum of non-Europeans with some countries in Europe granting players with passports from countries that are signatories to the Cotonou agreement, mostly African, Caribbean, and Pacific Island nations the equivalent of European status). For example, Batoula Camara was able to benefit from having Guinean citizenship when she signed in Spain.

I am not familiar with the current rules for domestic league rosters in all countries, but here are a few that I know off the top of my head:
Russia: Four foreigners, meaning anyone who is not a citizen of Russia or Belarus, can suit up for each game and if you have more than four you can rotate them in and out as much as you want. The Belarus exception, and their owner's massive paranoia about upset losses, is why Ekaterinburg signed Alex Bentley and Maryia Papova.
Turkey: Two players with no citizenship from FIBA Europe countries, two players with FIBA Europe, but not Turkish citizenship, one player with Turkish citizenship acquired at 16 or later, like Kiah Stokes. Teams with more than that can rotate between them for each game.
Israel: Three foreign players. Players who qualify for Israeli citizenship do not count as foreigners, which is why a number of Jewish-Americans have gotten citizenship and had long professional careers there. I believe you can qualify for that before citizenship in some cases as I think Courtney Boylan did not count as foreign as soon as she married Stu Douglass. The rule used to be four foreigners with only three being allowed on the court at the same time, but the non-foreign players went on strike one season until the league changed the rule.

Leagues outside of Europe also generally have their own restrictions, but in the last two seasons, China and South Korea have joined Japan in not allowing any players that meet their definition of foreign. Australia allows two non-Oceania players, with players who have permanent residency in Australia also not counting as imports. A number of American players play in leagues below the WNBL in Australia and a number of them have opted to relocate there permanently and then managed to sign WNBL contracts once they had local status.

Reaction Score
In France, the top 3 of the LFB qualify for EuroLeague if they want to play it. Usually the top 2 qualify for regular season, the third has to play a qualifier against another countries representative - Clubs ranked 4th to 8th qualify for EuroCup.

It has happened a club (Charleville Mézières) decided to play EuroCup rather than EuroLeague where they have nearly 0 chance to win against teams from Russia or Turkey.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Thank you Awhom111 and From France, for the clarification of the rules.

I get most of my "stuff" from KLS directly, or her mom.

I wasnt aware that teams 5-6 in each Euroleague group(A & B) move to the quarter finals of Euro Cup playoffs.

Reaction Score
In France, the top 3 of the LFB qualify for EuroLeague if they want to play it. Usually the top 2 qualify for regular season, the third has to play a qualifier against another countries representative - Clubs ranked 4th to 8th qualify for EuroCup.

It has happened a club (Charleville Mézières) decided to play EuroCup rather than EuroLeague where they have nearly 0 chance to win against teams from Russia or Turkey.

That's not quite true for France and Spain. Both countries award EuroLeague spot 1 to their champion, but give EuroLeague spot 2 to their cup winner. This season, both had EuroLeague spot 3s, but those teams had to go through the qualifiers so Spanish runners up Valencia failed to qualify and Bourges, which had taken the top spot in the regular season in France by three games in a twenty-two game season, also missed out with Italian runners up Schio navigating that set of three tough games. A lot of fans in those countries no longer want those places awarded for cup wins, which is not how the other countries who have gotten three spots have handled it since Russia's cup competition only allows teams to play their Russian players and Turkey did not even bother with a cup last season.

Thank you Awhom111 and From France, for the clarification of the rules.

I get most of my "stuff" from KLS directly, or her mom.

I wasnt aware that teams 5-6 in each Euroleague group(A & B) move to the quarter finals of Euro Cup playoffs.
Yes, that leads to weird naming conventions for the EuroCup. Right now we are in the middle of the Round of 8, but that is followed by the quarterfinals once four EuroLeague teams are added.

Reaction Score
In France, it is just since last year the cup winner is awarded a place in EuroLeague-
And it was announced only 2 weeks before the final.
I didn't know about this change, thanks

Reaction Score
2021 Euro League Country Rankings.png
2021 Euro League Clubs Rankings.jpg

Reaction Score
So how is KML doing?
Having another season shooting around 44% from beyond the arc. She is averaging 13.4ppg in domestic league play and averaged 12.7ppg in EuroCup before they were eliminated. The team looks to be in good position to make the playoffs, but probably does not have the depth to upset one of the top four teams.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Does anyone know when KLS is returning to Spain to play for Perfumerias Avenida?

Avenida has won during February without her, including easy win today, but they start the Euroleague Quarter Finals on March 9. Fasoula is injured so they are already shorthanded in the frontcourt.

I know she got engaged, presumably that plays into it. Hopefully no injury issues for her.

Reaction Score
Azura Stevens is still playing with Nika Syktyvkar in Russia. Obviously situations can change pretty quickly with no warning, but there have not been any plans to alter the league competition there in any way.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Does anyone know when KLS is returning to Spain to play for Perfumerias Avenida?

Avenida has won during February without her, including easy win today, but they start the Euroleague Quarter Finals on March 9. Fasoula is injured so they are already shorthanded in the frontcourt.

I know she got engaged, presumably that plays into it. Hopefully no injury issues for her.
From a tweet I saw. The person tweeting it is a writer in Spain that covers WBB, and other sports. Carlos Mendez is an official with the Avenida team. I know of no date set on her possible return.

Carlos Mendez on Katie Lou Samuelson: "The club has discrepancies with its professional agency about the reasons why it does not join." “She considers that she has to do a physiotherapy recovery treatment in the US.”

The above was taken from an audio link on the tweet, but the audio link is in Spanish.

If you scroll down the twitter link the writer mentions KLS injury.

Reaction Score
For reference, here are players not born Russian who either played their team's last game or recently and are either still in Russia or were still there not long ago:
Dynamo Kursk: Natasha Howard, Eva Lisec, Arike Ogunbowale, Epiphanny Prince
Dynamo Moscow: Khaalia Hillsman, Tiana Mangakahia
Dynamo Novosibirsk: Kayla Alexander, Chloe Wells
Ekaterinburg: Alex Bentley, Jonquel Jones, Emma Messeman, Maryia Papova, Allie Quigley, Alba Torrens, Courtney Vandersloot:
Enisey Krasnoyarsk: Julie Vanloo, Laura Zelnyte
Nadezhda Orenburg: Adaora Elonu, Markeisha Gatling, Natisha Hiedeman, Kyara Linskens
Nika Syktyvkar: Hind Ben Abdelkader, Tyasha Harris, Azura Stevens
Samara: Trinity Baptiste, Saicha Grant-Allen, Jennifer O'Neill
Spartak Moscow: Paris Kea, Unique Thompson

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score

I know the seeding has to go by record and which group you were in, for the prelim games, A or B. By far the two best remaining teams are on the same side of the bracket, Fenerbahce and Praha. Avenida has injuries and Kahleah Copper's brother just died(dont know why or how) and she has gone back home(not sure for how long).
Avenida could make final only with KLS and Copper back.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
I know the seeding has to go by record and which group you were in, for the prelim games, A or B. By far the two best remaining teams are on the same side of the bracket, Fenerbahce and Praha. Avenida has injuries and Kahleah Copper's brother just died(dont know why or how) and she has gone back home(not sure for how long).
Avenida could make final only with KLS and Copper back.
I agree with you on Avenida. They really need KLS and Copper, but I don't see it happening. Wonder if they'd be able to pick up any players from a disqualified Russian team? Or any of the teams, for that matter.

What are your thoughts on Sopron's chances after adding Dolson for the finals? I feel like she and Hatar could be a LETHAL high/low duo...

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
I agree with you on Avenida. They really need KLS and Copper, but I don't see it happening. Wonder if they'd be able to pick up any players from a disqualified Russian team? Or any of the teams, for that matter.

What are your thoughts on Sopron's chances after adding Dolson for the finals? I feel like she and Hatar could be a LETHAL high/low duo...
Haven't seen a Sopron game since Steph joined team. So much went through Gabby before that. Never was a big fan of Hatar. I liked the other big they had last year. I think her name is Kreisjac, or something like that. She just signed with a WNBA team.

Reaction Score
Anna played in her first game yesterday since returning from injury.
Started and played 29 minutes…
14p/4r/3a/2s
4/7 from 3
Second game, although she got limited minutes in her first game. It is good timing with the playoffs starting this weekend. They lost a player as there has been a lot of focus on foreign players in Ukraine and Russia, but not as much on Russian players in other countries. Ksenia Tikhonenko was playing for the team, but just signed back in Russia with Ekaterinburg.

Reaction Score

Copper was back at practice on the 8th

Reaction Score
Haven't seen a Sopron game since Steph joined team. So much went through Gabby before that. Never was a big fan of Hatar. I liked the other big they had last year. I think her name is Kreisjac, or something like that. She just signed with a WNBA team.
Where can I find a link to watch Sopron games? I am a big Stefanies Dolson fan.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom