Overseas 2021-22 Thread | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Overseas 2021-22 Thread

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Avenida, with KLS, Kaleah Copper, Karlie, Hof, Cazorla, et al, will roll.

Valencia has the weird distinction of losing the final game against Girona, but still advancing based on point differential for the two games.

Go Avenida!

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Avenida takes on Valencia for the Spanish League title, with the first game on Sunday May 8. Avenida is the defending champion.

With KLS and Kahleah Copper (last year`s WNBA Finals MVP for the Sky) leading the way for Avenida, I give Valencia very little chance in this series.

I have been an unabashed, kooky crazy fan of Katie Lou for years now. She is only 24, hard to believe, and I know that her WNBA career has been much traveled but I think it is on the upswing nevertheless.

If you have not been following her progress in Europe, you might have forgotten just what a wonderful player she is, and has become as she has expanded her game.

In Euroleague games, her shooting percentages were 52.9 overall, 43.8 on threes, and 88.6 from the line.

In Spain League games, those numbers so far are 52.3, 40.2, and 93.5.

The aggregate free throw percentage is 60 for 66, or 90.9%.

So overall, she is above the amazing 50/40/90 level.

I am hoping that Avenida cruises to victory and that Lou finds her niche back home in Los Angeles with the Sparks.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Avenida wins first game of finals against Valencia, 55-44. Sounds like a crazy game, the Avenida coach got tossed.

Kahleah Copper was the star with 20 points.

The next game is at Valencia on Thursday May 12.

I am assuming it is a best two out of three, and not a total point differential after two games as it has been up until now. If anyone knows for sure, and knows when a third game (if necessary) would be played, I would be interested in that.

Go Avenida!!!!

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Avenida wins first game of finals against Valencia, 55-44. Sounds like a crazy game, the Avenida coach got tossed.

Kahleah Copper was the star with 20 points.

The next game is at Valencia on Thursday May 12.

I am assuming it is a best two out of three, and not a total point differential after two games as it has been up until now. If anyone knows for sure, and knows when a third game (if necessary) would be played, I would be interested in that.

Go Avenida!!!!
All 3 Bigs for Avenida(Hof, Fasoula and Lou) had 4 fouls on them by late in the 3rd quarter. All 3 Bigs for Valencia(Gulich, Carrera and Trahan-Davis) had 1 foul each. I dont blame the Avenida coach for getting tossed in the 3rd quarter. They started calling fouls on Valencia in the 4th quarter when they saw no matter what they did, Avenidas defense was strong. They held Valencia to 0 for 14 on 3 point shots.
Lou played ok, just didnt shoot a ton. Lou's mom tweeted that Lou was sick the past few days.
Arena does not have AC and it was around 80 today in Salamanca with a 4pm start. Players had ice bags on their necks on every time out.
Copper, as Tif Hayes did in the past, takes a ton of bruising in these games

This is a best 2 of 3 series, Thursday in Valencia and Sunday back in Salamanca, if needed.

By the way, IMO, this was a dirty play by the Valencia player tripping Emese Hof, when the refs werent looking. No foul called. Watch her right leg extended on the trip.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
All 3 Bigs for Avenida(Hof, Fasoula and Lou) had 4 fouls on them by late in the 3rd quarter. All 3 Bigs for Valencia(Gulich, Carrera and Trahan-Davis) had 1 foul each. I dont blame the Avenida coach for getting tossed in the 3rd quarter. They started calling fouls on Valencia in the 4th quarter when they saw no matter what they did, Avenidas defense was strong. They held Valencia to 0 for 14 on 3 point shots.
Lou played ok, just didnt shoot a ton. Lou's mom tweeted that Lou was sick the past few days.
Arena does not have AC and it was around 80 today in Salamanca with a 4pm start. Players had ice bags on their necks on every time out.
Copper, as Tif Hayes did in the past, takes a ton of bruising in these games

This is a best 2 of 3 series, Thursday in Valencia and Sunday back in Salamanca, if needed.

By the way, IMO, this was a dirty play by the Valencia player tripping Emese Hof, when the refs werent looking. No foul called. Watch her right leg extended on the trip.

Chris Paul impressed.

Reaction Score
KML's season comes to an end without her playing in the team's last game. One Juste Jocyte had 10 points for the other team though.

Tiffany is day-to-day with an injury so without her and Temi Fagbenle and Quanitra Hollingsworth, her team lost to Kiah's team by a large margin in Game 1. Bria continues to not dress as she is there for if one of the foreign guards is unavailable and opens up a lineup spot.

Reaction Score
In game 1 of the finals, Kiah's stats line was :
4 points (2/4), 10 rebounds, 1 assist, 2 steals, 1 block

Reaction Score
Interresting, looking at this ***g prioritization rule

THE REALITIES OF WNBA STARS WHO PLAY ABROAD

Happy with Courtney:

'I still have more to do': Courtney Vandersloot won't end overseas career, signs to play in Hungary next European season

Beginning next year, any player with more than three years of WNBA experience who doesn’t arrive at training camp on time will be fined 1% of their salary for every day of camp missed. If players don’t arrive by the start of the regular season, they’ll be suspended for its entirety.

“I don’t think it’s the right move,” Vandersloot said. “We have a great opportunity to make very good money overseas, and I don’t think anybody should be able to take that from us. I’m going to continue to play, do what’s best for my career and make the decisions as I come to it.

add to that she's playing for Hungary NT, she & Allie have double citizenship

does WNBA rules want to kill Chicago ???

Ezi Magbebor also signed with Sopron

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The new rule in France to qualify for EuroLeague Women:

L'ordre de l'attribution des tickets pour les Coupes d'Europe :

• 1. L'équipe qui aura dans son effectif le plus d’internationales seniors françaises (5x5 ou 3x3 et sous contrat pour la saison 2023-2024) * ;
  • 2. L'équipe qui aura gagné le titre de Champion de France LFB 2023 ;
  • 3. L'équipe qui aura terminé à la première place de la saison régulière ;
  • 4. L'équipe qui aura gagné la Coupe de France.
Par ailleurs, les playoffs LFB 2023 et 2024 seront raccourcis. Alors qu'ils se jouaient jusqu'ici au meilleur des trois manches, les quarts et demi-finales se joueront en matches aller/retour avec match retour sur le terrain du mieux classé à l’issue de la saison régulière. La finale ne se jouera plus au meilleur des cinq manches mais au meilleur des trois matches avec des matches 2 et éventuellement 3 sur le terrain du mieux classé à l’issue de la saison régulière.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
The new rule in France to qualify for EuroLeague Women:

L'ordre de l'attribution des tickets pour les Coupes d'Europe :

• 1. L'équipe qui aura dans son effectif le plus d’internationales seniors françaises (5x5 ou 3x3 et sous contrat pour la saison 2023-2024) * ;
  • 2. L'équipe qui aura gagné le titre de Champion de France LFB 2023 ;
  • 3. L'équipe qui aura terminé à la première place de la saison régulière ;
  • 4. L'équipe qui aura gagné la Coupe de France.
Par ailleurs, les playoffs LFB 2023 et 2024 seront raccourcis. Alors qu'ils se jouaient jusqu'ici au meilleur des trois manches, les quarts et demi-finales se joueront en matches aller/retour avec match retour sur le terrain du mieux classé à l’issue de la saison régulière. La finale ne se jouera plus au meilleur des cinq manches mais au meilleur des trois matches avec des matches 2 et éventuellement 3 sur le terrain du mieux classé à l’issue de la saison régulière.
English Translation

The order of the allocation of tickets for the European Cups:

1. The team that will have the most senior French internationals in its squad (5x5 or 3x3 and under contract for the 2023-2024 season)*;
2. The team that will have won the title of French LFB Champion 2023;
3. The team that finished first in the regular season;
4. The team that will have won the Coupe de France.
In addition, the LFB 2023 and 2024 playoffs will be shortened. While they have been played so far in the best of three sets, the quarters and semi-finals will be played in home and away matches with a return match on the field of the highest ranked at the end of the regular season. The final will no longer be played as the best of five sets but as the best of three matches with matches 2 and possibly 3 on the field of the highest ranked at the end of the regular season.

Reaction Score
English Translation

The order of the allocation of tickets for the European Cups:

1. The team that will have the most senior French internationals in its squad (5x5 or 3x3 and under contract for the 2023-2024 season)*;
2. The team that will have won the title of French LFB Champion 2023;
3. The team that finished first in the regular season;
4. The team that will have won the Coupe de France.
In addition, the LFB 2023 and 2024 playoffs will be shortened. While they have been played so far in the best of three sets, the quarters and semi-finals will be played in home and away matches with a return match on the field of the highest ranked at the end of the regular season. The final will no longer be played as the best of five sets but as the best of three matches with matches 2 and possibly 3 on the field of the highest ranked at the end of the regular season.

The shortened playoffs will make the schedule gain at least 2 weeks, that makes France finish its season mid may

This year, tomorrow will be game 3 of the quarter finals, even Spain & Turkey have started their finals ...

Probably a way to be attractive to US players, or not to have them leave you in the most important time

and point 1 is probably why Lyon ASVELles is so much after Sandrine Gruda & Gabby Williams, since they already have their share of the National Team

Last edited:

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Congrats to KLS and Kaleah Copper on winning the Spanish League Championship 67-62 over Valencia.
2 game sweep of the Best of 3

Copper had 20 points and Lou had 10, including a big 3 pointer in the last few minutes.

Also, congrats to one of my favorite people of all time Karlie Samuelson with 8 points and 5 rebounds. Hope she hooks on somewhere in the WNBA

Edit--Copper named MVP of Finals

Reaction Score
Kiah and Bria are a game away from the championship in Turkey. Tiffany missed another game.

Reaction Score
Bria still watching from the stands, Kiah came from the bench, had 4 points, 4 rebounds & a steal in 14 minutes

Reaction Score
Kiah played in the last game and had 4 points and 11 rebounds to help Fenerbahce win the championship. Cukurova had basically given up, letting DeWanna Bonner leave before the last game so it is hard to know if Tiffany Hayes not playing any of the games means that she might not be healthy right away for Atlanta. Fenerbahce did let Amanda Zahui B get one game in, but did not have Bria suit up even though they would have won with nearly any lineup.

Reaction Score
Interresting, looking at this ***g prioritization rule

THE REALITIES OF WNBA STARS WHO PLAY ABROAD
I found the article very informative. Too bad tha WNBA does not pay enough so the players have the option to play solely at home. I believe the new rules trying to ensure players are available at season start will hurt the WNBA. Many of the players make a lot more money overseas than with the WNBA and I do not think they will give up that money unless the WNBA raises salaries.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Silly question. What is preventing the WNBA season from starting a month or so later. Don't they avoid any overlap with International play as well as NBA, NHL? More time between college and start of season allowing meaningful training camps etc? :confused:

Reaction Score
Silly question. What is preventing the WNBA season from starting a month or so later. Don't they avoid any overlap with International play as well as NBA, NHL? More time between college and start of season allowing meaningful training camps etc? :confused:
I think I read somewhere they are beginning earlier this year because of FIBA worlds or some such thing. Last year the opening and ending for the WNBA was messed up because of the Olympics. Also last year the season in Europe was extended for many days (weeks) because of postponements/rescheduling for COVID protocols.

Essentially if the WNBA played October to April there wouldn't be all this mess. But then they would also lose a lot of players to Overseas because they pay more.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Is Avenida saying goodbye or so long to Lou?

She has had a phenomenal two year run with them. Two Spanish league titles, two Euroleague Final Fours, a Queen's Cup, playing with Karlie. Teaming up with Tiffany Hayes in year one and Kahleah Copper in year two.

I would love to see her back there but with WNBA rule changes, her own life off the court, or other opportunities, maybe not happening. Nice run though.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom