Our Texas guru: Coach Bill...any new news? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Our Texas guru: Coach Bill...any new news?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoachBill

Wise Eye
Reaction Score
Charliebball - my read / feel is that UConn will have a good shot with both

go / huskies - as with most of these kids.. depends on the game. But imo... Di Di Richards is one of the most intriguing players in class. Great size for a Wing ( 6'2" ) very smooth & skilled overall. Good athlete. Will be tough matchup & potentially impact games in many areas.
If she can refine, tweak her perimeter shooting stroke a touch.. potentially adding more consistency ( esp from distance ), she can be an All American caliber player.
She has a ton of Upside

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score

Hate to keep bugging you, but have you heard things about Prince and UConn? The Huskies were one of her final considerations before she initially gave a verbal to Texas. Since then there's been no connecting talk about her and UConn.

Reaction Score
What a gem Coach Bill is for the BY. I almost feel like we should pay him to be our professional scout.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
and if you are into the twitter conspiracy thing that started with Azura Stevens,....Jade just started following both Baylor Women's Basketball and Kim Mulkey

Well good. Williams isn't coming to UConn so let's hope she goes to Baylor where she can sit behind the gazillion post players Mulkey is signing. This is great news.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
CHRISTYN WILLIAMS : my 1st time seeing her live... after seeing a good bit of film.

As most of you already know, she is a Lefty . 5'10" ish , quality strength for a young h.s. prospect. I wouldn't assess her an "elite" athlete ( run, jump )...but she is def a very good athlete. Definitely capable of some smooth, impressive finishes. Quick first & second step.
Along with the Lefty advantage... her Quickness, Strength, Length and Handle make her a game in - game out LOAD to deal with off the dribble, attacking the rim.
She is very capable of creating mid range pullup shots (including vs contested defense ). she is already VERY tough to handle 1 vs 1 ( incl vs older defenders )
The afformentioned physical attributes also make her a consistent threat on the Offensive Boards.
As you would summize, she is certainly LOAD to deal with in the open court / Transition. Moving forward over the next couple years, I would like to see an enhanced capacity with Passing acumen off the dribble. She seems to represent the precocious type that has been so productive, talented with attacking rim - finishing on her own or drawing Fouls... that at times she misses the UConn-esque passing reads/ opportunities... to take it herself. Sometimes leading to difficult finish attempts.. where an "on time - on target " Pass would lead to an easier opportunity for a teammate.
Just a part of the Growth , Efficiency process for such a talented young scorer.

I would consider her at this stage a "good" perimeter shooter. She has a high arching shot that looks very solid in terms of structure. I saw her make multiple Transition spot up 3's... looking comfortable with catch & shoots after a transition run. Good sign of a competent shooter, quality stroke.
For the most part... she has a pretty good Recognition level in terms of shot selection. I also have a good impression of her feel, discipline for not "over" dribbling. She seems smart ( esp. relative to age ) about her commitment to Attack once she puts it on the floor. I didn't really see wasted dribbles.

She looks to be a Good FT shooter. which should prove to be a real x-factor in her career... since she is such a LOAD attacking paint, rim.. and should draw Fouls consistently with her aggressive, physical style.
She certainly seems to have a comfortability with contact... and the capacity to finish through contact.

Defensively.. she seems to have the requisite appetite, activity level, competitive Pride & Toughness to be a very competent Defender moving forward. She, like 95% of talented h.s. kids,, just needs college level training on that end. She also should be an Above Avg / very good Rebounder for a 2G / Wing

She doesn't appear to be an expressive competitor, teammate supporter on the level of her buddy Lexi Gordon... but she displays a smoldering internal Fire. I could consistently see it in her face, eyes. But she will show emotion here or there. There is definitely an internal "edge" to her on court presence. Appears ver competitive & driven.

I have said prior ... that a year from now, I could definitely envision Christyn taking on a very similar profile
( game / skills, physical presence, mental intangibles, consistent dominant impact, Efficiency ! ) that are currently on display from Megan Walker.

Thanks coach Bill, You sir are a real treasure to us here in the yard. Your reports are truly appreciated. :)

Reaction Score
I would like to second Carnac's thank you (although being "Carnac", he probably knew I would do it before I did:)) for the great posts from Coach Bill. It is tough for a basketball junkie to go cold turkey sweating it out until November. Along comes a post by Coach Bill and I've had my "fix" and can manage to survive another day. I am also thankful for Doggydaddy's wonderful informative blog site that keeps us informed and entertained as well with facts, logic, and wit. And of course the Boneyard does a great job to keep us in survival mode until that first fall scrimmage and beyond. We are truly basketball blessed.

Reaction Score
I would like to add my thanks to Coach Bill for his player analysis.................that said..................OK Coach Bill, have you had a chance to see my two favorite local girls, Michelle Sidor and Faith Mansonious...............the are 2019 class and don't have all the hype that follow some of the big name players but they are on track for upper Div 1 play............let us know if you into them in your travels......

Reaction Score

go / huskies - as with most of these kids.. depends on the game. But imo... Di Di Richards is one of the most intriguing players in class. Great size for a Wing ( 6'2" ) very smooth & skilled overall. Good athlete. Will be tough matchup & potentially impact games in many areas.
If she can refine, tweak her perimeter shooting stroke a touch.. potentially adding more consistency ( esp from distance ), she can be an All American caliber player.
She has a ton of Upside
Sounds like Baylor got a good one.

CoachBill

Wise Eye
Reaction Score
I would like to add my thanks to Coach Bill for his player analysis.......that said...OK Coach Bill, have you had a chance to see my two favorite local girls, Michelle Sidor and Faith Mansonious.....the are 2019 class and don't have all the hype that follow some of the big name players but they are on track for upper Div 1 play..let us know if you into them in your travels.

charliebball - thanks for the nice sentiment.

I actually have not seen them live yet. .. hoping pretty soon

CoachBill

Wise Eye
Reaction Score
Thanks coach Bill, You sir are a real treasure to us here in the yard. Your reports are truly appreciated. :)

carnac & uconnMark - Thank you for the very kind & supportive sentiments

CoachBill

Wise Eye
Reaction Score
sluconn - from what I hear... sounds like UConn will be a factor with Sedona Prince , and that Lexi is working on her

I have to say... in WBB having a recruit with Lexi's personal intangibles & popularity being very active in trying to help recruiting efforts is a Big deal. ( esp living in such a talent rich state as TX )
It is very common on the boy's side for players to invest time recruiting each other... but not so much within landscape of the girls side.
Usually kids make what they consider the best overall decision for themselves... but having a peer like Lexi invest as an extra recruiter can be distinguishable.

Bgillon - thanks a lot for veryy kind sentiment.

Reaction Score
It's interesting that contact with college coaches and potential future teammates is carefully regulated but that those already committed to a school can do whatever they want to convince others. I don't see how it could be regulated fairly--especially in this age of social media--but just saying....

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
sluconn - from what I hear... sounds like UConn will be a factor with Sedona Prince , and that Lexi is working on her

Interesting on several levels, not the least of which is UConn targeting both Collier and Prince. Has to be one or the other I would think.

Reaction Score
Interesting on several levels, not the least of which is UConn targeting both Collier and Prince. Has to be one or the other I would think.

gotta cast a wide net to get at least one of those big bodies...................

CoachBill

Wise Eye
Reaction Score
bags27 - I don't get why it is confusing to you.

1 ) a "commited" player is not an official paid representative of an Institution.. as a college coach is. so that in itself creates a different dynamic.
college coaches have plenty of opportunity to use there skills of persuasion to try to convince kids to come to their school. it is called the Recruiting process. Their has to be guidelines with the coaches.

2 ) high school players are allowed to have friends and it is irrational to consider that friends, teammates,etc would not have a potential interest to attend same school or at minimal shares thoughs about a school, program.

3) as a "just saying " - on boys side they often publicly convey their interests to have certian peers, friends join them. Manyyy recruiting pieces will include content with a boy's player relaying who who he wants / is talking to about potentially joining him. ( "package deals " )

The NCAA is certainly not going to try to administer to high school players they can't discuss with , try to encourage their friends / teammates from joining them at a school.
It would be an irrational perspective - consideration

4 ) considering how "spin" oriented or even less than Honest a majority of college coaches can be through the process ..... peers are often a prospective recruits greatest resource within the recruiting process.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
It's interesting that contact with college coaches and potential future teammates is carefully regulated but that those already committed to a school can do whatever they want to convince others. I don't see how it could be regulated fairly--especially in this age of social media--but just saying....
To elaborate on what Coach Bill just said - an oral commitment is not binding on any partynor is it considered a verbal contract. In other words, a girl that has given an oral commitment is viewed as the same as one who hasn't. She's free to contact other schools, other recruits, etc. if she so chooses. It's awkward, yes, but perfectly "legal", according to NCAA rules.

Reaction Score
bags27 - I don't get why it is confusing to you.

1 ) a "commited" player is not an official paid representative of an Institution.. as a college coach is. so that in itself creates a different dynamic.

4 ) considering how "spin" oriented or even less than Honest a majority of college coaches can be through the process ..... peers are often a prospective recruits greatest resource within the recruiting process.

Coach Bill..........we've been waiting quite awhile for some of these recruits to make their decisions...........I have always felt that the better players often hold out longer (one example being Megan Walker) so that they can see how a particular program's roster is shaping up.............any thoughts on this?

Reaction Score
To elaborate on what Coach Bill just said - an oral commitment is not binding on any partynor is it considered a verbal contract. In other words, a girl that has given an oral commitment is viewed as the same as one who hasn't. She's free to contact other schools, other recruits, etc. if she so chooses. It's awkward, yes, but perfectly "legal", according to NCAA rules.
Thanks HuskyNan. Once formally committed, can a recruit continue to contact potential recruits or is than then off limits?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Thanks HuskyNan. Once formally committed, can a recruit continue to contact potential recruits or is than then off limits?
An oral commitment is non-binding; a Letter of Intent is. The recruit isn't bound by any NCAA rules until she signs in the early signing period in November or the regular period in the spring. When she does sign, she becomes a Representative of School Interests (booster).

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
One more Blue Star evaluation of Masonius from Boo Williams:

Faith Masonius – 2019 – 6-0 – Guard / Forward – (NJ Belles Masonius)

Do-it-all player effortlessly floats from the perimeter to the interior and back. She is a mismatch threat who can play 1-4 and is equal parts crafty, explosive and rugged. A vocal leader who commands her teammates respect, she is, at her core, a winning basketball player who does whatever it takes to be successful. Shot-maker; hustler; unselfish – what coach doesn’t want that type of player?

And one of Mo'ne Davis, yes, the Mo'ne Davis.

Mo’ne Davis – 2019 – 5-8 – Guard – (Philly Triple Threat – 9th Girls)

The Taney Dragons Little League superstar pitcher demonstrated her unique all-around athletic ability by making instinctual plays on both sides of the floor. A scorer with creative handles, she relishes the big stage and has major upside on the basketball court.

http://www.bluestarmedia.org/new-power-generation-2016-boo-williams-invitational/

Reaction Score
One more Blue Star evaluation of Masonius from Boo Williams: Mo’ne Davis – 2019 – 5-8 – Guard – (Philly Triple Threat – 9th Girls)

Uh-oh, another minor infraction, just from mentioning her on this fan website....

CoachBill

Wise Eye
Reaction Score
I do not see anything "awkward " about h.s. players trying encourage friends / other recruits to strongly consider the school they plan to attend. . To me, it makes a ton of sense. Why wouldn't you try to have some influence ( if possible ) on who some future teammates might be.
againn.. it has happened on the boys side consistently for a long time. and it is widely covered & embraced by the basketball community on that side. It is a very public dynamic on boys side.

If a popular & very outgoing female player such as Lexi chooses to be proactive ... God Bless her. and I feel veryy confident in saying I can't see her being public with it at all.
In my view.. it would be a bit of a double standard to judge any female player for doing it... when it is fully accepted & embraced on the Boy's side.

I also should follow up and stress... Lexi Gordon is very popular nationally with many profile prospectes... and VERY popular within the state of Texas. so whether she is active in talking to others about strongly considering UConn OR she isn't at all.... her presence as a UConn commit definitely an extra bonus for the Huskies recruiting within the 2017 & 2018 classes ( obviously especially with Texas kids ).

charliebball - I have seen plenty of cases both ways ( early & late ) regarding when high profile players make their decision. Its all relative actually... esp on the girls side.
On the boy's side...in recent years it has become more fashionable for Top 25 guys to make LATE decisions..(into Spring of Senior year )
to evaluate coaching changes & early entry dynamics.
Obviously WBB does not have the early entry dynamic.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I too appreciate Coach Bill's input. I hope that has been obvious. But sorry, Bill, I'm not paying you. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom