Our Texas guru: Coach Bill...any new news? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Our Texas guru: Coach Bill...any new news?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Helloo

just got home from a long 3 day run at Boo / EYBL
will look to post some thoughts tomm on UConn commits , targets
Can't wait coach. You're manna from the post season gods.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Coach, if you notice Uconn coaches watching games without some of our known targets that would be very welcome info as well as any player insights you have.
Thanks.

CoachBill

Wise Eye
Reaction Score
Coach Bill ‏@NYcoach Apr 23
@UConnWBB fans..your girl @Lexi_g34 just had a WINNING performance in Win Made multiple Big 3's & bunch of Winning plays on both ends #TOUGH

@UConnWBB 2017 commit @Lexi_g34 has primary rep as Shooter but there is a lot of other #winning aspects to what she brings @NikeGirlsEYBL

@christyn2000 like the right Wing 3 ! Book another to start 2nd quarter followed by her buddy @Lexi_g34 with a deep J

@Lexi_g34 simmering in 2nd qtr for @coachjustin22 Perim shooting. Likes top of key

@christyn2000 williams lane bucket... then buddy @Lexi_g34 takes #Charge

#Elite 2018 2G @christyn2000 = game in game out #Load to handle attacking Rim... handle, quicks, strength Mixes in J's

Coach Bill ‏@NYcoach Apr 22
2017 @UConnWBB verbal @Lexi_g34 struggling Offensively in 1st half... but kept pluggin / competing #ELITE 2018 @christyn2000 with deep 3

Reaction Score
Coach Bill...........interested in your thoughts on UConn targets Jade Williams and Charli Collier....................from what I could see the two playing together made it difficult for either of them to dominate play

HGN

Reaction Score
Helloo

just got home from a long 3 day run at Boo / EYBL
will look to post some thoughts tomm on UConn commits , targets
Thanks Coach.............I'm looking forward to it.

Reaction Score
I am trying to find out if Olivia Owens [Albany area] AAU team might be coming to Hartford. If I hear anything I will let you know.
Don't know about Baskerville. If we do meet up I will pretend to listen to your wisdom.
I figure the scrimmages at Gampel are a thing of the past...except maybe for once a year UConn club members.[/QUOTE

Hi Blake!
This is a bad news, good news response. Olivia's AAU team does not appear headed to Connecticut. The good news is you go to Beyond the Games: Olivia Owens |WRGB there is a nice interview with Olivia and some footage of her.

CoachBill

Wise Eye
Reaction Score
Quick tidbit on 6'4" 2018 NY Forward Danielle Cosgrove . UConn watched this past weekend at Boo . ( as did Notre Dame )

imo...2017 #1 MEGAN WALKER @iball_crzy would be #1 in 2016 too Mind & Game look next level ready now normally don't say with h.s. kids #EYBL

Simple Truth = when U are rated #1 . You get every opposing Defenders Best effort. Challenges Game & MIND. @iball_crzy still Thrives #EYBL

2017 #1 Meg Walker @iball_crzy is not only deserving of Top spot with her Talent, Impact on games...but also for #APPROACH @NikeGirlsEYBL

1 aspect i Love with 2017 #1 overall @iball_crzy plays smaller than her height with Ball in hands #Low man Wins ! Strong! @NikeGirlsEYBL

2017 #1 MEGAN WALKER @iball_crzy College Off game & body right now. Smooth, Legit handle, creates shots like guy..Efficient. Mature focus!

will be back later this afternoon with some EVAL thoughts ( Gordon, Espinoza - Hunter, Collier, Williams, etc )

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Thanks a latte Bill! Love reading stuff about our kids coming in. Obviously probably all of us can't see them live so it's great to get an objective review. Thanks again!!

CoachBill

Wise Eye
Reaction Score
MDoggie - I actually live 10 minues from Danielle. have seen her a enough to know exactly what she is currently (game & intangibles)... and projecting ahead.
have developed a quality rapport with parents

have shared an Eval on her in a couple prior threads... but will share again in a BOO recap post in a bit

Reaction Score
I checked out her video on YouTube. Impressive, however I don't know the level of competition.

CoachBill

Wise Eye
Reaction Score
BOO / EYBL Recap Evals

LEXI GORDON : This was my first in person viewing of Lexi. As most fans already know, she entered this weekend with a Texas , National reputation as a strong 3-pr shooter. Having watched a film of her, followed her closely since last summer and having talked to those who have seen her Live a bunch over last year.. and now studying her stroke for myself in person over a few games
for me, I would not classify her as an " Elite shooter" at this point, as Katie Lou was considered coming out of h.s. - but I do see her quality shooter right now.. with a shooting stroke & mind ( important variable when projecting shooters to next level ) that I would project to be a 40%+ 3pt shooter from Soph - Senior years in college. My experience tells me you never know how Freshman will transfer shooting the ball.
I alluded to her Mind and how it can / will play a role with shooting... the aspect that impressed me the Most all weekend studying Lexi were her competitive maturity and strength of mind , including during adversity.
I tweeted about it over the weekend, this young lady just keeps plugging ! her shot wasnt falling like she is accustomed through her first 3 games, and yet she pretty much showed No body language that would suggest so... she always seemed to move on to the next play, and also was distinguishable in being a great teammate throughout. Add in the magnitude of this weekend with it being an EYBL event ( highest level of competition) and an Evaluation period within short period of becoming a UConn commit.
= Pressure !
It is extremely rare to witness a teenage player with that level Maturity and athletic emotional / mental strength. She gave an unwaivering impression of a athlete who was just immersed in trying to Compete, Win and be a Leader...regardless of how possessions were working out for her individually.

Physically... she has quality strength for a H.S. player and Long arms. I would project her as a Avg - Good athlete for High Major college basketball. Her Strength, Long arms and distinguishable Toughness, Competitiveness allow her to be a quality Defender against like size or taller matchups. She routinely battles vs true Post players. Those attributes also transfer into her being an above Avg Rebounder for a Wing player.
Like 90 % of h.s. kids.. especially bigger Wings, she will definitely have to put work into Defending with a legit Stance out on the perimeter vs college level perim players.
certainly geno & staff have a track record for that area of development, and lexi definitely provides the necessary appetite needed.

She currently has what i personally assess as an "Avg' handle for a D1 caliber Wing. it is more straight line profficient...than a shifty separation type handle. Not be an explosive type athlete, she will also need develop more " POUND the ball urgency" with much of her 1/2 court dribbles .
I was impressed with her efficiency of dribble & IQ . She is smart about opportunities to penetrate & Not settle for deep jumpshots.

She is a very capable 1-2 dribble Mid range shooter. Her relative short shooting stroke allows her to get it off efficiently.

I feel at this stage... she can miss too many "chippy" type shots (often at end of quality drive) ... that hopefully will be rectified with enhanced focus that can often come with just being another year or two experienced, and taking concentration to next level, once you trust your body more against resistance, elite competition.
as a player development guy.. I would love to her take advantage of her strength & appetite for Toughness, by looking to draw more contact / fouls when she gets deep in lane. Seek contact !
Similar to the identity Kia Nurse took on and really took advantage in her Freshman season.
Speaking of Kia Nurse... Lexi should bring similar Toughness and college ready body, and the same Size. Lexi should bring even more Emotion & be an instant Energy "giver" kid.
Many will read a little to much into this next commentary..but I shared with her parents, that in some ways she reminds me of Diana Taurasi in terms of body frame, many in game mannerisns , infectious competitive energy, competes with a Smile, draws people to her.

The more you watch her... especially in person. similar to most UConn recruits... she truly represents a basketball player. Skilled, Smart , Tough.
I came away with such a high compliment for her in that even when her shot isn't falling, she will impact her team , the game in other ways.

feel free to ask a specific question, if I did not cover an aspect of Interest.

CoachBill

Wise Eye
Reaction Score
Mdoggie - yeah, like a number of kids, her consistent high school team competition is relatively weak. but she does / has played for Philly Belles ( EYBL /aau ) and is already in the USA team trials mix.
So certainly by next fall, she will definitely be accustomed to Elite level comp. and again, only a Soph.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Coach - really nice in-depth analysis. The shooting observations are borne out by looking at HS stats that some folks did here. What is really hard to get without actual observation are the qualities you talk about in terms of demeanor and attitude. Not surprising that they stood out to you, tends to be true of folks Uconn offers, but nice to get that confirmation.

CoachBill

Wise Eye
Reaction Score
ANDRA ESPINOZA - HUNTER : I have seen Andra in in person viewings since her 8th grade, when she created an early buzz as a precocious, fearless 3-pt shooter for Ossining H.S. ( playing with Chong )
I saw her at this same event last year. ( vs ELITE competition as only a Soph)
at this point, while only finishing her Junior year... you get the feeling that "Andi" has pretty much seen it all, relative to a high school kid. With her h.s. team, Philly belles aau team and her USA basketball experiences. She is truly a young balla that is truly comfortable playing against older players.
She plays with the comfortability & pace of a player that has been tested for a while .

Similar to Lexi (and a few other shooter reputation girls at the event ) , Andi struggled from behind the Arc for her standards the first day plus.

Andi truly fits the coach's description of a "Winning team complementary player " . She may / likely never be a Starter at UConn... but she continues to give me the look of a Smart, reliable, "do a little of everything" Wing that can make open shots !
She can handle it a little ( combo guard in a pinch in college ) , very reliable decision maker. very UNselfish, team oriented . The type that a coach will trust quickly.

She shows the capacity to make a few very good passes off penetration. Similar to Lexi.. Andi is what I would evaluate as an "Avg" athlete by High major college standards. So she will not pull off any explosive type drives or finishes. But she also like Lexi has a mature , strong body and plays with Toughness in most aspects of game.
I was very pleased to see on Saturday that Andi was getting to the FT line (drawing contact / fouls ) with some deep drives.
I had had a converation with her earlier in day about mixing in a "Floater" to provide her another in lane scoring option before dealing with Post players , and removing any h.s. type scoop, avoid blocks releases. But she countered that perspective, opyion by getting deep and drawing Fouls. Which she complements with being a very good FT shooter.

She seems college & UConn ready for most part already with being a true Team player and kid who doesn't try to do "too much" , she plays a very efficient game almost all the time. One aspect that as a college coach, I have definitely noticed and appreciated. She is an advance Post feeder for a h.s. kid. She also usually makes right read with penetrate - kick dynamic.
She provides a calming influence on the court.
She should mix in perfectly with a program that is epitome of team play. playing efficiently & making Open shots

ALSO : I could go on all night about what a Wonderful kid and class act she is is !! A true sweatheart away from court, that seemingly always has a great "response " , energy, personality.

Last edited:

CoachBill

Wise Eye
Reaction Score
UcMiami - one thing that really resonates seeing both lexi & Andi in person... is that they are rock solid ( minimal ) competitors & basketball minds. Including through basketball adversity
which I can't say enough is a Big variable when projecting what a player "can be" at next level .. including the potential for Over achieving , reaching full potential.

Reaction Score
Coach Bill - Am I crazy or is Cristyn Williams a really terrific basketball player? I love the 2 UConn recruits you just discussed but I see Cristyn on a different level both in skills and athletically........................she too is cool under pressure and fits the UConn profile perfectly...........................also waiting for any comments on Jade Williams and Charli Coliier.

Reaction Score
Geno was at Boo Williams watching Faith Masonius ('19).
A refresher on Masonius starts here:

A Name to Remember: Sam Brunelle - 2019 William Monroe (VA)

That's my girl!!!!!!!

Is Manasquan's Faith Masonius UConn's Answer to the Mabrey Sisters

Discussion in 'UConn Women's Basketball' started by Charliebball, Mar 11, 2016.

1. While awaiting march Madness I couldn't help but think about future Connecticut players in our area. Why worry about convincing players from Texas to leave the Lone Star State if there is excellent homegrown talent just a couple of hours away.

I have already mentioned Saddle River Day's Michelle Sidor, NJ's leading scorer as a freshman in an earlier thread. The other super NJ freshman that has also been discussed on this site is Manasquan's Faith Masonius. Faith is a big part of Manasquan's continued high ranking in NJ basketball. It is the same school that has produced the two Mabrey sisters of ND fame with a third currently staring on the HS team.

Faith is the only NJ player listed in ESPN's top players of 2019. Here is recent comment about her game.

https://i2./hoopgroup.com/hoopgroup/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/untitled-300x240.png?resize=300%2C240&ssl=1https://i2./hoopgroup.com/hoopgroup/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/th5KFQ94RH.jpg?resize=413%2C239&ssl=1

FAITH MASONIUS- 6FT- MANASQUAN- SWING

She is one of the most talented players to enter the Shore Conference in years. The talented freshman is already one of the best players in the state for any grade. She not only lived up to the hype this year, but proved she could handle any type pressure. In big games her performances were breath taking. She was nothing short of sensational in the SHORE CONFERENCE CHAMPIONSHIP GAME. She averaged over 17 points a game against teams ranked in the Top 10 in the state (not counting her opening game of her career). This season Faith Mansonius averaged 13.1 ppg…6.4 rebounds and 2.5 assist on the season. This was just a start to what will be a brilliant career. While playing out of position all year, Masonius at times was dominant on the biggest of stages. Her ability to impact the game in so many ways, made it impossible for most teams to prepare for her. The shooting ability along with the ball handling skills make for a dangerous combination. She no question will be one of the most recruited players in all of America… Before she has played her last game she will enter the discussion as greatest player in Shore History.

As others have pointed out in another thread, Faith has UConn connections as her mother played college ball at St Joe's and later coached at UConn in the late 80's with GA and CD. Her brother is also currently playing on the UConn hockey team.

From what I observed in the times I have seen her play live, she is a highly skilled player with a great motor and high basketball IQ.

I certainly can't predict whether she will develop into a UConn caliber player but she is certainly headed in the right direction

Reaction Score

CoachBill

Wise Eye
Reaction Score
MEGAN WALKER : I had seen some of megan over the last year... but not this extensively in terms of game minutes . It was terrific to have the opportunity to watch a few full games vs ELITE competiton, and be able to lock in and study every little thing she did.

I had a fan on Twitter ask me on Thursday if there was a player that I thought could be the next Stewie type Star
my response was I did not see one that could be a star of that magnitude...but that megan Walker was "LEGIT". well.. after 3 days of studying her with very Picky eyes
( college standards )

She may not fill up the Trophy case after 4 years like Stewie... but megan Walker can & should definitely fullfil the projection of being a multi year All American caliber star.
I tweeted over the weekend that in my opinon, she would also be the #1 ranked player in 2016 class. I also think I could very well think same if she was in 2015 class ( ahead of Katie Lou )

This level of esteemed praise... is not only due to her very versatile & polished skills, game... but just as much for the advanced, college ready Mental, Competitive intangibles.
Megan Walker is not only a Beast with her offensive game, college ready body....
but studying her every possession "approach", Focus, Maturity.. playing a lot of minutes under the duress of receiving every defenders best effort.... this young lady was a Beast mentally as well.
As a 6'1" perim player.. she played a good amount of PG for her team... and handled the role efficiently... both facilitating offense for her team and finding the right opportunities to be aggressive with her 3 level ( 3pt , mid range, drives ro rim ) scoring prowess. She plays with the pace, body control & recognition of a quality IQ player that is just better than everyone else on the floor.... not just physically, but mentally. )

In April of her Junior year... her development "in my view" had her far closer to looking like Maya Moore than I was ever expecting to grant her.
please do not get carried away with the comparison, reference... as there are never clones . But she actually had me considering the comparison through the weekend.. and I definitely did not expect to go there prior to the event.

she made so many polished decisions all weekend weather is be playmaking OR scoring decisions. I came away very impressed with her development as a "playmaker" , combo guard consideration at next level.

She was a woman vs girls with physical, aggresive drives, playing through contact, finishing with both hands. I adore how she drops a level & get lower than defender on hard dribble moves, penetration. She displayed an advanced combination of being able to attack the lane - but with legit body control to pullup on a dime mid range or take deep for strong finishes. Megan has terrific prowess as a create shot - mid range pullup shooter. I expect it to go in everytime. to complement it, she displays a strong feel for knowing the appropriate spot to get to with her dribble to clear one line of defender & before the next line.
( that is very polished attribute )

Her 3pt shooting stroke is good enough to be a threat to be respected.... she readily admits currently that she needs to keep working on it to be even more consitent / shoot higher %. The stroke overall is solid. for "me", she would add a touch more Arc.

She has LEGIT handle to work off pretty much perim defenders of all sizes & athleticism. College level handle.

just like 99% of h.s. kids .. she will need college level training with perim defense ( stance, hard slides, discipline,etc ) . But she definitely showed a noticeable concencentration , appetite, activity level to be commended. She invests as a rebounder with plenty of comfortability with mixing it up - playing Tough in the lane.

I cannot say enough about how she looked the part of "engaged" just about every possession. ( both ends - playing a lot of minutes )
I have seen many #1 ranked kids ( girls & boys 0 through the years, that had the physical talent & skills to be worthy of such a lofty ranking... but this young lady also brings the mental intangibles that warrnat the distinction of being considered the undisputed #1

In my view.. she looked COLLEGE READY now... and I can not be more honest, that I very have / would say that about a h.s. kid. much less one that is just finishing her JR year.

for me...She looked the part of a future 2-3 year All American candidate & potential complete player ... potential #1 pick in WNBA draft.
( especially due to her mental intangibles )

HGN

Reaction Score
MEGAN WALKER : I had seen some of megan over the last year... but not this extensively in terms of game minutes . It was terrific to have the opportunity to watch a few full games vs ELITE competiton, and be able to lock in and study every little thing she did.

I had a fan on Twitter ask me on Thursday if there was a player that I thought could be the next Stewie type Star
my response was I did not see one that could be a star of that magnitude...but that megan Walker was "LEGIT". well.. after 3 days of studying her with very Picky eyes
( college standards )

She may not fill up the Trophy case after 4 years like Stewie... but megan Walker can & should definitely fullfil the projection of being a multi year All American caliber star.
I tweeted over the weekend that in my opinon, she would also be the #1 ranked player in 2016 class. I also think I could very well think same if she was in 2015 class ( ahead of Katie Lou )

This level of esteemed praise... is not only due to her very versatile & polished skills, game... but just as much for the advanced, college ready Mental, Competitive intangibles.
Megan Walker is not only a Beast with her offensive game, college ready body....
but studying her every possession "approach", Focus, Maturity.. playing a lot of minutes under the duress of receiving every defenders best effort.... this young lady was a Beast mentally as well.
As a 6'1" perim player.. she played a good amount of PG for her team... and handled the role efficiently... both facilitating offense for her team and finding the right opportunities to be aggressive with her 3 level ( 3pt , mid range, drives ro rim ) scoring prowess. She plays with the pace, body control & recognition of a quality IQ player that is just better than everyone else on the floor.... not just physically, but mentally. )

In April of her Junior year... her development "in my view" had her far closer to looking like Maya Moore than I was ever expecting to grant her.
please do not get carried away with the comparison, reference... as there are never clones . But she actually had me considering the comparison through the weekend.. and I definitely did not expect to go there prior to the event.

she made so many polished decisions all weekend weather is be playmaking OR scoring decisions. I came away very impressed with her development as a "playmaker" , combo guard consideration at next level.

She was a woman vs girls with physical, aggresive drives, playing through contact, finishing with both hands. I adore how she drops a level & get lower than defender on hard dribble moves, penetration. She displayed an advanced combination of being able to attack the lane - but with legit body control to pullup on a dime mid range or take deep for strong finishes. Megan has terrific prowess as a create shot - mid range pullup shooter. I expect it to go in everytime. to complement it, she displays a strong feel for knowing the appropriate spot to get to with her dribble to clear one line of defender & before the next line.
( that is very polished attribute )

Her 3pt shooting stroke is good enough to be a threat to be respected.... she readily admits currently that she needs to keep working on it to be even more consitent / shoot higher %. The stroke overall is solid. for "me", she would add a touch more Arc.

She has LEGIT handle to work off pretty much perim defenders of all sizes & athleticism. College level handle.

just like 99% of h.s. kids .. she will need college level training with perim defense ( stance, hard slides, discipline,etc ) . But she definitely showed a noticeable concencentration , appetite, activity level to be commended. She invests as a rebounder with plenty of comfortability with mixing it up - playing Tough in the lane.

I cannot say enough about how she looked the part of "engaged" just about every possession. ( both ends - playing a lot of minutes )
I have seen many #1 ranked kids ( girls & boys 0 through the years, that had the physical talent & skills to be worthy of such a lofty ranking... but this young lady also brings the mental intangibles that warrnat the distinction of being considered the undisputed #1

In my view.. she looked COLLEGE READY now... and I can not be more honest, that I very have / would say that about a h.s. kid. much less one that is just finishing her JR year.

for me...She looked the part of a future 2-3 year All American candidate & potential complete player ... potential #1 pick in WNBA draft.
( especially due to her mental intangibles )
Thanks coach........We appreciate the feedback and assessments.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Wait a minute -- are we talking about this past weekend? If so, then the big news here is that Geno is out on the recruiting trail and is no longer convalescing at home.

That is the first I have heard that he is back in action.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom