Our Texas guru: Coach Bill...any new news? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Our Texas guru: Coach Bill...any new news?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
What a gem Coach Bill is for the BY. I almost feel like we should pay him to be our professional scout.
money-hands.jpg

Reaction Score
It is great to have such a knowledgeable poster as Coach Bill on this board! I like everyone else look forward to his posts.

Reaction Score
I too appreciate Coach Bill's input. I hope that has been obvious. But sorry, Bill, I'm not paying you. ;)

A bit OT: May I assume that's Milford as in Milford CT? Spent many wonderful summers on Shell Ave where we had a family house for 85 years.............had to sell it a few years ago................the waterfront taxes just got out of hand...............miss it a lot..............used to babysit for your current mayor..............

Reaction Score
I do not see anything "awkward " about h.s. players trying encourage friends / other recruits to strongly consider the school they plan to attend. . To me, it makes a ton of sense. Why wouldn't you try to have some influence ( if possible ) on who some future teammates might be.
againn.. it has happened on the boys side consistently for a long time. and it is widely covered & embraced by the basketball community on that side. It is a very public dynamic on boys side.

If a popular & very outgoing female player such as Lexi chooses to be proactive ... God Bless her. and I feel veryy confident in saying I can't see her being public with it at all.
In my view.. it would be a bit of a double standard to judge any female player for doing it... when it is fully accepted & embraced on the Boy's side.

I also should follow up and stress... Lexi Gordon is very popular nationally with many profile prospectes... and VERY popular within the state of Texas. so whether she is active in talking to others about strongly considering UConn OR she isn't at all.... her presence as a UConn commit definitely an extra bonus for the Huskies recruiting within the 2017 & 2018 classes ( obviously especially with Texas kids ).

charliebball - I have seen plenty of cases both ways ( early & late ) regarding when high profile players make their decision. Its all relative actually... esp on the girls side.
On the boy's side...in recent years it has become more fashionable for Top 25 guys to make LATE decisions..(into Spring of Senior year )
to evaluate coaching changes & early entry dynamics.
Obviously WBB does not have the early entry dynamic.
As you say Bill, there's nothing wrong with the friends recruiting friends. I believe this practice started way back in 1966 when Howard Garfinkel started the Five Star summer camps and for the first time, top boys players from different regions were able to begin mingling and playing other top competition. The girl's version probably got started with Flynn's 5 Star in Penn. and others like it and now social media has really made it very commonplace. BTW, Garfinkel could have been a twin brother to Abe Vigoda.

Reaction Score
bags27 - I don't get why it is confusing to you.
The NCAA is certainly not going to try to administer to high school players they can't discuss with , try to encourage their friends / teammates from joining them at a school.
It would be an irrational perspective - consideration.
Thanks, CoachBill. I appreciate your taking the time to respond and clarify. I don't follow at all the process of recruitment, but, like most folks, hear anecdotally of violations which sound to us civilians to be incredibly stupid things to call violations. So, I was just wondering where the line is drawn formally. Of course, it's impossible to regulate these things closely and completely unfair actions will occur: hence my joke about our discussing Mo'ne Davis on this Board. For example, what happens when a formally (in writing) committed player is playing in an invitational with an undeclared player, who congratulates the committed player on her scholarship and the committed player in response gushes about her choice of schools. They're just making conversation, but might not that be a violation? And yet, what 17 year old kid, so excited about where she's going, wouldn't tell the undeclared player why? Impossible to regulate consistently, is all I'm saying. Which is why we get these incredibly stupid things like Geno being slapped for calling Mo'ne Davis. (Even UConn compliance thought it would be okay, and it turned out not to be.) I'm not criticizing what Lexi is doing, just trying to understanding where the so-called line is drawn. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Reaction Score
Thanks, CoachBill. I appreciate your taking the time to respond and clarify. I don't follow at all the process of recruitment, but, like most folks, hear anecdotally of violations which sound to us civilians to be incredibly stupid things to call violations. So, I was just wondering where the line is drawn formally. Of course, it's impossible to regulate these things closely and completely unfair actions will occur: hence my joke about our discussing Mo'ne Davis on this Board. For example, what happens when a formally (in writing) committed player is playing in an invitational with an undeclared player, who congratulates the committed player on her scholarship and the committed player in response gushes about her choice of schools. They're just making conversation, but might not that be a violation? And yet, what 17 year old kid, so excited about where she's going, wouldn't tell the undeclared player why? Impossible to regulate consistently, is all I'm saying. Which is why we get these incredibly stupid things like Geno being slapped for calling Mo'ne Davis. (Even UConn compliance thought it would be okay, and it turned out not to be.) I'm not criticizing what Lexi is doing, just trying to understanding where the so-called line is drawn. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Lexie hasn't formally committed to UConn. Until she signs, as Nan stated earlier, there is no line to be drawn.

CoachBill

Wise Eye
Reaction Score

bags27 - Its all good ! this forum is all about people sharing questions, thoughts , opinions or insight.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
peers are often a prospective recruits greatest resource within the recruiting process.
Occurs to me that in some instances this can be the blind leading the blind. Was it 5 of them who went to Hatchell's program, lead by Diamond Deshields.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
An oral commitment is non-binding; a Letter of Intent is. The recruit isn't bound by any NCAA rules until she signs in the early signing period in November or the regular period in the spring. When she does sign, she becomes a Representative of School Interests (booster).
I forgot to add that if there is a pre-existing relationship from before the signing of the LOI, the restrictions don't apply. For example, if Megan Walker grew up next door to me and I'd known her since she was a kid, I could talk about UConn all I wanted to. However, if she moved next door to me tomorrow, I can't "recruit" her because I've held season's tickets, which makes me a booster. A lot of the elite players have known each other for years and have been friends for a long time. So, Lexi can talk to her friends about becoming a Husky without running afoul of the rules.

Gotta love the NCAA for these clear and concise rules.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I forgot to add that if there is a pre-existing relationship from before the signing of the LOI, the restrictions don't apply. For example, if Megan Walker grew up next door to me and I'd known her since she was a kid, I could talk about UConn all I wanted to. However, if she moved next door to me tomorrow, I can't "recruit" her because I've held season's tickets, which makes me a booster. A lot of the elite players have known each other for years and have been friends for a long time. So, Lexi can talk to her friends about becoming a Husky without running afoul of the rules.

Gotta love the NCAA for these clear and concise rules.
One of the more bizarre points about that booster designation is that it is a life time designation by the NCAA. So let's say Geno did something to tick Nan off and Nan decides to give up her season tickets and start rooting for let's say Rutgers. Nan would still remain a UCONN booster in the eyes of the NCAA.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
One of the more bizarre points about that booster designation is that it is a life time designation by the NCAA. So let's say Geno did something to tick Nan off and Nan decides to give up her season tickets and start rooting for let's say Rutgers. Nan would still remain a UCONN booster in the eyes of the NCAA.

blind-mice-lrg-web.jpg

Reaction Score
But the NCAA knows that Nan and Geno got together and plotted this, so that Nan was really now a secret UConn fan, pretending to root for Rutgers, but really still recruiting for UConn. Once again, the NCAA is way ahead of us!

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Okay, so back to AAU reports. These from the Deep South Classic courtesy of Blue Star.

Samantha Brunelle – 2019 – (Ruckersville,VA) BWSL Richmond 2018 16U: Samantha “Baby Dell” Brunelle is a very skilled 6-2 prototype forward. The nickname is a reference to her idol and WNBA star Ellena Delle Donne. Brunelle played extremely well showing herself to be a low post presence at both ends of the floor. She has a strong interior game with is a nice blend of athleticism and power. Brunelle also showed that she has a smooth face up attack and an effective midrange jumper that extends out to the three point line. The rebounding is there and with the ability to put the ball on the floor she does a great job initiating the fast break. With all the tools and skills and continued advancement she’ll continue to be a top 10 presence in the 2019 class.

Mikayla Coombs – 2017 – (Buford, GA) FBC Mo 2017: Coombs is ultra-athletic 5-11 guard with a smooth mid-range shot and sweet stroke from beyond the arc to help compliment her attacking style. She does a great job of penetrating looking to score or drop dimes to spotting up or slashing teammates. Coombs has very good ball handling skills while going right and left equally well. She uses her long arms and athleticism to be a force on the defensive end creating a great deal of havoc for her opponents. A top 10 prospect…special.

Kaitlyn Gilbert – 2018 – (Indianapolis, IN) Best Choice United 17U: Gilbert was consistently attacking and finishing in traffic as well as dropping dimes to cutting teammates. Gilbert has excellent command of her dribble plus she attacks with either hand equally. At 5-11 she uses her size and great court vision to her advantage dishing out no look passes. Gilbert also has the ability to stroke the jumper be it midrange or out beyond the three point arc. On the other end you can count on lock down defense. Gilbert has an explosive game with big time potential.

Deep South Classic 2016 - Bluestar Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc