Other than spite, why wouldn't the AAC keep UConn football on a reduced payout? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Other than spite, why wouldn't the AAC keep UConn football on a reduced payout?

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I was offline most of the weekend and have been frantically trying to catch up on all the craziness. I am not sure I have seen this yet and if it has been discussed, I apologize. When I first saw this news leaked with nothing from the University and seemingly no plan for football, the first thought I had was that they are doing this as a ploy to more favorably renotiate the AAC contract similarly to the Patriots saying they were moving to CT when they never had any intentions to do so. Has this already been discussed?
The BE presidents voted to add UConn today, so the time to renegotiate the contract is running short.

Reaction Score
...The Huskies went 18-55 since joining the AAC in 2013, including 3-9 in 2017 and 1-11 last season and, according to the source, frustrated representatives from member schools due to a perceived lack of commitment to success on the football field...

This is the first time I’ve seen some complain about our lack of commitment to football (perceived or not) outside the Boneyard and local press. Not surprising, but interesting.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
the first thought I had was that they are doing this as a ploy to more favorably renegotiate the AAC contract
Until the school makes it official, this is my belief. Really hard to imagine the leadership would make this move with no apparent plan for football. I realize the likelihood of this is sooooooooooo minuscule, but it's the only thing that makes any sense. Look at how divided the board is as proof that it's not a clear cut decision to move.

Reaction Score
ESPN can renegotiate the deal. However, Navy's AD and media members have said we mean so little to ESPN that our exclusion would be negligible.

Navy's AD reminds me of Beetroot McKinley in the movie TWINS...

...and David Benedict reminds me of Danny Devito.

Here they are negotiating. LOL

Reaction Score
They hate us as much as we hate them.

I know there some real AAC fanboys here - but 90%+ of the fanbase despises the conference.

I loathe it. I loathe Aresco. I loathe most of the schools and I loathe their fanbases.

Whaler, I think you'll find that not to be the case. Now I have no doubt you loathe all those people and then some.

And that's probably why you feel that hateful gaze is aimed back... But it not.

Maybe you want it to be, but it's simply indifference. Just like Scott Frost's reaction to the rivalry trophy.

I think the conference has been very appreciative of UConn.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Whaler, I think you'll find that not to be the case. Now I have no doubt you loathe all those people and then some.

And that's probably why you feel that hateful gaze is aimed back... But it not.

Maybe you want it to be, but it's simply indifference. Just like Scott Frost's reaction to the rivalry trophy.

I think the conference has been very appreciative of UConn.

The fanbase is estatic with the move. In general we hate the AAC and the AAC seems to hate us.

This could not be simpler.

Listening to what politicians say publically may be the silliest thing I’ve read yet.

Reaction Score
The fanbase is estatic with the move. In general we hate the AAC.

This could not be simpler.

It sounds like you're trying to convince yourself.

lol. AAC teams all now make 7.6 mllion per team/per year from ESPN (before adding in everything else, CFP money, etc).

That's before the other exit fees, etc.

They're probably throwing a party in your honor. You're more likely to be toasted than roasted.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It sounds like you're trying to convince yourself.

lol. AAC teams all now make 7.6 mllion per team/per year from ESPN (before adding in everything else, CFP money, etc).

They're probably throwing a party in your honor. You're more likely to be toasted than roasted.

lol you are so butthurt its hilarious

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Dividing up that share between the rest of the conference is more powerful than spite.
Unless ESPN adjusts it downward, which I've heard they are contractually permitted to do.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Nah, I'm just fascinated by the political machinations that are playing out in the press.

I'm thirsty for the next twist.

the next twist is that uconn is going to have more TV money, not be on the hook to pay for ESPN’s production and not be on +.

But y’all enjoy your 7 million in 2032

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Hasn't UConn been a great member of the AAC? Never really bad-mouthing the conference. Always a professional relationship.

Yes, there were pitches to upgrade to P5.

What exactly has UConn done to receive a spiteful Conference eviction?

Reaction Score
the next twist is that uconn is going to have more TV money, not be on the hook to pay for ESPN’s production and not be on +.

But y’all enjoy your 7 million in 2032

Lol

Attachments

• WeeklyUnitedFawn-size_restricted.gif
    WeeklyUnitedFawn-size_restricted.gif
    162 KB · Views: 10

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Hasn't UConn been a great member of the AAC? Never really bad-mouthing the conference. Always a professional relationship.

had the nerve to not want to have their value syphoned off to tulsa

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

it’s not even going to be close. the next Fox deal will be near the AAC deal and UConn is going to get paid by SNY.

this is simple and obvious even for a memphis state guy

CL82

Reaction Score
I loathe it. I loathe Aresco. I loathe most of the schools and I loathe their fanbases.
I dislike the AAC. I loathe Aresco. I don't care about most of the schools and I am entirely unfamiliar with their fanbases.

CL82

Reaction Score
it’s not even going to be close. the next Fox deal will be near the AAC deal and UConn is going to get paid by SNY.

It would have been close before the addition of UConn. I wonder if it will be more now, without football. Agree re SNY side deals. I wonder about the impact on our Nike and IMG deals but we've just renegotiated them.

Reaction Score

wanting to have all other sorts other than FB leave the conference? A conference is supposed to be for all of the major sports to generate revenue for all members that they would not be able to generate individually. You need to be either in or out.

Reaction Score

Bro, You're bragging about money UConn will get that is going to be consumed in exit fees.

Reaction Score

Time to save this post. It sounds so very familiar.

Reaction Score
Practical reasons? Perhaps lower travel costs (see map), potential increased shared revenue (?), possible dubious conference commitment, recent hoop & football competitiveness ...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Probably the same reason the baksetball only schools split from the football schools.

Reaction Score
Assuming they would miss on Army/BYU/Boise, and the NCAA won't let them have an conference championship game without division/round robin, why wouldn't the AAC want to keep us on a reduced payout?

Without Army/BYU/Boise, there is nobody who brings immediate value and probably nobody with a higher ceiling than UConn, though I guess that's up for some debate. With the Big East deal, plus whatever SNY will give us for T3 games, we would not need much from football to get to the proposed $7m payout from the new AAC TV deal, say a million for simplicity's sake. If we took only a $1m payout, and the remaining $6m was split up across the other 11 teams, would that not be a better solution for the AAC? Essentially UConn pays a ~$500k a year premium to every school in the conference, but we still come out even on it. Rather than giving up a full piece of the pie for a chance at a better program down the line, give up ~1/7 of the piece for a program that has reached the heights of the sport and has history in the conference.

Because each of the AAC teams will make more money under the TV deal without UConn (1 less mouth to feed). UConn was a very valuable BB member. FB - not so much. The travel costs are significant with very little payoffs. Most AAC teams would do better financially by scheduling an OOC game against a local CUSA team (Rice, UNT, UTSA, UAB, Marshall, etc).

Plus - the AAC is tied into ESPN. UConn is now a Fox property. Unless ESPN tells the AAC to keep UConn (unlikely), the AAC will probably stay at 11 just like the Big 12 stayed at 10.

If the AAC expands, look for them to target Colorado State, Army, or BYU (scheduling agreement)

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Bro, You're bragging about money UConn will get that is going to be consumed in exit fees.

shouldnt you be haunting a temple message board by now.

it’s an opposite constanza.

we are breaking up with you - because of you. it’s you.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom