Other than spite, why wouldn't the AAC keep UConn football on a reduced payout? | The Boneyard

Other than spite, why wouldn't the AAC keep UConn football on a reduced payout?

Reaction Score
Assuming they would miss on Army/BYU/Boise, and the NCAA won't let them have an conference championship game without division/round robin, why wouldn't the AAC want to keep us on a reduced payout?

Without Army/BYU/Boise, there is nobody who brings immediate value and probably nobody with a higher ceiling than UConn, though I guess that's up for some debate. With the Big East deal, plus whatever SNY will give us for T3 games, we would not need much from football to get to the proposed $7m payout from the new AAC TV deal, say a million for simplicity's sake. If we took only a $1m payout, and the remaining $6m was split up across the other 11 teams, would that not be a better solution for the AAC? Essentially UConn pays a ~$500k a year premium to every school in the conference, but we still come out even on it. Rather than giving up a full piece of the pie for a chance at a better program down the line, give up ~1/7 of the piece for a program that has reached the heights of the sport and has history in the conference.

Reaction Score
Or alternatively, once you establish the precedent, the floodgates open.
Your average AAC fan on twitter might argue that wouldn't happen because of how good everyone else is at both sports and how badly they want to be in the conference

Reaction Score
Assuming they would miss on Army/BYU/Boise, and the NCAA won't let them have an conference championship game without division/round robin, why wouldn't the AAC want to keep us on a reduced payout?

Without Army/BYU/Boise, there is nobody who brings immediate value and probably nobody with a higher ceiling than UConn, though I guess that's up for some debate. With the Big East deal, plus whatever SNY will give us for T3 games, we would not need much from football to get to the proposed $7m payout from the new AAC TV deal, say a million for simplicity's sake. If we took only a $1m payout, and the remaining $6m was split up across the other 11 teams, would that not be a better solution for the AAC? Essentially UConn pays a ~$500k a year premium to every school in the conference, but we still come out even on it. Rather than giving up a full piece of the pie for a chance at a better program down the line, give up ~1/7 of the piece for a program that has reached the heights of the sport and has history in the conference.

They don’t need us. They can get a waiver. Having a la carte conferences dilutes the brand.

The football team is replaceable.

Reaction Score
Don't underestimate spite as a powerful motivation.

Spite and greed is a powerful combo...

Chris Vannini @ChrisVannini 7 hours ago
Navy AD Chet Gladchuk to The Athletic on the AAC potentially replacing UConn down the road: "I don’t think we bring in anybody that doesn’t add value. That’ll be my vote. I don’t think we fill to fill. I have no interest in that."

Navy AD Chet Gladchuk doesn't believe UConn's impending departure will significantly affect the AAC TV deal. "The ratio of interest by ESPN on the AAC, it was overwhelming in football. … I don’t think losing UConn is going to affect us to any degree of any significance.”

Whether or not the AAC replaces UConn also ties into the TV deal. Navy AD Gladchuk: "It means there’s one less distribution to make. It means we get a little more of the revenue sharing. Anyone that comes in has got to be a plus rather than a fiscal detriment.”

Navy AD Gladchuk on UConn: "They were a good partner. I enjoyed the relationship with them, but if they think the grass is greener, they need to go grace in that direction. We want people affiliated with the conference that want to be there."

Reaction Score
Spite and greed is a powerful combo...

Navy AD Chet Gladchuk to The Athletic on the AAC potentially replacing UConn down the road: "I don’t think we bring in anybody that doesn’t add value. That’ll be my vote. I don’t think we fill to fill. I have no interest in that."

Navy AD Chet Gladchuk doesn't believe UConn's impending departure will significantly affect the AAC TV deal. "The ratio of interest by ESPN on the AAC, it was overwhelming in football. … I don’t think losing UConn is going to affect us to any degree of any significance.”

Whether or not the AAC replaces UConn also ties into the TV deal. Navy AD Gladchuk: "It means there’s one less distribution to make. It means we get a little more of the revenue sharing. Anyone that comes in has got to be a plus rather than a fiscal detriment.”

Navy AD Gladchuk on UConn: "They were a good partner. I enjoyed the relationship with them, but if they think the grass is greener, they need to go grace in that direction. We want people affiliated with the conference that want to be there."
I agree they'll stay at 11 if they can have a conference championship game. That will be the NCAA's call as to if they can do it without divisions. If they can't, I don't think a 10 game conference schedule is reasonable. We've already seen the P5 hold out the AAC for lack of SOS. If they can only play 2 OOC games there's no chance to ever getting the SOS "necessary" for a shot. Plus, Navy needs room to schedule Army, Air Force, and Notre Dame. Forcing 10 conference games would back them into a corner they might not want to be in.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
They hate us as much as we hate them.

I know there some real AAC fanboys here - but 90%+ of the fanbase despises the conference.

I loathe it. I loathe Aresco. I loathe most of the schools and I loathe their fanbases.

Reaction Score
Does ESPN renegotiate the deal if they drop a team...do hey even pay out the full amount if they’re not a full 12 teams? And is ESPN pissed if UConn leaves...they are the most desirable basketball audience

Reaction Score
Does ESPN renegotiate the deal if they drop a team...do hey even pay out the full amount if they’re not a full 12 teams? And is ESPN pissed if UConn leaves...they are the most desirable basketball audience
ESPN can renegotiate the deal. However, Navy's AD and media members have said we mean so little to ESPN that our exclusion would be negligible.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
ESPN can renegotiate the deal. However, Navy's AD and media members have said we mean so little to ESPN that our exclusion would be negligible.

Well yeah - that’s just a day 1 negotitating tactic.

I don’t know what the damage will be to the contract but they clearly were going to make UConn MBB/WBB a major property on +.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Gladchuck is a football only member. What is he supposed to say? Agree with Whaler - time to negotiate.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I believe the 12 member requirement to have a conference championship game rule has been waived, so they can go ahead with that if ESPN still wants it.

Reaction Score
I believe the 12 member requirement to have a conference championship game rule has been waived, so they can go ahead with that if ESPN still wants it.
Need to have divisions or do full round robin to have a conference championship game barring exceptions. They either need to add to get an even number or play 10 conference games, which is a ton for anyone but especially Navy.

Reaction Score
The contract is driven by FB. And since Uconn never won the AAC and has missed the tournament for several years, I think it is not the most valuable BB product in the conference. It has the most championships but it’s value today is not above half of the conference.

The deal will be reduced by whatever Uconn’s Share would be.

Reaction Score
View from Cincy: American Athletic Conference unlikely to replace UConn in football

>>And that’s OK, according to the source who said the AAC doesn’t need 12 teams in football due to overall numbers not carrying as much importance as it did when the league added East Carolina, Tulane and Tulsa in 2014 (Wichita State joined as a non-football member in 2017) in response to losing former member schools Louisville and Rutgers.

Though Tulane had a winning record last season, the newest members haven’t helped the league much in football, but in that regard, UConn leaving does the conference a favor. The Huskies went 18-55 since joining the AAC in 2013, including 3-9 in 2017 and 1-11 last season and, according to the source, frustrated representatives from member schools due to a perceived lack of commitment to success on the football field.

With 11 teams, the AAC could ditch divisions and instead pit the two teams with the highest national ranking at regular season's end in the conference championship game. That, the source said, would help raise the league’s profile and better position for a college football playoff spot and/or prestigious bowl bids.<<

Reaction Score
View from Cincy: American Athletic Conference unlikely to replace UConn in football

>>And that’s OK, according to the source who said the AAC doesn’t need 12 teams in football due to overall numbers not carrying as much importance as it did when the league added East Carolina, Tulane and Tulsa in 2014 (Wichita State joined as a non-football member in 2017) in response to losing former member schools Louisville and Rutgers.

Though Tulane had a winning record last season, the newest members haven’t helped the league much in football, but in that regard, UConn leaving does the conference a favor. The Huskies went 18-55 since joining the AAC in 2013, including 3-9 in 2017 and 1-11 last season and, according to the source, frustrated representatives from member schools due to a perceived lack of commitment to success on the football field.

With 11 teams, the AAC could ditch divisions and instead pit the two teams with the highest national ranking at regular season's end in the conference championship game. That, the source said, would help raise the league’s profile and better position for a college football playoff spot and/or prestigious bowl bids.<<
Well there goes the remain in AAC dream, that said I do feel incredibly vindicated over our value.

Reaction Score

Spite and a bad couple of years.

Reaction Score
I was offline most of the weekend and have been frantically trying to catch up on all the craziness. I am not sure I have seen this yet and if it has been discussed, I apologize. When I first saw this news leaked with nothing from the University and seemingly no plan for football, the first thought I had was that they are doing this as a ploy to more favorably renotiate the AAC contract similarly to the Patriots saying they were moving to CT when they never had any intentions to do so. Has this already been discussed?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom