Other games, Dec. 9-15 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Other games, Dec. 9-15

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
So NCA&T next 3 games will be interesting @Akron @Clemson @ VCU before conference play starts. If they can sweep these 3.... perhaps they could rise above being a 16th seed. if they make the tourney.
Some lofty aspirations for Your Aggies there :)

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
77-42 Arizona final. Announced attendance just under 3900, that's solid for such a throw away game. There was speculation about whether their huge attendance numbers during their run thru the WNIT would carry over, this seems like a good sign.

(hmm, looks like they are averaging about 4800 prior to tonight's game; that should put them near the top in the Pac 12 w/ the Oregon schools).

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Some lofty aspirations for Your Aggies there :)

I'd be shocked if they dont win the MEAC regular season... but as you know.. in those 1 bid leagues.. the tournament is filled with so much pressure. They went 16-0 last year..... but they are more talented this season.

Plebe

Reaction Score
I'd be shocked if they dont win the MEAC regular season... but as you know.. in those 1 bid leagues.. the tournament is filled with so much pressure. They went 16-0 last year..... but they are more talented this season.
I had to look it up to remind myself what happened. They lost in the MEAC semis to Norfolk State. No doubt they are head and shoulders ahead of the rest of the league by the numbers. Top 100 in RPI and top 150 in Massey, and no one else in the MEAC is even close to them.

Too bad they didn't get that win over Miami. Maybe they could've been the first MEAC at-large team.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I had to look it up to remind myself what happened. They lost in the MEAC semis to Norfolk State. No doubt they are head and shoulders ahead of the rest of the league by the numbers. Top 100 in RPI and top 150 in Massey, and no one else in the MEAC is even close to them.

Too bad they didn't get that win over Miami. Maybe they could've been the first MEAC at-large team.

One thing that they have that others in the MEAC don't (well not totally sure) but they have 4 transfers from bigger schools. Their 2 leading scorers are transfers from Seton Hall and Alabama... and they have a reserve guard and reserve Post from unc.cheat and Seton Hall. The guard from bama played last year, but the other three are playing this year as aggies for the first time. Depending on the next 3 games.... they have the chance to break their records for most wins in a season.

Reaction Score
77-42 Arizona final. Announced attendance just under 3900, that's solid for such a throw away game. There was speculation about whether their huge attendance numbers during their run thru the WNIT would carry over, this seems like a good sign.

(hmm, looks like they are averaging about 4800 prior to tonight's game; that should put them near the top in the Pac 12 w/ the Oregon schools).
I believe that Oregon's average home attendance is going to be north of 8k this season. Will likely sell out the Oregon State game again in Eugene. I remember an Oregon press release stating a record number of season tickets sold for this season. 6k had been sold as of July. Oregon State average WBB attendance will likely come in between 5,500 and 6k if history repeats itself.

Very happy to see the Arizona WBB program being supported once again. Barnes deserves plenty of kudos, regardless of her nonconference scheduling.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don't know about compared to last year. McDonald, Reese, McBryde and Thomas are the heart of the roster both seasons. I think Carter for Starks is a downgrade. I do like the look of Pueyo and some of the other Fr. have shown some potential.
McBryde remains out with an injury. Thomas was ineffective tonight. It is the freshmen and developing sophomores who appear to give Arizona the look of a team with more depth than in previous seasons. And Reese is playing with more confidence and is asserting herself with increasing frequency in the nonconference season.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
It is the freshmen and developing sophomores who appear to give Arizona the look of a team with more depth than in previous seasons. And Reese is playing with more confidence and is asserting herself with increasing frequency in the nonconference season.

Semaj Smith wasn't much of a factor last year but she gives them some real size and she looked like a solid low post presence in a couple of the games I've watched.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Tennessee State is a truly awful team. 0-6 against D-I teams so far this year. Lost by 50 to Vanderbilt.

Barnes has gotta upgrade this schedule. Not fitting of a top 20 team at all.
Adia has said that next year's schedule will be better (although I have a feeling it still won't be overly challenging, probably closer to average than strong). She has also indicated that a lot of the teams on this years schedule were arranged early, before last season's late success. There have been some advantages to the weak schedule, including the opportunity tonight to play everyone available except Mote, who was dressed but is still technically day to day with the ankle. McBride was rolling around on a leg cart and boot.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I don't know about compared to last year. McDonald, Reese, McBryde and Thomas are the heart of the roster both seasons. I think Carter for Starks is a downgrade. I do like the look of Pueyo and some of the other Fr. have shown some potential.
I was hoping we would see Starks play, but she hasn't dressed. She did return to the team for the season and makes the high five circuit at the end of each game (along with the transfer sitting out) but isn't dressed. She was going to retire due to her issues (knee, IIRC) but decided to come back and hoped to contribute, but . . .

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score

The high average is due to the "kid's game", home attendance otherwise has ranged from 3400 to 4400. Which is very nice indeed.

I think I heard around 4000 season tix sold, this is a huge improvement over the 1000 ish in previous years.

Reaction Score
37-18 Arizona now at the end of the first half. While tonight's opposition is not strong, Arizona's defensive commitment is much improved this season. Overall talent level for the Wildcats is also noticeably better than in the past two seasons.

If McDonald is on during conference games in Tucson, look for Arizona to make life uncomfortable for the four PAC-12 teams currently ranked above them. Aari with 9 points and 9 boards so far in the first half. Her quickness allows her to rebound surprisingly well for a 5'6' point guard.
I agree completely. Although McDonald had seven turnovers in this game her quickness and court sense are readily apparent. Barnes has also successfully found a way to motivate this team to play solid defense.

There's no doubt in my mind that the Wildcats will upset one if not two of the top four teams in conference play. They have a tremendous fan base in Tucson and as you recall drew a full house for their WNIT final victory last season. The Wildcats will be traveling up interstate 10 on the 29th to play the Sun Devils in what will be a outstanding gauge of how each team's going to do in conference this year.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Hhhm

Maybe ESPN should not abbreviate. ;)

1576256630789.png

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
It took me several minutes to figure this one out. At first, I thought the issue was "UNC Greens"...then I saw the Arizona score!

When I saw it, I first thought I was in the twilight zone. If I am TN, I would look into legal action. ;)

Plebe

Reaction Score
Quite the exciting finish in Bangor, Maine.

Green Bay (playing without its best player, Caitlyn Hibner) led by 8 with 2:15 to play, and then Maine went on a 9-0 run thanks to a couple GB turnovers, 6 out of 6 free throws and a 3-pointer.

GB hit two FTs to retake a 1-point lead with 5.5 seconds left. Maine, with no timeouts left, then did this:

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
Quite the exciting finish in Bangor, Maine.

Green Bay (playing without its best player, Caitlyn Hibner) led by 8 with 2:15 to play, and then Maine went on a 9-0 run thanks to a couple GB turnovers, 6 out of 6 free throws and a 3-pointer.

GB hit two FTs to retake a 1-point lead with 5.5 seconds left. Maine, with no timeouts left, then did this:

Excellent! And a big boost to NC State's SOS. The teams we have played so far have been winning here of late.

Plebe

Reaction Score
A couple of mildly surprising developments:

Wichita State leads Creighton 25-19 at the half. The Shockers finished 2Q on a 12-1 run to take the lead. The AAC has overall had a disappointing OOC, but Wichita State looks much improved over last year.

Utah is locked in a close game with Nevada, trailing 49-47 after 3Q. Point guard Dru Gylten is out this game, but Daneesha Provo is playing in her first game since tearing her ACL in January.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Daneesha Provo is playing in her first game since tearing her ACL in January.

I was wondering when she would return, glad to hear she's back.

Plebe

Reaction Score
The Kangaroos of UMKC, fresh of their win over Missouri, had Kansas State on the ropes, up by 6 with less than 6:00 to play, but fell apart in crunch time. K-State closed on a 13-0 run. Angela Harris, the grad transfer from Houston, carried the day with 22 points, including a dagger deep 3 in the final minute.

1576356546972.png

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Is that link working for anyone? Not loading for me.

Ionescu is on fire today apparently. Well, the whole team is for that matter.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom