Other American Bowl Games (Every Game But UConn) | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Other American Bowl Games (Every Game But UConn)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Houston is a very good team. We caught them at exactly the right time. Happy to see that the 1 loss is one that we handed them.
You sponsored a thumbs down from the upper deck right in front of their tunnel. The players sure noticed. Some coaches had huge smiles.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
The way UConn plays against teams that are at full strength does not yield the same result when teams are missing a key component.....QB Ward.

UConn without Shirreffs is not equivalent to Houston without Ward.

What do you expect the commentators to say? UConn is one of the worse offenses in FBS.

Ward + Houston = win over UConn.
Ward played in the UConn-Houston game. He was 1-4 with an interception.

Game stats

Reaction Score
That was a great TD drive at a crucial time. Houston has FSU right where they want them. Need to finish now.

Reaction Score
Can't blame him for wanting to play, but I don't think he can put enough weight on that left ankle to deliver a strong enough ball any more. The interception was 10 yards under thrown.

The FSU QB has had some nice throws in the 4th quarter. Turning into a barnburner. 31-24 Houston. Now 4 minutes left. Ward down again.

Reaction Score
the only team to beat Houston this year was UConn. It was great to hear after the last Houston score.

Reaction Score
Nah, not happy. Anything that bolsters a school we're competing against for a P5 conference slot I'm completely against.

Reaction Score
Finally our conference gets a great win. Houston is the real deal. Hard to believe we beat them. Something for our program to build on!!!

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Our secondary played out of their mind for the Houston game. But if Ward had practiced as the #1, was more mobile and started, I think the game is played differently offensively for Houston. I'd be happy with Postma as our QB and he had his moments in relief all season, but he's not Ward.

That said, way to go Cougs. Only team to score >24 vs. FSU.

Reaction Score
Nah, not happy. Anything that bolsters a school we're competing against for a P5 conference slot I'm completely against.

While I don't think we will ever get an invite to the Big 12, we will get one before Houston does. They are stuck between a rock and a hard place.

I think their only hope is for the Big 12 to implode and then they fill some holes.

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score
Big congratulations to the Cougs. The announcers were right on the money about how Tom Herman out-coached FSU by focusing his offensive game plan around key personnel match-ups, and by staying aggressive. I think we'll have a nice mix of play-makers in 2016 and I look forward to seeing them get the ball more, especially the TEs and WRs. We absolutely need an offensive scheme that enables us to score an average of 31pts/game or more to move our program to the next level.

Reaction Score
Big congratulations to the Cougs. The announcers were right on the money about how Tom Herman out-coached FSU by focusing his offensive game plan around key personnel match-ups, and by staying aggressive. I think we'll have a nice mix of play-makers in 2016 and I look forward to seeing them get the ball more, especially the TEs and WRs. We absolutely need an offensive scheme that enables us to score an average of 31pts/game or more to move our program to the next level.

We will never focus on the offensive game plan around key personnel match ups, and be aggressive. We will do what we do. We will depend on a bend but don't break defense and hope to take advantage of opportunities.

Nice game plan by Houston and by our old DC.

Reaction Score
Postma isn't Ward but he isn't chipped liver. He worked miracles against Memphis. Ward was killing them and Postma saved the day. At that point people thought a QB controversy could be brewing.

The thing about our guys is we play top notch defense. It is hard for people to get their head around what our D is capable of. I can't blame them because most people would never think a team with a top 10 defense could have a bottom 10 offense.

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score
We will never focus on the offensive game plan around key personnel match ups, and be aggressive. We will do what we do. We will depend on a bend but don't break defense and hope to take advantage of opportunities.

Well, this ^ ought to help keep the thread alive anyway. ;)

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Caught the end of the game. That 60 yd run by Postma against the blitz, specifically how the OL/RB picked it up should be required viewing this offseason for the Huskies.

Reaction Score
Ward played in the UConn-Houston game. He was 1-4 with an interception.

Game stats
Ward was playing injured - as was Postma. They tried to piece together a game between two injured QBs, and it didn't work. A healthy Ward is clearly a game changer, and Postma doesn't suck either, when healthy. However, equating Houston without Ward to UConn without Shirreffs is ridiculous. Replacing an outstanding game-changing dual threat QB with an injured, albeit very good backup QB was going to have huge impact on Houston's explosive offense. Replacing a mediocre, game-managing QB with a less-than-mediocre game-managing QB didn't really change what UConn was going to do with it's vanilla-style offense.

Reaction Score
Ward was playing injured - as was Postma. They tried to piece together a game between two injured QBs, and it didn't work. A healthy Ward is clearly a game changer, and Postma doesn't suck either, when healthy. However, equating Houston without Ward to UConn without Shirreffs is ridiculous. Replacing an outstanding game-changing dual threat QB with an injured, albeit very good backup QB was going to have huge impact on Houston's explosive offense. Replacing a mediocre, game-managing QB with a less-than-mediocre game-managing QB didn't really change what UConn was going to do with it's vanilla-style offense.
We still won. Your analysis makes our win look even better. Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom