OT: Yard Goats Proving Hartford Can Have Nice Things | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Yard Goats Proving Hartford Can Have Nice Things

Reaction Score
they should build an outdoor skate rink next to the stadium and have the wolfpack play games on it in the winter
Sarcasm? Why wouldn't they put a rink on the field at DD park and play a game or two in the park where there are bathrooms and concessions?

Reaction Score
OhNo! They call it DoNo?!

I’ve never heard anyone actually say DoNo but I guess that is how it’s being branded. It’s too close to DoNot, as in DoNot come here. Why not just call it Downtown North?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I love how "gentrification" is a dirty word. We've been through that process in a local city near me. Started with upscale housing, which in turn brought in restaurants, bars, etc. Now a once tired city has a thriving nightlife. Where it use to be starting to get sketchy at night you see couples, groups walking.

I've been fan of the stadium concept form the start. They just need to follow through and do the rest of the development.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
They just need to follow through and do the rest of the development.

Just as a reminder, development of the area is stalled because the original developers were crooks.

Reaction Score
Just as a reminder, development of the area is stalled because the original developers were crooks.
And weren't they the developer selected by the city in a "no-bid" process?

Reaction Score
I love how "gentrification" is a dirty word. We've been through that process in a local city near me. Started with upscale housing, which in turn brought in restaurants, bars, etc. Now a once tired city has a thriving nightlife. Where it use to be starting to get sketchy at night you see couples, groups walking.

Well, inevitably many residents of the neighborhood will be priced out. So from their perspective, it is a dirty word.

Reaction Score
Downtown North used to be abandoned buildings and vacant lots. What residents are priced out?
His statement appeared to be a general statement on gentrification (as evidenced by the fact he referenced a city near him) and wasn't specific to Hartford, so that's the context in which I responded.

I'll admit, gentrification as it relates to Downtown North "residents" would appear to be minimal (if any at all). However, there is still the potential for the store owners on Main street to the north of the ball park to be priced out and that is a concern referenced in the article, and still relates to "gentrification".

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
His statement appeared to be a general statement on gentrification (as evidenced by the fact he referenced a city near him) and wasn't specific to Hartford, so that's the context in which I responded.

I'll admit, gentrification as it relates to Downtown North "residents" would appear to be minimal (if any at all). However, there is still the potential for the store owners on Main street to the north of the ball park to be priced out and that is a concern referenced in the article, and still relates to "gentrification".

His statement appeared to be a commentary on how "gentrification" is used by Jenna Carlesso within the context of the article. It was 100% specific to Hartford.

“If you are building this, that and the other, I think there is a perception among people in the community that there is a wall shutting them out,” said Tina Franklin, who lives in Hartford’s Parkville neighborhood. “The idea that folks in the community have an aversion to ‘new and shiny’ is erroneous. We want new and shiny … but we want to be a part of it.”

The dictionary definition of Gentrification is "the process of renovating and improving a house or district so that it conforms to middle-class taste."

I don't know where the Parkville neighborhood is (presumably nearby). Poor job by Carlesso for not giving points of reference. Be that as it may, this particular residents wants her cake and eat it too, which is not urban improvement. It's glorified publicly subsidized housing. More of the same and why Hartford is in the condition it is.

Reaction Score
I don't know where the Parkville neighborhood is (presumably nearby)...

It's not really... it's closer to West Hartford/end of Capital Ave than the area being reference around the stadium.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
It's not really... it's closer to West Hartford/end of Capital Ave than the area being reference around the stadium.
In that case, I can't see her qualms.

CL82

Reaction Score

The city that I referenced took redeveloped a block sized outdated department store and turned into smaller retail and restaurants with apartments above. No one was displaced, and it was a first step in keeping/bringing people downtown at night which in turn dramatically reduced crime rate. Kind of a classic "gentrification" development in the sense that I am familiar with the term. Associating it with the displacement of lower income families is an assumption that often is wrong.

From my perspective, for our cities to safe and productive we need to make them attractive to people. Pretty much everyone benefits from the rising tide when it is done well.

Reaction Score
All those quotes are not Deepster. They were more than enough naysayers to get many more quotes.

BTW, the new developer is RMS out of Stamford. This is there "concept" for the north end.

View attachment 34162

For this project, there couldn't be a better developer then RMS.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If only Hartford had a gentrification problem. LOLOLOLOL

Gentrification > bailout by state

Reaction Score
The city that I referenced took redeveloped a block sized outdated department store and turned into smaller retail and restaurants with apartments above. No one was displaced, and it was a first step in keeping/bringing people downtown at night which in turn dramatically reduced crime rate. Kind of a classic "gentrification" development in the sense that I am familiar with the term. Associating it with the displacement of lower income families is an assumption that often is wrong.

From my perspective, for our cities to safe and productive we need to make them attractive to people. Pretty much everyone benefits from the rising tide when it is done well.
Gag order on the city you aren't citing?

Reaction Score
His statement appeared to be a commentary on how "gentrification" is used by Jenna Carlesso within the context of the article. It was 100% specific to Hartford.

The dictionary definition of Gentrification is "the process of renovating and improving a house or district so that it conforms to middle-class taste."

I don't know where the Parkville neighborhood is (presumably nearby). Poor job by Carlesso for not giving points of reference. Be that as it may, this particular residents wants her cake and eat it too, which is not urban improvement. It's glorified publicly subsidized housing. More of the same and why Hartford is in the condition it is.

Whatever, enjoy arguing with yourself. Pretend like gentrification never means poor people are displaced. Don’t care.

Reaction Score

My point is that it does happen. I shouldn’t have used the word “inevitably”. But to people who are displaced, gentrification is certainly a dirty word. That doesn’t mean we shouldn’t gentrify neighborhoods where possible. I never said that. But as much as it’s wrong to assume that it always means poor people are displaced it’s equally wrong to argue that poor people are never displaced.

https://nypost.com/2017/11/06/hipsters-are-driving-low-income-hispanics-out-of-brooklyn/

Brooklyn Is Booming. So Why Is Population Shrinking? - CityLab

CL82

Reaction Score
Whatever, enjoy arguing with yourself. Pretend like gentrification never means poor people are displaced. Don’t care.
Uh that's the rule? If something can ever it happen it means it always happens?

Interesting.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom