OT: Yard Goats Proving Hartford Can Have Nice Things | The Boneyard

OT: Yard Goats Proving Hartford Can Have Nice Things

Reaction Score
Can someone fill me in on the origin of the name yard goats? This team came into being after I left CT and this name has always puzzled me.

Reaction Score
IDunkin Donuts Park is tremendous and a recent article in Courant saying that a development company will be proposing 800 residential condo units plus 60,000 sq ft retail and restaurants for the land around the park. This has to happen I hope, just build around the gem of a park. If this actually happens it changes Hartford big time in that area. When you consider the area around the Infinity theater being so nice it would be great for the city.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Thankyou Husky medic. Interesting story. Hartford was, believe it or not, a charter member of the National league. Hartford Blues, played in the 1880’s I believe. So there is actually a major league history in Hartford as well.

Morgan Bulkeley founded the Dark Blues was President of the National League, Preisdent of Aetna, a US Senator and Gov of Ct.

Reaction Score
IDunkin Donuts Park is tremendous and a recent article in Courant saying that a development company will be proposing 800 residential condo units plus 60,000 sq ft retail and restaurants for the land around the park. This has to happen I hope, just build around the gem of a park. If this actually happens it changes Hartford big time in that area. When you consider the area around the Infinity theater being so nice it would be great for the city.

Which is cool but the park is in use for what? 4-5 months out of the year?

Reaction Score
Which is cool but the park is in use for what? 4-5 months out of the year?
Gets used in September and October too, so more like 7 months. November through March, theoretically, the civic center would be busiest with concerts, UConn, Wolfpack, monster jam, etc.

They get about as much use out of the stadium as they can. They’ve got a par 3 event not shown on this calendar. Dunkin’ Donuts Park

And I think they had over 40 sellouts this year (with “nothing” around the stadium). The sooner they can build up the area the better

Reaction Score
Gets used in September and October too, so more like 7 months. November through March, theoretically, the civic center would be busiest with concerts, UConn, Wolfpack, monster jam, etc.

They get about as much use out of the stadium as they can. They’ve got a par 3 event not shown on this calendar. Dunkin’ Donuts Park

And I think they had over 40 sellouts this year (with “nothing” around the stadium). The sooner they can build up the area the better

What are the plans for building that area up? Anything concrete yet?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Two seasons and still nobody has been shot attending a game. I’d call that a success.
That the thing though. In Hartford, even if they can't get a clean shot off, they still might WingU.

Reaction Score
Where are the geniuses who that thought no one would ever go to Hartford to see a ball game? Raise your hands. Seems like as good a time s any to bring out these golden oldies. Remember....

-Steal the team from a neighbor who has successfully hosted it for years, stupid team name, stadium project is a mess...nice job all around.

-How many people going to and from Yard Goats games do you predict will be raped or murdered in the 1st year?

-This should be the real fear -- not that the park opens late or is in a "bad" section, but that all of the incompetence of the team leads to loss of affiliation.

-I'm guessing below the league average with 3,900 a game or 273,000 for 70 games. You know....if they actually open at all.

Reaction Score
Besides Deepster? I can't remember.
All those quotes are not Deepster. They were more than enough naysayers to get many more quotes.

BTW, the new developer is RMS out of Stamford. This is there "concept" for the north end.

dono_rendering.jpg

Reaction Score
Good for them. I have no anti Hartford bias at all. But factually haven't been there for anything that wasn't UConn sports or music related in a long time. But that does mean I'm there 15 times a year or so. Just that from down in lower Ffld I can be in NYC in the same hour using mass transit. Kind of no brainer.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
The grocery store would be huge. Good to see there are no plans for office space. The last thing Hartford needs is more vacant Class A office space.

Reaction Score
I think it would be great if that plan came to fruition.
I also think it's a travesty that we won't see that vision complete until ~9 years after they broke ground on the park.
Hartford screws up so many things it's depressing. Nobody will claim that this has been handled correctly from the beginning.

But the park is a huge success, and we can wring our hands about what's done, we can complain about how much Hartford sucks, or we can support the project and the people trying to revitalize our capital city.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom