OT: US women's soccer star Megan Rapinoe refuses to stand for the national anthem | Page 8 | The Boneyard

OT: US women's soccer star Megan Rapinoe refuses to stand for the national anthem

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Kib - I agree that it may be the only way to stop the kneeling protest, but I still have a hard time understanding why people can't just accept what is to me a very 'respectful' kind of protest.
Well again, it IS disrespectful. That's the point. Their purpose in kneeling is to show disrespect for the flag/anthem. Not really an IMO thing, it is what it is.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
It's interesting that this writer considers the protest disrespectful.
It IS disrespectful. Not an IMO thing. It is what it is. A form of disrespect. That's how they are making their point.

But he offers no alternative form of protest that he would consider acceptable.
Doesn't have any reason to. Not his job. However, there are plenty of non-disrespectful way to make their point. She could march in protest marches, she could give her salary to organizations, should could NOT play for/represent the country she seems to hold in contempt. (Actually it's pretty hypocritical disrespect the flag/anthem, yet still play for the country.) Not accept her salary for playing for club or country (money comes from the same place).

QUOTE="Fairfield Fan, post: 1809710, member: 6911"] The point seems to be that Black people, including Tina Charles, Swin Cash, and virtually the entire WNBA players union members, should just shut up about the discrimination going on to other Blacks, and do what they're told.
[/QUOTE]
Not the point at all. Has nothing to do with that. Has to do with disrespecting the flag/anthem. That's all. They can talk all they want about discrimination.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I commented on this spreading phenomenon earlier. I am concerned that it will arouse so much controversy that the recourse may be to dispense with pre-game playing of the National Anthem.

That would be an unfortunate solution but perhaps the only way to cool the developing ardor on both sides of this increasingly contentious issue.

I hope I am mistaken.
I would have no problem dispensing with the National Anthem. Don't really see any use for it, except in games that involve National Teams. Then for the patriotic reasons, it makes sense. But Central High School vs Martin Luther King Jr High School??? No reason.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Can't help if my views trouble you. If so, don't respond.

Your views don't trouble me at all. You misquoted me in a manner that totally distorted my views, then berated me for not telling protesters how to disseminate their message. You were wrong on both counts and I'll respond if I please -- subject, of course, to approval of moderators.

Reaction Score
Interesting situation coming for Megan with an NT friendly. I fully support her kneeling on her club team, but when playing for the NT I think it is similar to 'being in the army' in that your are subject to a different code of behavior.
Are you that certain --that a member of the Military would not get away with it? A while back in USA history I'd be certain you were correct--NOW?? Who know? I suppose the only way to find out is for someone to try it---then I believe the politico would step in.

Reaction Score
I would have no problem dispensing with the National Anthem. Don't really see any use for it, except in games that involve National Teams. Then for the patriotic reasons, it makes sense. But Central High School vs Martin Luther King Jr High School??? No reason.
This comes and goes--in times of war or national security--the Leaders get very patriotic --in Peace years (can't remember many) the country tend to fall away from the military and all that means. In pre or post war times --McArthur would not have gotten away with firing on the Bonus protestors in DC in 1932 ( plus or minus a year or 2)
except for the Cold War and prior it was atypical in history for the population to lose their love of the military /Vets and congress to cut appropriations deeply.
If you get right down to it---why do we need to spend billions on a Military that never fights in this country only in some far away place we hardly ever knew existed until we sent men to fight there. Are they really fighting or are these just old videos?? We could save billions and maybe thousands of military lives if they never left our shores.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
What interests me is this anger, because it is so prevalent now in this country - everyone seems so concerned about everyone else's activity when it in no way impacts their own.
I can't take pleasure in standing for the national anthem because someone else is quietly kneeling.
My marriage is made meaningless because same sex couples are allowed to be married.
My reproductive life is changed because someone else can use family planning.
My earning power will be disadvantaged because equal pay is guaranteed for equal work.

And the anger that gets stoked is to my mind so out of proportion.

The problem I have with the Kneeling is that --I don't REALLY know why they are protesting---if they wore signs or spoke to the media and voiced their concerns loudly--at this point I must ASSUME --it's about the apparent disproportionate selection of Black men being targeted and shot by the police-- This at this time is ONLY MY assumption.
I like protests---when they actually PROTEST-- then I can take a side maybe.

Reaction Score
I'm a 70 year old white man who couldn't care less about any of the anthem protests to date. I'm old enough to have seen much more intense social actions, and I have sympathy for their cause. I've also never been a fan of anthems at sporting events.

I would argue, however, that employees don't have any right to use their workplace, filled primarily with unwilling hostage fans in this case, for personal political purposes. They have numerous other avenues - sit out games and forego their pay, assemble as a group after the game and meet the press, pretty much say and do anything they wish outside the work environment.
Well said. line001 you have my vote.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
The problem I have with the Kneeling is that --I don't REALLY know why they are protesting---if they wore signs or spoke to the media and voiced their concerns loudly--at this point I must ASSUME --it's about the apparent disproportionate selection of Black men being targeted and shot by the police-- This at this time is ONLY MY assumption.
I like protests---when they actually PROTEST-- then I can take a side maybe.
is that not enough?

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
is that not enough?
The problem with protests is everyone seems to want it to be the way they want it. That is not the purpose of a protest. "Protest this way or like that so that I know when or how to successfully ignore it". Protests are meant to be uncomfortable and the form of the protest isn't up to a plurality.

Reaction Score
If you get right down to it---why do we need to spend billions on a Military that never fights in this country only in some far away place we hardly ever knew existed until we sent men to fight there.

Broadway, you do not want to see the day when our military is fighting here in the US. I personally prefer all our battles to be as far away as possible.

Reaction Score
Broadway, you do not want to see the day when our military is fighting here in the US. I personally prefer all our battles to be as far away as possible.
Yes---and look at the money we'll save to balance a 19 trilliion debt?? Do you want to continue to have the American men and women to protect peoples who won't protect themselves--are we so callus with our own Young people that we want to waste their lives in far away places that do nothing for the American people??? Isn't the waste of thousands of our YOUNG for 70 years ? Isnt that long enough??

Reaction Score
is that not enough?
The problem is --that's an ASSUMPTION of MINE---I want it spoken or posted every time someone kneels --then the Protest will mean something--until that is done it only seems designed to insult the Anthem. Hatred of the USA is one thing--Protests quite another. Protests should let everyone know what they were protesting--a co-tobacco picker of mine in Granby, you may have heard of him--protested and you knew why he protested it wasn't a secret--my co worker??? Martin King of Georgia. -

Reaction Score
Broadway, you do not want to see the day when our military is fighting here in the US. I personally prefer all our batnntles to be as far away as possible.
That's the same argument Politicians have used for 122 years--. Think about what you write. Any foreign military power, China, Korea, Russia, ISIS , Iran have the equipment and man power and wealth to hit us anytime they want--will American people in Iraq or Syria stop that? The days when oceans protected us are long gone..

Reaction Score
Did anyone notice during this NFL weekend there were no TV cameras on the anthem protesters and no comments on them by the game announcers?

Reaction Score
Well said. line001 you have my vote.
The rules and regulations for allowing protest in the "work place" (Sporting arena in this case) are dictated by the Employer and laws

Apparently the Employer goes along with the protest--NO ISSUE.

Reaction Score
The rules and regulations for allowing protest in the "work place" (Sporting arena in this case) are dictated by the Employer and laws

If it is a pure personal protest, I respect her decision.
If it is using the public sources to promote her/his own publicity, I disgust this protest.

Reaction Score
Think about what you write. Any foreign military power, China, Korea, Russia, ISIS , Iran have the equipment and man power and wealth to hit us anytime they want...

I believe this advice was directed at me -"Think about what you write". I would advise you to consider not writing at all if you come up with the above drivel.

China and Russia have no ability to project military power against the continental US except via strategic weapons, at which point they join us in nuclear oblivion. N. Korea, ISIS and Iran don't even have that capability. None of them, not even the vaunted Chinese holding of US debt, have us over any economic barrel.

You apparently feel the world is and has been a 'safe' place for some time now. I see quite the opposite. War is the one constant of human history, and I repeat, I want it as far from the US as possible.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score

They are also dictated by the CBAs with professional teams - and most of those are very specific about 'Uniform' so writing stuff on headbands or jerseys or wearing non-approved items results in fines, but actual behavior on the sidelines is not included outside of game specific action.

Are you that certain --that a member of the Military would not get away with it? A while back in USA history I'd be certain you were correct--NOW?? Who know? I suppose the only way to find out is for someone to try it---then I believe the politico would step in.
There was early on, a story I saw about an active service member in uniform in a military setting sitting during the anthem - I never saw a follow-up, but I suspect she at least received a reprimand for her action. You do not get to decide who and when you salute in the military.

Reaction Score
They are also dictated by the CBAs with professional teams - and most of those are very specific about 'Uniform' so writing stuff on headbands or jerseys or wearing non-approved items results in fines, but actual behavior on the sidelines is not included outside of game specific action.

There was early on, a story I saw about an active service member in uniform in a military setting sitting during the anthem - I never saw a follow-up, but I suspect she at least received a reprimand for her action. You do not get to decide who and when you salute in the military.
I more Military times--She would have been discharged. A reprimand--for an officer may be a problem, for an enlisted not so much if either were thinking of making it a career.

Reaction Score
I believe this advice was directed at me -"Think about what you write". I would advise you to consider not writing at all if you come up with the above drivel.

China and Russia have no ability to project military power against the continental US except via strategic weapons, at which point they join us in nuclear oblivion. N. Korea, ISIS and Iran don't even have that capability. None of them, not even the vaunted Chinese holding of US debt, have us over any economic barrel.

You apparently feel the world is and has been a 'safe' place for some time now. I see quite the opposite. War is the one constant of human history, and I repeat, I want it as far from the US as possible.
keep on smoking what your smoking---and delude yourself. Think before you write. Good advice.

Reaction Score
Plain and simple; she has no right to be disrespectful; this is clearly written in law and practiced in the courts. For those who lived through the Flag Burning fad, I am sure that you remember the coverage; flags may be burned, but only in a respectful manner. To me, this latest "fad" is inclusive in those decisions; if someone doesn't want to stand respectfully for the anthem, don't be on the field/in the arena, but you may not be disrespectful.

As for the "protest", it is nothing but sheer nonsense. Protest where and when it is appropriate. IMO this whole thing is nothing more than a publicity stunt by an inconsequential backup player trying to get on Sportscenter.

For Ms. Rapinoe, as part of the USWNT, she is representing the USA. From that standpoint, it is my feeling that she should be removed from the team, as being disrespectful to the symbol of our country is antithetical to her being a member of the team. The coach of the Men's Hockey team got it right; you sit for the anthem, you sit for the game.

Recall a few years ago when a player from (one of the mid-Atlantic state "blue" schools if I remember correctly, but I can't remember which) decided that she would protest the war in Iraq by turning her back to the flag during the anthem. When Geno was asked about it, he made it clear that players represent their University, and therefore must display behaviors that the University embraces. He went on to say that the University of Connecticut doesn't support this type of action, therefore no player wearing a UConn uniform would do so. The connotation was loud and clear.

Reaction Score
keep on smoking what your smoking---and delude yourself. Think before you write. Good advice.

Yep, that's the pablum I expected - vapid and empty, nothing approaching an intelligent response.

By the way I don't smoke any longer. Much prefer vaping and dabbing. Get with the times dude.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom