OT: US women's soccer star Megan Rapinoe refuses to stand for the national anthem | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: US women's soccer star Megan Rapinoe refuses to stand for the national anthem

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Though they certainly have the right, I always thought it was curious, odd, dumb, stupid, hypocritical to disrespect the symbol of a country that allows you the right to protest. Biting the hand that feeds you, as it were.

But overall it really doesn't bother me, I put very little stock in what athletes, actors, musicians, etc. think or say.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Of course she could also have supported Colin by wearing socks...and obviously somehow displaying them...with cartoon images of police being portrayed as 'pigs'...something Colin did prior to sitting/kneeling.

He was invited to come to the San Francisco PD to [hopefully] continue/advance the discussion.
I have not seen his response to that invitation. For a variety of reasons....primarily his own stated purpose...he should accept. Has he? Secondarily it would do his own public image a world of good....imo.

Does he have the right to wear that type of clothing? Of course. Will doing that genuinely lead us a step or two forward?
IMO...of course not. An enterprising reporter should ask the President about that.

Reaction Score
A very interesting point about responsibilities on a national team, McFly, and welcome!

Re: Kaepernick: his jerseys are selling like hot cakes (I know that term dates me), so he must have really touched a cord:
Kaepernick jersey sales are skyrocketing since he took his stance. The NFL Shop best sellers list shows the Kaepernick white jersey as the No. 2 best seller and the Kaepernick red jersey as the No. 6 best seller. The only player in the NFL selling more jerseys than Kaepernick right now is Cowboys running back Ezekiel Elliott.
Fans buying Colin Kaepernick jerseys in big numbers

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
A very interesting point about responsibilities on a national team, McFly, and welcome!

Re: Kaepernick: his jerseys are selling like hot cakes (I know that term dates me), so he must have really touched a cord:
Kaepernick jersey sales are skyrocketing since he took his stance. The NFL Shop best sellers list shows the Kaepernick white jersey as the No. 2 best seller and the Kaepernick red jersey as the No. 6 best seller. The only player in the NFL selling more jerseys than Kaepernick right now is Cowboys running back Ezekiel Elliott.
Fans buying Colin Kaepernick jerseys in big numbers

Maybe they are buying them so they can burn them.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I had never known about the third verse of the national anthem, so was very interested to actually read all the verses.

I always have a problem with people who say 'if you don't agree, then leave.' This wonderful union of ours is a work in progress and we are hopefully on a constant journey toward a more perfect union - should all of the women who wanted the vote have left before that amendment was passed, should all blacks have left before the civil war - most would have liked to in the south but they were property and could be shot and killed for 'running away'. Every politician in this country criticizes various aspects of our society and government on a daily basis, should they leave (probably would be an improvement for the rest of us! :)) I would say our president, and the office of the president is a great symbol of our country, yet every president in history has been 'disrespected' by many, and our current president has suffered through more than most.

There was a time when the flag was 'sacrosanct' and various laws were in place that made it a crime to deface it, burn it, wear it, whatever - all of those laws were judged unconstitutional and while some are probably on the books, they are no longer enforced. Olympic athletes draping the flag over their sweaty shoulders would in times past be considered disrespectful but is now almost required behavior.

I too find the playing of the anthem before sporting events to be a little strange, but then when in England they play their anthem before movies and other performances, though british visitors always comment on how many flags are flying in the USA.

The truth is, we have a long history of discrimination against various segments of our population, and we have tended to lag behind many other countries in correcting that discrimination, as we do today in many areas.

I do not think either Colin or Megan are trying to become spokespeople for either people of color or the LGBTQ community, but they are using what fame they have to bring attention to issues that exist for both communities. There has been a long history of sports figures doing so.

I found a couple of on-line commentary points quite interesting:
1. The black power protest at the Olympics 48 years ago raised a huge stir, but at no time did anyone mention that it was 'disrespectful to the military' - but then we had the draft, half the country was against the war, including a significant portion of the soldiers themselves.
2. Gabby Douglas, who stood respectfully during the national anthem on the medal stand had to apologize for not having her hand over her heart, while various other USA athletes were joking around during the medal ceremony and no one said a word. Double standard?
3. The fact that people were making a point of burning Colin's jerseys, but no one burned a Ray Rice jersey, or a jersey of Aaron Hernandez, or for any of the other sports heroes who have committed significant crimes is telling.
4. The local police are providing extra protection for Brock Turner the convicted rapist now that he is out of prison, at the same time that another police union is threatening to cancel their contract with the 49ers is a pretty interesting juxtaposition. (I wonder how many other convicted rapists get special security when they get out of prison? and at taxpayers expense!)
Please if you can, stop making so much sense.

Reaction Score
Everyone is entitled to their free speech, but there is a time and a place for it. I think it's disrespectful to do that during the National Anthem. How would any of you feel if an Olympian did that during a medal ceremony? While this isn't exactly the same thing, it's close. These athletes have a following and can express themselves at any time, and in my opinion this isn't the appropriate time.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

Fans buying Colin Kaepernick jerseys in big numbers

Maybe they are buying them so they can burn them.

Ding ding ding.

loungin.jpg

Reaction Score
You know by kneeling maybe these people are trying to make a statement and be respectful ...... I get it and I respect that.

I grew up in a deep south community that was 60% black. The police force was a 100% white. I remember being amazed there were three black students out of a thousand in my high school - there weren't any black students in my grammar school. Heck it was against the law, literally, to sell your house to a black person. I remember as a high school student getting on a public bus and a middleaged black woman laden with packages rose to give me her seat. I remember the public swimming pool closing rather than let black children swim.

I served 25 years in the military, active duty and reserves, and the blacks were automatically sent to serve the food or do the laundry. And that was in the late 60's early 70's.

I gotta tell you when my Town Council started reciting the Pledge of Allegiance before all meetings because they thought it "made you feel good" it bothered me. I thought it smelled just a little bit like McCarthyism. Like some kind of test I have to pass with my fellow citizens.

So if he feels a need to protest and be respectful doing so I got no problem with that .....

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
Everyone is entitled to their free speech, but there is a time and a place for it. I think it's disrespectful to do that during the National Anthem. How would any of you feel if an Olympian did that during a medal ceremony? While this isn't exactly the same thing, it's close. These athletes have a following and can express themselves at any time, and in my opinion this isn't the appropriate time.

Yeah, but the National Anthem is already politicized speech. Your opinion seems to be that only one type of politics is allowed in the pre-game ceremony and is compulsory. Does that seem very American?

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I served 25 years in the military, active duty and reserves, and the blacks were automatically sent to serve the food or do the laundry. And that was in the late 60's early 70's.

My 20 years of military service was all active duty Army, mostly stateside, Germany and Vietnam, 1953 to 1973. Never, at any time or in any unit in which I served, were my fellow black troopers victims of systematic discrimination. Prejudicial actions by individual commanders did unfortunately occur, but they were certainly not mainstream behavior.

That sums up my experience. Permit me to hazard a guess. You weren't Army?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
And I presume that you served so that I can disagree with you. I appreciate your service but just because you served does not make your opinion on this subject any more valid than mine.
Yes, I even served to allow for the occasional outburst of projection so we're all good over here.

Reaction Score
My 20 years of military service was all active duty Army, mostly stateside, Germany and Vietnam, 1953 to 1973. Never, at any time or in any unit in which I served, were my fellow black troopers victims of systematic discrimination. Prejudicial actions by individual commanders did unfortunately occur, but they were certainly not mainstream behavior.

That sums up my experience. Permit me to hazard a guess. You weren't Army?
Seriously? How many got promoted? Racism in the military existed then and still does. Talk to a black soldier.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
A prediction.....................As time goes on, don't be surprised to see more and more athletes from other NFL franchises along with players from different sports join Kaepernick by taking a knee during the national anthem.
Others have joined him, and others will soon follow. As long as the news media (print and electronic) continues to make his actions their lead story of the day, this will continue.

Personally, I'm tired of hearing about it. I have no problem with him taking up a cause (any cause) if he believes in it. That's his right to do so. I just don't need to hear about it everyday. It's been covered ad nauseam already by every media outlet in the country. Enough already. His taking a knee during the national anthem will continue have have life and legs as long as the media continues to give it to him.

When I tune in to a sports talk radio program, or a sports program on TV, I want to hear about sports (scores, opinions, replays and coaches interviews), not about someone's personal crusade that doesn't have anything to do with sports. If the media event producers would stop showing him kneeling, and stop making it their lead story at the beginning of every TV sports program (ESPN, NFL network, etc.) everyday, it will lose steam. "Out of sight, out of mind". If the cameras had not shown Kaepernick kneeling on the sidelines during the anthem, and no one reported it, would we have known about it?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
As a private citizen, Rapinoe has every right to show disrespect to our national symbol. As a member of a national team, she does not.
As a national team member of the women's team that gets paid a fraction of what her much less successful male counterparts get paid? And she was not a member of the national team when she did so, but a private citizen playing for a privately own team.

Reaction Score
I'm always amazed that on a women's basketball forum there are posters who equate maleness with courage. Here, of all places, we should be doing better than that.
Sorry Flash if I offended you or anyone. There are a few things you should note before commenting. First Kiazen properly titled this thread as OT, which removes the chills some of the women basketball fans may have. This looking for comments and dialog on a different topic. If woman's basketball is your only priority simply ignore. ;)
At no point in my comment did I imply woman do not have courage, simply used a common term heard all the time by both sexes. You must have missed the line that said, this form of protest is disrespectful of every man or woman who made the supreme sacrifice....If that does not take courage please let me know what I am missing. Head bang

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Have I said how much I love this forum and the people on it? No matter how disparate the opinion from mine I am proud to be a part of it. OT or not it's a great thread. Now, back to munching on the overly shined apple I just threw out here.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Just another thought, and this may skirt 'political' a little closely, but it is interesting to me that many of those who were very sympathetic to Cliven Bundy and his armed revolt against the US government and those who supported or were sympathetic to the Oregon militia armed revolt against the US government, including many bloggers and TV commentators, find a peaceful and simple protest by an athlete reprehensible.

And even more people proudly fly the confederate flag and/or display it on bumper stickers, jacket patches, etc. including actual state government buildings - is that not a form of disrespect for the US flag, it certainly seems so to me. There is of course a 'heritage' excuse, but that rings hollow when the heritage includes owning other people as property, and underlying the flying of that flag and the NH 'Don't Tread on Me' flag is a certain resistance to the federal government whose symbol is the flag and whose anthem is the national anthem.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Just another thought, and this may skirt 'political' a little closely, but it is interesting to me that many of those who were very sympathetic to Cliven Bundy and his armed revolt against the US government and those who supported or were sympathetic to the Oregon militia armed revolt against the US government, including many bloggers and TV commentators, find a peaceful and simple protest by an athlete reprehensible.

And even more people proudly fly the confederate flag and/or display it on bumper stickers, jacket patches, etc. including actual state government buildings - is that not a form of disrespect for the US flag, it certainly seems so to me. There is of course a 'heritage' excuse, but that rings hollow when the heritage includes owning other people as property, and underlying the flying of that flag and the NH 'Don't Tread on Me' flag is a certain resistance to the federal government whose symbol is the flag and whose anthem is the national anthem.
And a few years ago, the governor of Texas openly talked about his state seceding from the union. I don't recall anyone suggesting that was disrespectful to the USA or its flag, or that he was unpatriotic, or that he should emigrate to Afghanistan or Syria if he didn't love his country.

I don't believe that either Kaepernick or Rapinoe have advocated secession or emigration by those who agree with them. So isn't their offense to flag and country less than Governor Perry's?

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
What Kibitzer said! I served 22 years and never saw systemic discrimination by the military. In fact I saw just the opposite where the military often bent over backwards to accommodate minorities.

So, tell us about the openly gay men and lesbian women you served with.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom