OT: US Open | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: US Open

Reaction Score
Erin Hills is a brutally ugly course on TV

Shinnecock is in top most gorgeous US courses along with Pebble and maybe Kiawah or Olympic

This could not be more wrong. 6 of next 8 opens are at very private courses: Shinnecock, Winged Foot, Country Club Brookline, Oakmont

Reaction Score
If I had one course to play in my life it would be Shinnecock.
St. Andrew's Old Course for me. In this country, tough choice... Pebble Beach, Cypress Hills, Spyglass, Pine Valley, and Shinnecock would be on the final cut, with possibly Augusta.

ConnZag3

NCAA Hoops Connoisseur
Reaction Score
Erin Hills is nowhere near as bad as Chambers Bay was. Chambers was brown ...Erin Hills is a lot more green. Chambers was like playing out of a dried up parking lot.

Just because it doesn't have the name cache yet doesn't make it a gimmicky course. It is a heck of a challenge that has been helped by overnight rains making it too soft for these guys around the greens. Just ask DJ, Rory, or Jason what they thought of it...

Reaction Score
Carnoustie

And over here definitely Shinnecock. National maybe a close second, right next door

St. Andrew's Old Course for me. In this country, tough choice... Pebble Beach, Cypress Hills, Spyglass, Pine Valley, and Shinnecock would be on the final cut, with possibly Augusta.

Reaction Score
Erin Hills is nowhere near as bad as Chambers Bay was. Chambers was brown ...Erin Hills is a lot more green. Chambers was like playing out of a dried up parking lot.

Just because it doesn't have the name cache yet doesn't make it a gimmicky course. It is a heck of a challenge that has been helped by overnight rains making it too soft for these guys around the greens. Just ask DJ, Rory, or Jason what they thought of it...

These courses don't even make sense here. Wisconsin has trees. Why make believe they don't? its just weird.

Reaction Score
Never say never, but there will NEVER be another major player there

A gimmicky pseudo Links course in the middle of flat Midwestern farmland

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

I'm somewhat biased towards Shinnecock because I remember Floyd winning US Open there. I was always a big Floyd fan, along with Tom Watson, Lanny Wadkins, and a few others. I think Patrick Reed ends up like them. Bulldogs in competition and someone who always leaves the Wednesday practice round with a fat wad of his playing partners cash.

Chambers Bay was a disgrace and its' a shame if it ever hosts another major.

I've been working on the west coast and haven't watch the US Open live yet. Doesn't look too bad on the eyes.

Reaction Score
Pebble is great, but it in my opinion it was not as good as Shinni, Fishers Island, or Maidstone (which for some reason does not rank as high as the others but I absolutely loved).

Augusta is the dream course to play but its probably will only ever be that.

Reaction Score
And I left out Whistling Straits, Black Wolf Run, Bandon Dunes, and a bunch of others. Too many to list.

Reaction Score
Pebble is great, but it in my opinion it was not as good as Shinni, Fishers Island, or Maidstone (which for some reason does not rank as high as the others but I absolutely loved).

Played Pebble in July 1979, for $47, in a 2-some with a stranger, and we almost had the place to ourselves. And it was a spectacular top 10 day. All the others are tv viewing only ratings. I'll never play any of them unless I hit a large Powerball jackpot. I've heard great things about Fisher's Island. Sounded like my kind of place.

Reaction Score
Erin Hills is a joke

USGA overthinking itself with these gimmicky public courses

And they supposedly closed it for 7 months to make their changes

Reaction Score

Maidstone is incredible. It doesn't rank as highly because it's not long enough to host majors, but to me the layout is superior to Shinnecock and National. If I could pick one course to play before I croak, it would be Maidstone, even though I've played it more than a half-dozen times.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Never say never, but there will NEVER be another major player there

A gimmicky pseudo Links course in the middle of flat Midwestern farmland

JSM is 100% right. This course sucks.

Fox sucks even worse. They are going to butcher the World Cup.

Reaction Score
Wow, I forgot how bad Fox is (especially Joe Buck) is with golf telecasts. He adds absolutely nothing as far as golf knowledge is concerned, and his broadcast style while fine for baseball (making something dramatic in a usually boring contest) just grates on my ears. He is mostly reading what someone hands him off camera which usually is statistics or some fact to give it "perspective". Jim Nantz is so much better (and I really miss Ken Venturi, he was the best).

Another problem with the broadcast by Fox is that the audio is difficult to hear amongst the background sounds. They are trying to include too many other sounds/noises as background, or the commentary volume is too low, and it gets lost for me. Although since they are pretty bad, maybe losing the commentary isn't so lamentable after all.

ConnZag3

NCAA Hoops Connoisseur
Reaction Score
I don't disagree that Erin will likely never get another major with scores this low, but can't help that the 2 defenses of the course, being dry and quick and windy, have been completely eliminated this week.

Someone said Whistling Straits is a gem but Erin Hills is a joke. Please tell me how Whistling Straits is any different than Erin Hills? Hell, Whistling was carved up 2 years ago as well but no one seems to mind that because it wasn't the US Open.

The course is pretty damn straightforward if you hit the ball in the fairway and on the green. If you don't it can become an adventure...

Reaction Score
I don't disagree that Erin will likely never get another major with scores this low, but can't help that the 2 defenses of the course, being dry and quick and windy, have been completely eliminated this week.

Someone said Whistling Straits is a gem but Erin Hills is a joke. Please tell me how Whistling Straits is any different than Erin Hills? Hell, Whistling was carved up 2 years ago as well but no one seems to mind that because it wasn't the US Open.

The course is pretty damn straightforward if you hit the ball in the fairway and on the green. If you don't it can become an adventure...
They need to stretch it to about 8500 yds. No more reachable 667 yd par 5s. ;^)

Reaction Score
Wow, I forgot how bad Fox is (especially Joe Buck) is with golf telecasts. He adds absolutely nothing as far as golf knowledge is concerned, and his broadcast style while fine for baseball (making something dramatic in a usually boring contest) just grates on my ears. He is mostly reading what someone hands him off camera which usually is statistics or some fact to give it "perspective". Jim Nantz is so much better (and I really miss Ken Venturi, he was the best).

Another problem with the broadcast by Fox is that the audio is difficult to hear amongst the background sounds. They are trying to include too many other sounds/noises as background, or the commentary volume is too low, and it gets lost for me. Although since they are pretty bad, maybe losing the commentary isn't so lamentable after all.

Not disagreeing about Joe Buck but I don't really mind Fox. Most importantly is they show a lot of the actual golf and showed a ton of different players yesterday compared to a normal nbc or cbs broadcast. And to each his own but I can't stand Jim Nantz.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom