OT: US Open | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: US Open

Reaction Score
No trouble, wide fairways eh greens stand up and blast it and chase. These new gimmicky courses are ruining the Open. Might as well play at East Hartford next year.

Reaction Score
Rickie is a joke

-3 for last 48+ holes

Like him, but dude is not a closer

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
My friend's brother is the Commissioner of the PGA, I'll relay all your gripes to him.

Ok sarcastic guy.

They are selling a product why would they care what their audience thinks right?

Rest easy my opinion is not in short supply. I imagine they have twitter. I have friends who work for the tour - you do know the PGA and USGA are different things right? I have zero doubt my friends at PGA HQ disagree me with - zero.

Ask yourself this - who watched this weekend and said to themselves: Wow I really want to play Erin Hills.

FWIW my aunt's cousin was seeing a certain coach of whom you have been critical - I'll ask her to pass along your notes.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Ok sarcastic guy.

They are selling a product why would they care what their audience thinks right?

Rest easy my opinion is not in short supply. I imagine they have twitter. I have friends who work for the tour - you do know the PGA and USGA are different things right? I have zero doubt my friends at PGA HQ disagree me with - zero.

Ask yourself this - who watched this weekend and said to themselves: Wow I really want to play Erin Hills.

FWIW my aunt's cousin was seeing a certain coach of whom you have been critical - I'll ask her to pass along your notes.
So you don't want me to relay your complaints to him?

Ollie doesn't listen to Calhoun, you really think he's going to listen to a women he used to see, or listen to me?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
So you don't want me to relay your complaints to him?

Ollie doesn't listen to Calhoun, you really think he's going to listen to a women he used to see, or listen to me?

I had an issue at McDonald's the other day - do you happen to know anyone at Burger King?

Reaction Score
Me? Who cares, Rickie probably more upset than me right now

Played 1 good round, not enough to win

I think Rickie will get his eventually. It took Sergio like 2 decades to do it.

Reaction Score
The funny thing is the people complaining about the low scores probably don't realize Hideki shot a 276, DJ shot a 276 last year, but because Oakmont is now a par 70 (it use to be a par 72) the under par score this year looks so inflated. USGA could have played this at a par 70 and people would have been fine.

Reaction Score
Koepka ripped the field up, good for him. He was close for a while, wonder if this propels him to bigger things as you can see the potential?

Reaction Score
Koepka ripped the field up, good for him. He was close for a while, wonder if this propels him to bigger things as you can see the potential?
No doubt. One of the more underrated guys on tour.

Reaction Score
Koepka was great. So was Harman. I don't know what the future holds but both were really good this whole week.

Reaction Score
The funny thing is the people complaining about the low scores probably don't realize Hideki shot a 276, DJ shot a 276 last year, but because Oakmont is now a par 70 (it use to be a par 72) the under par score this year looks so inflated. USGA could have played this at a par 70 and people would have been fine.

Man I thought it would be a cold day in hell before I would ever like one of your posts (pats/giants thing), but this is 100% on point. Guys saying this course sucks/is gimmicky is insane. Today was the only tough weather day, and most guys struggled out there.

Reaction Score
Man I thought it would be a cold day in hell before I would ever like one of your posts (pats/giants thing), but this is 100% on point. Guys saying this course sucks/is gimmicky is insane. Today was the only tough weather day, and most guys struggled out there.

I just didn't think it translated well to TV. I'm sure its a great place to play or watch in person.

Reaction Score
Me? Who cares, Rickie probably more upset than me right now

Played 1 good round, not enough to win

Haha he's worth 10's of millions, plays golf all over the world and is dating one of the hottest women on the planet. You're complaining about a golf course looking bad on TV, so you tell me who's more upset right now ...

Reaction Score
No trouble, wide fairways eh greens stand up and blast it and chase. These new gimmicky courses are ruining the Open. Might as well play at East Hartford next year.
If the tee boxes were in Hartford it might work.

Reaction Score
Interesting setup this week. I'm all for new courses in different parts of the country to host the US Open, but I wont lose sleep if Erin Hills isn't chosen again.

Course too expansive: crowds 5-deep lining tees, fairways and greens make it feel like a major - low-looking turnout made it feel non-major. No roars being heard on TV from other areas, players stepping off shots because of it and all that.

Risk/reward holes didn't have enough risk. Par 5s and short 4s didn't have the hazards or green complexes to make the players think twice picking a strategy or club. Par 5s had easy bailouts to make birdie from. No teeth. Sometimes at US Opens pars feel like birdies and that's how it should be.

Love the wide fairways but 60 yards wide is excessive for a US Open. Plenty of great 2nd shot courses (like Augusta, Riv, etc) Yield birdies but a player MUST play from the correct spot of the fairway to have a chance since the greens and bunkers are so challenging. Guys were cashing in birds from all over the park this week.

Any course with holes not framed with trees and contrasting grass/sand colors won't present so well on TV. It helped Fox had pro tracer on every shot.

Brooks is a deserving champ. The guy has all the firepower DJ has and is a few years younger. He should be around for a long time. Brian Harman is a killer and he'll compete for more majors.

Reaction Score
My problem is equipment more than course.

I don't mind that a guy can hit a 3-wood 300 yards. It bothers me he can loft it high and drop it down on a green and get it to stop in 20' or less.

I'm with the old guard that golf ball technology has been a bigger threat to courses than clubs.

Shaft technology is the unspoken area right now too. They can fit a shaft for any player size and swing speed to have a kick/flex point that maximizes putting club head square.

The art of crafting a swing is gone. Someone on Golf Channel mentioned this yesterday. First these teens are taught how to use their body to maximize swing speed. Then they figure out everything else.
I'm torn on the technology part. Best ball striker I knew played with rusty yard sale clubs. That was in mid-70s, so maybe it matters more now. I've been making my own sets, looking for an edge, but I haven't found anything significant yet. Had a pro I know hit them, and he said they seemed as good as the brand names he was playing. Again, 10 years ago. Maybe the newest stuff is worth the price... I only need about 30 yds per club to play like a 40 yesr old.

Reaction Score
Interesting setup this week. I'm all for new courses in different parts of the country to host the US Open, but I wont lose sleep if Erin Hills isn't chosen again.

Course too expansive: crowds 5-deep lining tees, fairways and greens make it feel like a major - low-looking turnout made it feel non-major. No roars being heard on TV from other areas, players stepping off shots because of it and all that.

Risk/reward holes didn't have enough risk. Par 5s and short 4s didn't have the hazards or green complexes to make the players think twice picking a strategy or club. Par 5s had easy bailouts to make birdie from. No teeth. Sometimes at US Opens pars feel like birdies and that's how it should be.

Love the wide fairways but 60 yards wide is excessive for a US Open. Plenty of great 2nd shot courses (like Augusta, Riv, etc) Yield birdies but a player MUST play from the correct spot of the fairway to have a chance since the greens and bunkers are so challenging. Guys were cashing in birds from all over the park this week.

Any course with holes not framed with trees and contrasting grass/sand colors won't present so well on TV. It helped Fox had pro tracer on every shot.

Brooks is a deserving champ. The guy has all the firepower DJ has and is a few years younger. He should be around for a long time. Brian Harman is a killer and he'll compete for more majors.
Felt more like a PGA than a US Open. I think I prefer tight old courses that place a premium on shotmaking.

Reaction Score
I miss Tiger.

Just to put things into perspective. Second place at Erin hills, where everyone was tearing, it up was 12 under.

In 2000, at pebble, tiger shot 12 under. Second place was 3 over. 3 over at Erin hills was good for 46th place.

#goat

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom