OT: US Open | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT: US Open

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Felt more like a PGA than a US Open. I think I prefer tight old courses that place a premium on shotmaking.

Fair enough.

A few changes it needs to make for future US Open considerations. Greens are too flat. Even 50' putts had 1-2 feet of break.

Between 2nd hole and 15th, they have to make one a longer par 4 or shorten to a par 3. Short par 4's are fun. Put the risk/reward burden on the player. Neither of these have the hazardous risk of going for it.

Finally, pinch the fairways 3-5 yards on either side and move some bunkers. If players want to launch 330 yards, there needs to be a severe punishment for not being perfect.

I think if it's dry and windy for 3 or 4 days, winning score is between -4 to -6.

Overall, the course held up well.

Reaction Score
I agree with LI. Fairways were too wide and there was no risk only reward. I also think that it is basically a resort course and is designed for regular golfers to shoot 88 not a US Open. Sure they lengthened it from the tees but in terms of greens and bunkers it's still a resort course. Suitable for the Dundee-Miflin Open maybe but not the US Open. Add in the setup with wide fairways and slow predictable greens and it was a lousy venue

Reaction Score
Felt more like a PGA than a US Open. I think I prefer tight old courses that place a premium on shotmaking.
I would take Erin Hills over the USGA trying to trick up courses like Shinnecock, where Phil said he aimed for bunkers instead of greens because of how dried out they were, or Winged Foot where the USGA made the rough legitimately unplayable. It basically took the same amount of shots to win at Erin Hills as it did at Oakmont and that was with wet and calm conditions.

Most of the golfers and golf personalities had good things to say about Erin Hills. Bubba hated the course which tells me it was a decent course. My biggest issue was there was no hole(s) that I really loved, lot of good golf holes, but did not think there was any really memorable hole(s).

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

What in the world are you talking about? Jim Nantz? UConn gave him a ring? If that is true I had no idea.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom