OT: UNC "investigation" | The Boneyard

OT: UNC "investigation"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Not sure if I missed it originally or if it wasn't really mentioned - apparently, the lead investigator for the NCAA on the original North Carolina violations was a guy named Marcus Wilson.

In a WTF twist, Wilson is a former UNC football player.

Read this.

Reaction Score
Does this mean the guy who investigated Boatwright's situation last year was a former Syracuse basketball player?

Reaction Score
In all fairness, the NCAA also hired Roy Williams as a consultant.

Reaction Score
This is one area where message boards can make a difference. A grass roots movement for a fair investigation of NC might work.

Radio talk shows could also force a better investigation. Boneyarders mock Francessa all the time, but if he ever started devoting time to the NC situation it could make a difference. He devoted several weeks to Penn State. ESPN won't do it because they are in bed with NC.

Reaction Score
You do have to respect the NCAA for this - they don't even attempt to hide their biases at this point.

That takes some balls.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
NCAA’s own bylaw 32.3.3 Conflict of Interest... states, “Any enforcement staff member who has or had a personal relationship or institutional affiliation that reasonably would result in the appearance of prejudice should refrain from participating in any manner in the processing of the involved institution’s or individual’s infractions case.”
Your move, Dr. Emmert. The higher education community is watching, and waiting.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I think we're missing the bigger part of the picture - I should have pointed out more than just the school's ties to the investigator, but I was lazy and figured someone would dig it out.

What UNC is telling the NCAA and what the NCAA is accepting is that there is no connection between the scandal and the athletic program - that this is an internal matter for North Carolina given that it simply affects students at North Carolina, some of whom coincidentally happen to be athletes. ("But we gave fake grades to everyone....what's the problem?")

The author points out that he tried that very same gambit on the NCAA and got face palmed for it.

Our “open to other students and other students were enrolled” defense fell on deaf ears as the NCAA enforcement staff, with an assist from NCAA membership services, stated clearly that there was a clear “nexus”(connection) between the academic fraud and the direct benefit to the athletes, even though non-athletes potentially received the same benefit. One particular NCAA investigator told me that the fraud would not have happened “but for” the presence of athletes and the perceived benefit to them. In other words, in the eyes of the NCAA (sometimes, I guess) our fraud was done for the benefit of athletes and the others were along for the ride as a layer of protection and convenient excuse. It simply did not matter in the eyes of the NCAA, as they were convinced fraud was intended solely for the athlete’s benefit.

This sounds very close to what happened at North Carolina. It is clear that there is a direct nexus between what Nyang’oro did and the competitive advantage it provided for the North Carolina football, and likely, men’s basketball teams. I also submit that Nyang’oro would not have partaken in this activity “but for” the presence of athletes in the class and the fraudulent benefit he could provide for them.

Reaction Score
Our “open to other students and other students were enrolled” defense fell on deaf ears as the NCAA enforcement staff, with an assist from NCAA membership services, stated clearly that there was a clear “nexus”(connection) between the academic fraud and the direct benefit to the athletes, even though non-athletes potentially received the same benefit. One particular NCAA investigator told me that the fraud would not have happened “but for” the presence of athletes and the perceived benefit to them. In other words, in the eyes of the NCAA (sometimes, I guess) our fraud was done for the benefit of athletes and the others were along for the ride as a layer of protection and convenient excuse. It simply did not matter in the eyes of the NCAA, as they were convinced fraud was intended solely for the athlete’s benefit.

This sounds very close to what happened at North Carolina. It is clear that there is a direct nexus between what Nyang’oro did and the competitive advantage it provided for the North Carolina football, and likely, men’s basketball teams. I also submit that Nyang’oro would not have partaken in this activity “but for” the presence of athletes in the class and the fraudulent benefit he could provide for them.

It was more than one academic.

What possible incentive could these people have to do this?

I bet that Nyang'oro will be allowed to retire in style.

Reaction Score
Ugh, the new "independent" investigator is a former NC Governor, I guess if anybody learned anything from the Penn State scandal, is you hire a patsy to lead your investigation.

All is well in North Carolina.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Compare that to the UConn situation where they used the UHar guy to give them cover.

Reaction Score
I know that I have been pretty naive in this, but I still believe that this has to come out. There's a lot of pessimism on this board, admittedly valid, but I can't see UConn as the "victim". UNC really screwed up and they should get the appropriate penalty. I believe that they will. Call me naive.

Reaction Score
I know that I have been pretty naive in this, but I still believe that this has to come out. There's a lot of pessimism on this board, admittedly valid, but I can't see UConn as the "victim". UNC really screwed up and they should get the appropriate penalty. I believe that they will. Call me naive.

You're a little naive arnie!! lol............

UNCaa

Reaction Score
Sorry, naive. Do you also expect Calipari to get punished at Kentucky? He's there and Kentucky took him knowing their 'diplomatic immunity' will shield them from anything except maybe blatant violations with smoking guns in plain view.

Sadly, for all UConn fans wondering if the program has achieved 'blue blood' status the results of these investigations are indicative of UConn never becoming a 'made man'. We are not Italian.

Reaction Score
You are naive my friend. Yes we will never be a made man , very good deacon. Even before recent problems we were on the outside looking in and with our final 8's, final 4's and National championships. What is good is we have them and many don't.Uhh! orange and panthers and the like.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
NCAA announced UNC did not commit any violations. None.

I'm not even mad at the NCAA. I'm impressed.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score

"Forget it, Arnie3. It's NCAATown."

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
NCStateDiehard
UConn should ask the NCAA to include it in the 2012-13 NCAA Tournament. Why suspend schools for a low graduation rate when all a low rate proves is that the athletes didn't take fake classes/majors like UNC athletes do?

Reaction Score
NCStateDiehard
UConn should ask the NCAA to include it in the 2012-13 NCAA Tournament. Why suspend schools for a low graduation rate when all a low rate proves is that the athletes didn't take fake classes/majors like UNC athletes do?

This is a start. We need more than NC State and Doooook fans chiming in, but hopefully the dominoes will fall.

The problem is that, from what I recall, not all the students at UNC taking these classes were athletes. So the NCAA will hide behind that calling it a UNC issue. But seriously, if the NCAA wants to flex it's academic muscle, here was another opportunity. Why stop at UConn?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom