OT: UNC "investigation" | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: UNC "investigation"

Status
Not open for further replies.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
This is a start. We need more than NC State and Doooook fans chiming in, but hopefully the dominoes will fall.

The problem is that, from what I recall, not all the students at UNC taking these classes were athletes. So the NCAA will hide behind that calling it a UNC issue. But seriously, if the NCAA wants to flex it's academic muscle, here was another opportunity. Why stop at UConn?
From what I understand, not all of those in power at Penn St whose negligence allowed an additional dozen years of child abuse to occur were involved with athletic programs yet the NCAA somehow had jurisdiction to impose penalties.

Penn St is in a no win situation (on disputing their punishment) as there is no way that anyone can argue that they should not be punished without making public opinion even worse than what it already is. The only thing we can hope for is that enough people become aware of the double (and triple) standards and the NCAA cleans house of their current braintrust.

Reaction Score
From what I understand, not all of those in power at Penn St whose negligence allowed an additional dozen years of child abuse to occur were involved with athletic programs yet the NCAA somehow had jurisdiction to impose penalties.

Penn St is in a no win situation (on disputing their punishment) as there is no way that anyone can argue that they should not be punished without making public opinion even worse than what it already is. The only thing we can hope for is that enough people become aware of the double (and triple) standards and the NCAA cleans house of their current braintrust.

Agree.

Reaction Score
This is a start. We need more than NC State and Doooook fans chiming in, but hopefully the dominoes will fall.

The problem is that, from what I recall, not all the students at UNC taking these classes were athletes. So the NCAA will hide behind that calling it a UNC issue. But seriously, if the NCAA wants to flex it's academic muscle, here was another opportunity. Why stop at UConn?

There was an article from someone last week that said the NCAA penalized his school for precisely that, a perk that was also available to regular students.

The NCAA just banned Cal Tech because its basketball players were given three weeks to enroll in classes, just like all other students.

Reaction Score
There was an article from someone last week that said the NCAA penalized his school for precisely that, a perk that was also available to regular students.

The NCAA just banned Cal Tech because its basketball players were given three weeks to enroll in classes, just like all other students.

Interesting. Thanks for pointing this out. I'm not saying I agree with the whole "non-athletes took the same classes so it's a UNC matter, not NCAA", just that it seems that this is what the NCAA will hide behind. Which sucks. This is why it's good to finally have someone in the media get it. You know many will look the other way while others will lump us with Carolina. At least the writer of this article gets it.

Reaction Score
NCAA announced UNC did not commit any violations. None.

I'm not even mad at the NCAA. I'm impressed.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
You're right Zach, it's impressive in a "through the looking glass" way. I wonder which planet Mark Emmert is beaming these decisions from.

Reaction Score

This. So, so, this. The NCAA is a joke and it needs to go down.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
1. Arnie is naive.
2. So if the NCAA is right and this is a schoolwide issue of fraud, when are they going to lose their certification as an accredited institution?

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score

Cal Tech and UConn should collaborate to file suit together as similar academic institutions in their common oppression from the arbitrary nature of NCAA rulings. That's somewhat tongue-in-cheek. Just somewhat.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Cal Tech and UConn should collaborate to file suit together as similar academic institutions in their common oppression from the arbitrary nature of NCAA rulings. That's somewhat tongue-in-cheek. Just somewhat.
arbitrary and capricious

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01