OT Tim Brando: "There is too much privilege in college football" | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT Tim Brando: "There is too much privilege in college football"

Reaction Score
Yes, the same format everyone else has: P5 winners + 1G5 + 2 at large (and the second at large really should be reserved for a second G5 team if there are two undefeated).

This is an inclusive and equitable concept which is exactly why it will never happen.

The P5 is not allowing (and is certainly not guaranteeing) the G5 a team in the playoff. Exclusivity and access is the key to insuring the current balance of power. Think of the recruiting advantage the P5 currently has....FSU can tell a recruit come to FSU and you can potentially play for a NC while a recruit at UCF knows no matter how much they win they'll be watching the playoff on the couch... Moreover, the elite power programs (like Bama) do not want to play another game to win a NC. The current system is perfect for the SEC, they'll try and put in 2 teams who only need to win 2 games to be the champion.

The current system promotes the biggest programs, the biggest fan bases, and the biggest money makers....this system is not flawed, it is functioning as designed.

Reaction Score
I have an opinion...and it may be set from a different vantage point...

Your need for opinions that validate your own is amazing.....and no, I don't care how it is perceived by the board in general. I do care about how it is perceived by some posters that I respect.

I am sure that there are fans of teams that will not compete for FBS championship who also realize that there is an actual disparity in power among the large grouping of FBS teams.

You can level the field in golf with handicaps but do they do it in the pro's?

If you purport to be the best, you should at least be among the best.

Actually, I didn’t share my opinion on the subject. I simply stated you were naive, unaware of context and lacked self awareness. You then posted and continued to validated those traits.

Reaction Score
The College Football Playoff has largely been a dud since its inception. From New Year's Eve games in the first year to the same tired ol' teams playing year in and year out...there is zero intrigue for casual sports fans and those fans of schools who aren't fans of one of the illustrious 10 programs who will get in every year. It's funny that UConn WBB is overly criticized as being too dominant over their sport but the same dolts who say that don't say the same thing about Alabama. It's literally the same exact comparison.

Seems like you're generalizing a lot here, though I do agree that Alabama has become increasingly like the UConn women in terms of dominance.

The playoff is what, four years old? You've had three different champions, four different runner-ups, and nine different participants. Sure, most of them have been traditional powers, but what did you expect? That's the way it's always going to be, no matter what the system is. Nobody was expecting to see Purdue in that New Year's Eve slot when the idea was hatched.

Reaction Score
Problem is that college football post season is stuck in limbo at present with this made by and for ESPN television BS four team 'playoff', morphed from the bowl system, rather than a true championship playoff of division 1A conferences. ESPN is dying under weight of bad contracts, and would love a true conference champion playoff bracket BUT Notre Dame and their 100 year NBC TV contract subsidizing independant status is the remaining obstacle to a true playoff system of conference champions. Gotta squeeze ND, but the ACC got on their knees to service the Irish Jesuit priests.

The common denominator is recruiting. As long as only a handful of schools and conferences the recruiting balance will get more and more lopsided, amd the same programs over and over will perpetuate, amd interest will decline.

In a true conference champions playoff, the field for recruiting players would be closer to level, than heavily skewed, and December college football would have opportunity to generate annual interest like March college basketball.

Reaction Score
They also happen to be the best teams every year... which is getting boring but at least Ohio State might finally miss a playoff.
Not really. UCF may have won last year. They beat the team that beat both of the teams in the “national championship”. That was the farce.

Reaction Score
This is an inclusive and equitable concept which is exactly why it will never happen.

The P5 is not allowing (and is certainly not guaranteeing) the G5 a team in the playoff. Exclusivity and access is the key to insuring the current balance of power. Think of the recruiting advantage the P5 currently has....FSU can tell a recruit come to FSU and you can potentially play for a NC while a recruit at UCF knows no matter how much they win they'll be watching the playoff on the couch... Moreover, the elite power programs (like Bama) do not want to play another game to win a NC. The current system is perfect for the SEC, they'll try and put in 2 teams who only need to win 2 games to be the champion.

The current system promotes the biggest programs, the biggest fan bases, and the biggest money makers....this system is not flawed, it is functioning as designed.

Yup - very good analysis. Only thing you left out is that the current system also perpetuates Notre Dame's precious independant status and individualized television and media contract with NBC. It's my opinion, already noted, that as long as Notre Dame can maintain independant status, the system will not change - for exactly the reason you state.

It's functioning exactly as it's designed and intended to, for those it benefits.

Reaction Score
Not really. UCF may have won last year. They beat the team that beat both of the teams in the “national championship”. That was the farce.

UCF beat Auburn who had already lost three times including to Clemson.

Should they have jumped one loss Clemson who also beat Auburn and whose SOS was ranked #4 (Sagarin has UCF playing one top 30 team and Clemson playing eight).

Or one loss Georgia with an SOS of #6 who played six top 30 teams.

Or Bama...(SOS #27)

Or Oklahoma (SOS #7)

Reaction Score
UConn folks may be more familiar with Jesuit colleges than most of us...

With Georgetown, Holy Cross, St. John's, Xavier, Marquette, Creighton...and Boston College.

Heck...they could have the above and add Gonzaga, Santa Clara, St. Louis University, Fordham, and Canisius and have the Jesuit Conference

Reaction Score
Relegation would be interesting....

If you took the top 64 in Massey's Compilation end of year ratings last year.....and relegated the rest..you'd see some familiar names relegated downward...

Kansas, Oregon St., Illinois, Rutgers, North Carolina, Arkansas, Vanderbilt, Nebraska, Maryland, Florida, Syracuse, Virginia, Cal, & Minnesota.

Reaction Score
No idea who your post is directed at, but if you are so naive as to think your view on fairness in college football is going to carry any weight on this board than more power to you. Honestly, the lack of self awareness and context is pretty amazing.

So what's wrong with someone making a comment on the system overall? He's right about Clemson, so if you're worried about context and self awareness maybe he's suggesting UConn can grow into what Clemson has become.
That might be a biiiiiiiig stretch, but it's theoretically not impossible..............

Reaction Score
Problem is that college football post season is stuck in limbo at present with this made by and for ESPN television BS four team 'playoff', morphed from the bowl system, rather than a true championship playoff of division 1A conferences. ESPN is dying under weight of bad contracts, and would love a true conference champion playoff bracket BUT Notre Dame and their 100 year NBC TV contract subsidizing independant status is the remaining obstacle to a true playoff system of conference champions. Gotta squeeze ND, but the ACC got on their knees to service the Irish Jesuit priests.

The common denominator is recruiting. As long as only a handful of schools and conferences the recruiting balance will get more and more lopsided, amd the same programs over and over will perpetuate, amd interest will decline.

In a true conference champions playoff, the field for recruiting players would be closer to level, than heavily skewed, and December college football would have opportunity to generate annual interest like March college basketball.

Gotta hand it to those Jesuits.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
There only needs to be 25ish football teams the rest of the teams are wasting money. After spending a weekend at school in the top 5, I've come to a realization that we are wasting our money at UConn. We will never be remotely okay at football, us northeastern just do not care the same way people in the south do.

Reaction Score
Speaking of "privilege", I had no idea that Tom Byron is a UH alum.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Seems like you're generalizing a lot here, though I do agree that Alabama has become increasingly like the UConn women in terms of dominance.

The playoff is what, four years old? You've had three different champions, four different runner-ups, and nine different participants. Sure, most of them have been traditional powers, but what did you expect? That's the way it's always going to be, no matter what the system is. Nobody was expecting to see Purdue in that New Year's Eve slot when the idea was hatched.

I was expecting to see an undefeated UCF team in the Final 4 last year. Ironically, UCF probably would have had far more National Champion votes in the old BCS system than this current CFB Playoff. I do agree that college football is an Old Money Club and only a select few will ever get into the Playoff as currently situated. And in my opinion, that is exactly what makes this Playoff system a complete scam and an absolute dud. There are 4 spots and I expect the 4 best teams to be in the Playoff every year.

Reaction Score
Gotta hand it to those Jesuits.

If the ACC hadn't Flake d on Notre Dame and caved a couple years ago, they might have been pressed into conference affiliated football. Navy was already committed, and BYU and Army were simply waiting to get a seat somewhere.

As it is now, there is not a lot of leverage to be generated in any way to change things unless the television contracts simply dry up because nobody wants to watch anymore.

Reaction Score
Kind of like soccer?

Yes. That is one method of sorting this out fairly. Promotion and Relegation was implemented because they had a huge density professional soccer clubs trying to compete at the same level.

I doubt the big boys like Alabama would ever get behind something like this but it would be pretty awesome.

Reaction Score
So what's wrong with someone making a comment on the system overall? He's right about Clemson, so if you're worried about context and self awareness maybe he's suggesting UConn can grow into what Clemson has become.
That might be a biiiiiiiig stretch, but it's theoretically not impossible....

Nothing, but he's on here incessantly, harping to a fan base that has gotten the short-end of the stick on conference re-alignment, how fair the current system is. At some point it starts to sound like nails on the chalk board. There's a lot of folks, myself included, who are just tired of the shtick.

Reaction Score
When Saban retires, things will go back to normal at Alabama. Same with Meyer and OSU.

Dabo Swinney is the man to worry about beyond 10 years.

Reaction Score
When Saban retires, things will go back to normal at Alabama. Same with Meyer and OSU.

Dabo Swinney is the man to worry about beyond 10 years.

Tuscaloosa will come a-calling for its former son Dabo.

Reaction Score
With Georgetown, Holy Cross, St. John's, Xavier, Marquette, Creighton...and Boston College.

St John's is not a Jesuit University. Was Founded by the Congregation of the Mission.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom