OT Tim Brando: "There is too much privilege in college football" | The Boneyard

OT Tim Brando: "There is too much privilege in college football"

Reaction Score
Not really anything that a lot of us haven't already been saying, but worth the listen if only to hear an impassioned argument from a member of the media against the Alabamas, Clemsons, and Ohio States of the world (for once)... Start it at the 11:00 mark if you're pressed for time...

Short version: same 5-6 teams will get into the playoffs every year with one loss or less regardless of non-conference scheduling because they're brand names.

crazyUCfan23

Long live the Civil ConFLiCT
Reaction Score
Not really anything that a lot of us haven't already been saying, but worth the listen if only to hear an impassioned argument from a member of the media against the Alabamas, Clemsons, and Ohio States of the world (for once)... Start it at the 11:00 mark if you're pressed for time...

Short version: same 5-6 teams will get into the playoffs every year with one loss or less regardless of non-conference scheduling because they're brand names.
Thanks!

Reaction Score
Well...we do not need a league with 125 teams all purporting to play for same prize.

It is, and has been, a convenient fiction that we all concede is just that...but a fiction that creates whiners and hand wringers...."oh how unjust. The Alabama's and Clemson's get to play for it and we don't."

From the Liberty Flames to the Alabama Crimson Tide...it's a bell curve where the back three quarters on the curve have no shot at a championship. The solution is to move to the first quartile by working hard and winning...Clemson wasn't always a player...I'm old enough to remember when they went 14 of 15 seasons without a 7 win season.

But they built a brand..hired a good coach, instituted traditions like "Howard's Rock" and are now a top ten staple. The alumni supported the program through a heralded giving program.

The computers don't give a GD about "brand"...and yet they have teams like Bama, Clemson, Oklahoma, Notre Dame, Michigan, Penn State, LSU, Iowa, Ohio State and such in their Top 10.

The first non P5 weighs in this week on the Massey Composite as #15 UCF...(with zero top 30 teams played).

The truth is, without a BCS type tourney, which undercuts the weekly excitement of the regular season, there will always be griping.

And it also may not be fair that North Dakota State has won 6 of the last 7 FCS championships...but if you want to compete witrh them, work harder.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
They also happen to be the best teams every year... which is getting boring but at least Ohio State might finally miss a playoff.

I largely agree with this. I do think UCF could have been the 4th best team last season, but no way do they take down Alabama. What's bogus to me is that they're ranked 10th right now. They haven't lost in two years and they should be at 5 or 6 right now in my opinion. It is true, however, that they don't really play anyone. They face like three good teams each season, whereas B1G/SEC teams need to bring it every week

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I largely agree with this. I do think UCF could have been the 4th best team last season, but no way do they take down Alabama. What's bogus to me is that they're ranked 10th right now. They haven't lost in two years and they should be at 5 or 6 right now in my opinion. It is true, however, that they don't really play anyone. They face like three good teams each season, whereas B1G/SEC teams need to bring it every week

They aren’t one of the 5 or 6 best teams in he country.

They may have been last year but they aren’t this year.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
The College Football Playoff has largely been a dud since its inception. From New Year's Eve games in the first year to the same tired ol' teams playing year in and year out...there is zero intrigue for casual sports fans and those fans of schools who aren't fans of one of the illustrious 10 programs who will get in every year. It's funny that UConn WBB is overly criticized as being too dominant over their sport but the same dolts who say that don't say the same thing about Alabama. It's literally the same exact comparison.

Reaction Score
UConn WBB is overly criticized as being too dominant over their sport but the same dolts who say that don't say the same thing about Alabama. It's literally the same exact comparison.
Good point but what will Alabama be like after Saban and UConn after Auriemma? The "before" pictures weren't very pretty.

Reaction Score
Well...we do not need a league with 125 teams all purporting to play for same prize.

It is, and has been, a convenient fiction that we all concede is just that...but a fiction that creates whiners and hand wringers...."oh how unjust. The Alabama's and Clemson's get to play for it and we don't."

From the Liberty Flames to the Alabama Crimson Tide...it's a bell curve where the back three quarters on the curve have no shot at a championship. The solution is to move to the first quartile by working hard and winning...Clemson wasn't always a player...I'm old enough to remember when they went 14 of 15 seasons without a 7 win season.

But they built a brand..hired a good coach, instituted traditions like "Howard's Rock" and are now a top ten staple. The alumni supported the program through a heralded giving program.

The computers don't give a GD about "brand"...and yet they have teams like Bama, Clemson, Oklahoma, Notre Dame, Michigan, Penn State, LSU, Iowa, Ohio State and such in their Top 10.

The first non P5 weighs in this week on the Massey Composite as #15 UCF...(with zero top 30 teams played).

The truth is, without a BCS type tourney, which undercuts the weekly excitement of the regular season, there will always be griping.

And it also may not be fair that North Dakota State has won 6 of the last 7 FCS championships...but if you want to compete witrh them, work harder.

No idea who your post is directed at, but if you are so naive as to think your view on fairness in college football is going to carry any weight on this board than more power to you. Honestly, the lack of self awareness and context is pretty amazing.

Reaction Score
Will you stop. First of all the SEC non conference scheduling is a total joke. Alabama play a Ark State, the Citadel and SW Louisiana. It is the ultimate schedule for success. And they did not have to bring anything but 11 guys to beat Arkansas or Old Miss.

Reaction Score
No idea who your post is directed at, but if you are so naive as to think your view on fairness in college football is going to carry any weight on this board than more power to you. Honestly, the lack of self awareness and context is pretty amazing.

I have an opinion...and it may be set from a different vantage point...

Your need for opinions that validate your own is amazing.....and no, I don't care how it is perceived by the board in general. I do care about how it is perceived by some posters that I respect.

I am sure that there are fans of teams that will not compete for FBS championship who also realize that there is an actual disparity in power among the large grouping of FBS teams.

You can level the field in golf with handicaps but do they do it in the pro's?

If you purport to be the best, you should at least be among the best.

Reaction Score
Will you stop. First of all the SEC non conference scheduling is a total joke. Alabama play a Ark State, the Citadel and SW Louisiana. It is the ultimate schedule for success. And they did not have to bring anything but 11 guys to beat Arkansas or Old Miss.

Bama has opened with FSU, Southern Cal, Wisconsin, West Virginia, Virginia Tech, and MIchigan in successive seasons through 2017.

Reaction Score
The College Football Playoff has largely been a dud since its inception. From New Year's Eve games in the first year to the same tired ol' teams playing year in and year out...there is zero intrigue for casual sports fans and those fans of schools who aren't fans of one of the illustrious 10 programs who will get in every year. It's funny that UConn WBB is overly criticized as being too dominant over their sport but the same dolts who say that don't say the same thing about Alabama. It's literally the same exact comparison.

Or, to be fair, the same dolts that complain about certain Alabama dominance in football, don't say the same thing about UConn WBB.

Reaction Score
BYU, and their 1984 title, was probably the ignition point for the designation of the BCS/CFP matches as well as a catalyst for down valuing perfect seasons without attendant SOS.

From 2008...

"Give the Cougars credit for going undefeated because there is not much else they did in 1984 to deserve national championship consideration. Several "mid-major" teams since, like Boise State in 2006, Utah in 2004, and Tulane in 1998, have gone undefeated only to miss out on any serious national title consideration.

The Cougars defeated only one bowl team during the regular season (Air Force), and did not play anyone who finished the season ranked in the top 20. BYU's most impressive road win was at Pittsburgh, who finished the season 3-7-1.

Lavell Edwards' squad clinched the national championship by playing in the Holiday Bowl against a 6-5 Michigan team, easily Bo Schembechler's worst squad in his 21 years in Ann Arbor. It is still the only Michigan team to finish without a winning record since 1967."

Reaction Score
Or, to be fair, the same dolts that complain about certain Alabama dominance in football, don't say the same thing about UConn WBB.

Seriously, the Huskies schedule all the top programs in season , and then run through them again in a 64 team playoff.

They, and their conference don't play sacrificial lambs to bloat their records, then claim that their conference is sooooo tough because they're all near undefeated going into conference play...then get penciled in to a 4 team playoff.

Obviously you can't have a long playoff run in football, but IMHO 8 teams should get the chance.

Of course, I come from the side of the NC being crowned by its being the last man standing, not "body of work". So, if a UCF gets in, and runs the table, they are the NC. If it's Alabama, good for them.

Reaction Score

It's a bit frustrating..feels like pretty soon they'll get jumped by two loss teams. They just need to keep winning. I have to think that having Temple, Cincy and USF on the back half of the schedule will help the SOS. That being said, privilege plays out a bit with Clemson. Their schedule doesn't scream tough - Texas A&M and an NC State team that beat nobody of significance are the marquee wins. They're ranked #2 because? Winning and there has to be some historical influence/privilege there. Which is why UCF deserves better - if winning over time matters (20 in a row...).

Reaction Score

And yet, 125 teams sounds so much more fun. Open systems are fun. College football should have promotion and relegation. Too many freeloading teams that are in the chosen leagues that have no business being there.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Wouldn't mind seeing college playoff go to 8 teams just give appearance of giving everyone a fair shot at the championship, though in reality we'd still be seeing the same faces just a few more of them.

Anyone have an "ideal" playoff format?

Reaction Score
An 8 team playoff would be cool. How to do it though. Auto-bids for P5 conference champs? For the best G5 team? Is it ok for kids to potentially play a 16 game season? Will the national championship be on MLK day? Are these issues more or less important than issues with the current system?

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Wouldn't mind seeing college playoff go to 8 teams just give appearance of giving everyone a fair shot at the championship, though in reality we'd still be seeing the same faces just a few more of them.

Anyone have an "ideal" playoff format?

Yes, the same format everyone else has: P5 winners + 1G5 + 2 at large (and the second at large really should be reserved for a second G5 team if there are two undefeated).

Round 1, New Years day - four games. (Rose Bowl/Cotton Bowl/Orange Bowl/Fiesta Bow)
Round 2, The next saturday - two games (Location put out to bid). I like the idea of one town, two games, but TV may not. A noon game and 8pm game.
Round 3, Eight days later on Monday night - champ game.

Effective, rather than 2 teams play one extra game, 2 teams play 2 extra game and 2 play 1 extra game.

Reaction Score
And yet, 125 teams sounds so much more fun. Open systems are fun. College football should have promotion and relegation. Too many freeloading teams that are in the chosen leagues that have no business being there.
Kind of like soccer?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom