OT: Thursday at 9 a.m., the Freeh Report is available. . . | Page 7 | The Boneyard

OT: Thursday at 9 a.m., the Freeh Report is available. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Flawed argument. You assume that a 20,000 seat sellout at Ohio's stadium (we've been there recently) small venue, smallest in 1-A football I believe.....would bring in less revenue than playing an away game at PSU. I don't know that to be true.

You can't possibly be serious. It's not even remotely close.

Beaver Stadium seats 107,282. Average attendance exceeds 100,000 per game and regularly reaches or approaches 1.2 million for a season.

Tickets (low demand) for the Ohio game are available now (StubHub) for a range of $177 to $1,199.99. Parking passes go for $29 - $150.

Not exactly strategic deterrence, but possibly a budget-buster.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Anybody know how much UConn made going to Michigan in 2010?

(we played in front of the largest crowd ever to attend a college football game)

Reaction Score
Not going to participate in this discussion.
Meaningful discussion is not possible without taking Paterno's political (partly political partly religious) views into account.
This is not the forum for that.

Reaction Score
Wow, I really did chase a rabbit down a hole coming here for discussion.

Listen Lady Huskies fans.......if somebody got on the phone to the AD at Ohio University today and told him/her that they were going to get a home game against PSU in 40 days? The top shelf bottles would be coming down and everybody getting drink...plenty of drinks, all made with the expensive stuff. Just saving on the travel expenses for the entire football program would be enough to bring those bottles down.

Is anyone here under the impression taht Ohio would be sharing the gate receipts equally with PSU? THat ohio is getting any of the parking/concessions? Equally?

I truthfully don't know how much money UConn made going to play in front of over 110,000 people at the Big House on the gridiron in 2010. I guarantee you it was well under a million, most likely in the $500-600k range, if that high. I do know off the top of my head, that we paid Texas Southern $450,000 to come to Rentshcler in 2010 and screw up their own schedule, for a one time game in 2010, to the fill the hole that Northeastern made in the schedule when they shut down their football program unexpectedly in 2009. And that number was a big number to pay out, and we paid it b/c it was last minute scheduling, and Texas Southern traveled their program to CT, and screwed up their own scheudling to get it.

Ohio, most likely would be taking in high end $500k in from that game. PSU is notoriously tight with their money, shockingly right?

With a 20,000 seat stadium, and announcing tomorrow that they've got a game in Sept against Penn State? Let's be low end here, with numbers - and say they put the tickets on sale for $20 a seat. All of them are going to sell. That's 400,000k right there. and that's a $20 a seat. Parking, concessions, merchandise, etc......and factor in that they just saved tens of thousands on travel expense. YEs, they'd be excsctatic for a home game.

Change that 20,000 seat capacity to 50,000?

Look - lady huskies fans. College football is a dirty, cut throat business. It is and always has been. THeres a river of money that flows through it, and large scale athletic departments live off football money. It's far greater than any other sport can generate, and that goes for uconn too, football at UConn, in few short years, has leaped well ahead in revenue of both mens and women's bball combined.

It's a dirty, dirty business though, and all you have in college football, is your reputation.

There are three ways you can go with that reputation.

#1. You can do the best you possibly can to do things the right way, all the time, and deal with consequences up front and truthfully as they come when something bad happens, and never lie about anything and develop that rep. (We've been fortunate enough to have a string of coaches at UConn for many years that have kept that rep, and I fully expect it to continue.

#2. You can completely disregard rules, and win at all costs and hide nothing about how you do things, and deal with the consequences if and when you get caught, and develop thatoutlaw rep.

#3. You can go try to do the right things all the time, and then lie like hell to avoid problems when they happen, and they always happen, and develop that rep.

As far as the topic at hand. Penn State, for decades, touted their football program as the model of the highest standard. No NCAA violations by any of the thousands of players and staff that came through State College over all the decades. THose of us in teh college football world marveled at it. The ability to keep so many young men, so many support staff, so many boosters - out of the dirty business.

The truth, is that it was all a lie.

Reaction Score
FYI: Appalachian State was paid $400,000 for the game against Michigan a few years ago that they won. Michigan made several million dollars on the game.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
FYI: Appalachian State was paid $400,000 for the game against Michigan a few years ago that they won. Michigan made several million dollars on the game.
Carl, first thing you need to know is there are NO Lady Huskies fans. That is a faux pas from which you may never recover. ;)

Reaction Score
We are not "Lady Huskies" fans.

I apologize for the comment, it certainly wasn't meant to be offensive. Oh boy, where am I?

Home games in division 1-A college football (BCS, FBS for the past few years) is big time business. THere isn't a single program in the entire country that would prefer to play a road game against PSU, over having a PSU come to their home stadium. It's that simple.

College football is dirty business. THat's what this is all about. THat's why it's a football matter. THat's why people are so upset. That's why it's a matter for the NCAA. Penn State was THE school in the country with the golden reputation. That reputation was used to recruit. That reputation was used to negotiate business deals. THat reputation is what made people like the president of the United States check with his own schedule before meeting with Joe Paterno.

THe dirty business that happens around football programs all over the country, that constantly needs to be monitored....that NEVER happened at Penn State ....or so they said, so everyone believed....until Jerry Sandusky.

Protecting the power of that golden reputation, is also the reason why Jerry Sandusky had the opportunity to sexually molest at least 8 boys, in the football facility showers, over at least a decade, since people most definitely had reason to suspect to never let him in the football facility again in the presence of an adolescent boy.

The truth is that the golden reputation was a lie. The NCAA is going to dig, and they will find everything they need.

I suppose I've said enough around here, don't want to ruffle anybody the wrong way.

Reaction Score
I tried to go back and edit, delete but it's too late.

Flog away.

I just hope that other stuff I wrote in that message doesn't get ignored b/c of my faux-pas which appears to be quite bad. In college football, your reputation is all you got. Especially, MOST especially, if you're a regular winner....and the power of that reputation, which is all public image, is what the tragedy at PSU is all about.

Sorry for the bad name.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I do not anticipate PSU taking a vow of poverty. Were they to play AT Ohio U., they would surely expect to at least have their bus fare reimbursed. That game, there, won't happen.

Mark it down. PSU will host Ohio U. in Beaver Stadium on September 1. We can watch it on ESPN.

Reaction Score
That's why allowing PSU to continue to play, but just play away, is not nearly what SMU got. They'd still be collecting minimum a few hundredK for 12 weeks of the fall. A lot less than what they make for the 8 home games, but still several million dollars.

Shutting down completely? Now you've hit them in the pocket hard.

Peace folks. I confess that I"m a football nut, and my callous name calling proves it. I will do penance of making sure nobody else repeats my mistake as best I can, and hope for forgiveness.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
If I may interject for a moment..this thread has been a most interesting lunchtime read for a number of days. Remarkable I must say.

...and now back to our regularly scheduled discussion...

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
Carl, thanks for dropped in to our little (in comparison) world of women's basketball, and for the insight into the world of big time college football. Besides, I love it when you talk dirty:).

We are a bit touchy about the "lady" issue, in part because of not wanting to be associated with the Tennessee Lady Vols, another "perfect" program a la Penn State. So, don't be concerned, you did state that you weren't into women's basketball, so I'm sure people here will give you a pass for not knowing.

This would be a good year to become a fan of Uconn Husky Women's Basketball, given the team's excellence. It will alleviate the stress that exists in being a big time football fan, and is just as exciting.

Reaction Score
Oh good. Thanks. Felt like I turned the corner into a viper den there for a sec.

I'll have to print out the schedule and put it up on my refrigerator. I'll do that today.

FWIW: I remember huskies hoops before the Vols. I was still hanging around campus into the summer of 1991, and was a regular at the Bidwell tavern in that summer time and the girls were too. We sat on opposite sides. It was like an 8th grade formal, but they were hot and let everybody know it. Yup, I saw Lobo, Walters, Rizzotti drunk as skunks and behaving badly......they had been to the final four.

We football people were fantasizing about what it would be like to play in the newly formed Big East conference and have Miami, and BC, and Syracuse on campus.

With the penalties to the men's program this year, I think it's a good time for a lot of cross reference. I encourage you all to print out football schedules and go to a game, if you haven't. We have a really good thing going at Rentschler.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Oh good. Thanks. Felt like I turned the corner into a viper den there for a sec.

I'll have to print out the schedule and put it up on my refrigerator. I'll do that today.

FWIW: I remember huskies hoops before the Vols. I was still hanging around campus into the summer of 1991, and was a regular at the Bidwell tavern in that summer time and the girls were too. We sat on opposite sides. It was like an 8th grade formal, but they were hot and let everybody know it. Yup, I saw Lobo, Walters, Rizzotti drunk as skunks and behaving badly......they had been to the final four.

We football people were fantasizing about what it would be like to play in the newly formed Big East conference and have Miami, and BC, and Syracuse on campus.

With the penalties to the men's program this year, I think it's a good time for a lot of cross reference. I encourage you all to print out football schedules and go to a game, if you haven't. We have a really good thing going at Rentschler.

I hope you realized I was teasing you with the "Lady" thing I used the emoticon as a hint.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
"Oh good. Thanks. Felt like I turned the corner into a viper den there for a sec."

Interesting there, Carl. We got foxes, we got bears..don't know as we've got any snavelys, at least any who'll admit to it.

Let me give it a try..Hiss! Hiss!..nah, I'll stick with beardom.

Yeah, "Lady" Huskies is a hot button. We're proud of the fact that they're not "ladies" on the court - they're ballplayers, and dam' good ones.
Other programs make a big deal about how (the following needs to be spoken in a soft, southern drawl) "refined, and proper, and we never curse" their players are, and about how, on occassion, players from other programs can be a bit "coarse" in their comments.

You betcha: whatcha gonna do 'bout it, pilgrim?

Enough on that. Changing topics: why do I think the women you mentioned, particularly The Big Girl, would be pretty entertaining when s**tfaced?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Carl, first thing you need to know is there are NO Lady Huskies fans. That is a faux pas from which you may never recover. ;)
Gotta be nice to Carl. He's never been here before and isn't up on the lingo yet.

Note to CarlSpackler: All UConn teams are Huskies, no Ladies. That's for the SEC and Big 12, couple of Big 10 teams.

Reaction Score
I hope you realized I was teasing you with the "Lady" thing I used the emoticon as a hint.

The word 'fan' comes from 'fanatic'. One thing I don't need to be told about husky hoops, the women kind, is that the fanatic part of it, rivals anything out there in and community in football. I have no doubt that the phrase "lady huskies" has every bit of deep meaning noted to the fans, and more.

The tallest one was the most entertaining btw. :)

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Gotta be nice to Carl. He's never been here before and isn't up on the lingo yet.

Note to CarlSpackler: All UConn teams are Huskies, no Ladies. That's for the SEC and Big 12, couple of Big 10 teams.
I realized that and that is why I made it a joke with the winky.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score

Not even Lobo was a freshman yet in 1991; so they either were NOT the players you saw, or they were behaving very, very, very badly and their parents were quite negligent.

Reaction Score
?? I'm 100% Walters was there. I know I"ve seen Lobo, and Rizzotti there too among many others in the later 80's early 90s. It was a regular hang out for the sports teams. I think it was Bascom used to go there a lot with some others from that team. A lot of the football team from 1989-91 went there quite regularly. Maybe they were out doing something they shouldn't be doing upon arriving to campus as frosh? ... or maybe it was or not all at the same time, i did go back and spend some time there in the summers after. In 91 though, I was there all summer taking classes. I don't know, much of my summers at UConn are blurry, and was in and out there quite a bit from the mid 80s to mid 90s. I do have friends that will attest though, and we're not small people, that the ladies there regularly, were taller, and aggressive, and I could tell a story I(nothing incriminating, but funny) about Walters who one night was particularly interested in one of the smaller guys, but I'll leave it at that.

I'm going to make it a point of going to some games this year. Fun talking w/ you all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom