OT: The American | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: The American

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
No one will make SMU a road trip.

If you think they are still getting $6M a year (spoilers…they never were), you have not been paying attention.

You are a font of bad takes.

It was like Tulane in AAC. You don't want to do the road trip but if life throws you a lemon you get a cheap flight and a fun weekend.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
No one will make SMU a road trip.

If you think they are still getting $6M a year (spoilers…they never were), you have not been paying attention.

You are a font of bad takes.
Nothing I said was wrong. The legacy AAC schools are getting 6 million going forward. The C-USA6 that are joining are getting about half of that. This has been reported.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
I suspect there is a composition clause that has reduced the cost of leaving at this point.
There is not. It is still 10 million.

Reaction Score
Yeah, except SMU is a private school with a multi billion endowment and boosters who will stroke a check for anything.
I don't know how generous their boosters are but there are about 12,000 undergraduate and graduate students at SMU and their endowment is about $2 billion. Not huge by endowment standards these days. Tulane is also a private school which has about the same number of undergraduate and graduate students with a similar approximately $2 billion endowment. Hasn't done much for them.

Just for a reference point on endowments, my son is at a small school with less than 2000 students and their endowment is $1.3 billion. And that's a D3 school.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I would pay $10,000 for a recording of Aresco asking Air Force and Colorado State "would you guys like to join us THIS TIME, now that we're worse?"
He was brought in for his expertise in television deals. He’s just biding his time waiting to win the big one.

Rocky And Bullwinkle Internet GIF

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Thank god we bailed when we did.

But if we didn't, would we have received an invite in the latest rounds of expansion? Probably not because football was so bad, but Mora changes that

Having said that, we're a basketball school and I'm a basketball man, so I love the Big East

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
My guy. Things have happened while you we’re sleeping…

Completely baffled and yet not baffled. It’s an inventory move - San Diego State makes sense and then they just need one more for inventory. SMU was the prettiest corpse in the morgue, so they’re gonna get in.

I am not sure Arizona, Oregon and Washington have anywhere to go other than to the Big 12….and they’d be signing up for trips to Houston, Cincy and Orlando, so they’re probably better off just enduring the every other year trip to Dallas.
Wild isn't it? If the Big XII knew UCLA and UCS were going B1G, they wouldn't have expanded with those schools, and the Arizona Schools, Utah and Colorado would be going to the Big XII, or they do a full merger.

As for SMU it's academics are good, the student body is wealthy, and it has won a NC in football. Dallas isn't that far away.

Reaction Score
7 million dollars
The $7M won’t be there with the next contract. But your point is valid — the time to move is when they are not getting the $7M.

When that time comes, we will be playing Temple every year in football, just like UMass.

Reaction Score
Is anyone else completely baffled by this move? Pls don’t say Dallas metro….. I get it, but SMU screams our league is on the path to being the next Big 12……Have to think this pushes the remaining cream of the crop (zona, oregon, washington) faster out the door as soon as they can find a lifeboat…. if they can.
Why would they invite a team that makes it more likely that they would want out?

Reaction Score
I think Army is the first school the AAC reaches out to. I think Army declines. I then think they will try for Air Force and Colorado State again. I think that will also fail. Buffalo and UMass would both like to join, but I don't see it. I assume the #14 team will be Texas State, Georgia State, or a C-USA school.
No one is leaving Mountain West for the AAC. Mountain West makes much more sense as a conference, and when the next TV contract comes will make similar money (if it doesn’t now).

Reaction Score
How in the world does SMU get into a power conference before us. That’s just so sad, watch USF be next.
Much stronger base of alumni support ($1.5B vs $450 M) in a premium market (Dallas) and a major air hub. And yes, USF and Memphis will be next. If it was based on “old fashion” metrics where academic reputation, flagship, and HHI mattered, we would be among the cream of the crop.

Reaction Score
No one is leaving Mountain West for the AAC. Mountain West makes much more sense as a conference, and when the next TV contract comes will make similar money (if it doesn’t now).

at this point the MWC might be able to steal Memphis if they were so inclined.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Wild isn't it? If the Big XII knew UCLA and UCS were going B1G, they wouldn't have expanded with those schools, and the Arizona Schools, Utah and Colorado would be going to the Big XII, or they do a full merger.

As for SMU it's academics are good, the student body is wealthy, and it has won a NC in football. Dallas isn't that far away.

No, they still had to expand with those four.

But they are absolutely going to make another full court press now to raid the Pac12.

Reaction Score
I've been intrigued by the Temple situation for a while now but they seem content. I don't know why.

Still, nothing stupefies me more than the L-ville move. SMU - don't forget Rhett Lashlee, and this guy. Anyway, if you ain't P2, you're last.

View attachment 83980
You should read their board. They (fans) aren't happy at all. In fact, they're waiting for an ACC/B1G invite to get them out of what I think is a hopeless situation.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom