OT: Stock trading | Page 199 | The Boneyard

OT: Stock trading

Reaction Score
I just bought AMD a couple of weeks ago because they are (in my opinion) going to get a bunch of the scraps with these AI chips as demand is through the roof and NVDA can't supply them all. If you look at what they did to Intel in the PC chips market 10 years ago, I expect them to do something similar here. They may look like a distant #2 right now, but I don't expect them to be for long.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
I bought some Li-Cycle. Somebody's going to win the EV battery recycling game and they seem well-positioned. Just gonna check back in on this one in like 2030.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
who do you watch/listen to for your stock information?

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
IMO if you're watching or listening to anyone, you're either too late or they're just dead wrong.
everyone isnt a pro... someone had to teach you or you followed their guidance until you became a master of the craft. You do options as well?

Reaction Score
everyone isnt a pro... someone had to teach you or you followed their guidance until you became a master of the craft. You do options as well?

There are about 1000 places you can get information on trading stocks. Go buy a finance textbook. If you're watching or listening to someone (anyone) for individual "stock information," you're doing it wrong. That includes the recommendations on the yard.

No one is a master of trading stocks and if they claim to be, they're lying.

Frankly, for 99% of people going full Boglehead and saving your time is the best option.

Reaction Score

Frankly, for 99% of people going full Boglehead and saving your time is the best option.
That is by far the best advice on investing ever given on the BY!

Reaction Score
That is by far the best advice on investing ever given on the BY!

I do enjoy rolling the dice with crypto, individual stocks (used to do options), but I'm well-aware it really isn't the BEST way to go about things. I just keep 10% if my investments or so in my stocks fun fund.

My claim to fame is having bought maybe 5 ethereum for 70 bucks and sold it for 1100 a piece. Haven't beat the market overall since. Some years up, some down. On average about even.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Best advice I got was from a friend back in 2020 to look in to ET when it was trading around $4/share.

That has made me a ton of money and is back up to $0.31 quarterly distribution which I dump right back in to more shares.

Best self observed stock for me is BA. I'm at about $129 as my break even for it.

Reaction Score
I do enjoy rolling the dice with crypto, individual stocks (used to do options), but I'm well-aware it really isn't the BEST way to go about things. I just keep 10% if my investments or so in my stocks fun fund.

My claim to fame is having bought maybe 5 ethereum for 70 bucks and sold it for 1100 a piece. Haven't beat the market overall since. Some years up, some down. On average about even.
Rolling the dice is gambling not investing - the bogleheads.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
There are about 1000 places you can get information on trading stocks. Go buy a finance textbook. If you're watching or listening to someone (anyone) for individual "stock information," you're doing it wrong. That includes the recommendations on the yard.

I don’t know what they even teach now. At UConn, as a finance major we had advanced classes on stock, option and commodity valuation. Loads of complicated calculus. That was 1987-88. By the mid-late 90s as electronic trading hit, it was worthless. It really is way more speculative than it ever used to be. It’s been up but it probably shouldn’t be.

Really the only safe play is broader funds over a long time. But where’s the fun in that?

Reaction Score
Wallstreetbets. Got over $50k in my account now. Yes, I started with $200k, but that’s not the point.
Joining Welcome Home GIF

Reaction Score
I can't remember if anyone on this board was in/touting NNDM a few years ago. 3D industrial printing company in Israel. During pandemic boredom (early 21) I bought a small am't <5k that is worth maybe 1/5 of my near peak buy (& bought some more on way down) - but hanging on for long term as its in a retirement account so no benefit to loss. Currently nasty proxy fight with investment firm that according to company board at least wants to liquidate to get at cash. I think they are both probably right but haven't gotten into weeds.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I have honestly liquidated almost everything but MSFT, AMZN, APPL and index funds. Stuff is just a bit too crazy right now.

Reaction Score
I don’t know what they even teach now. At UConn, as a finance major we had advanced classes on stock, option and commodity valuation. Loads of complicated calculus. That was 1987-88. By the mid-late 90s as electronic trading hit, it was worthless. It really is way more speculative than it ever used to be. It’s been up but it probably shouldn’t be.

Really the only safe play is broader funds over a long time. But where’s the fun in that?
I love Wall Street guys who think they are smarter than anyone. None of these jokers are old enough to pick stocks in a high interest rate environment.

They use charts, metrics, and themes. It is all like homeopathic medicine imo.

Count me a fan of index funds and the rational market theory that can only be influenced by psychology.

The market is priced whatever the heard feels it’s worth.

Reaction Score
I love Wall Street guys who think they are smarter than anyone. None of these jokers are old enough to pick stocks in a high interest rate environment.

They use charts, metrics, and themes. It is all like homeopathic medicine imo.

Count me a fan of index funds and the rational market theory that can only be influenced by psychology.

The market is priced whatever the heard feels it’s worth.
Homeopathic medicine was actually the right way to go all along js. Western medicine has made collective fools of itself the past 3.5 years.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom