OT: Stock trading | Page 97 | The Boneyard

OT: Stock trading

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
There are a lot of free speech issues that are going to come with prosecuting that, a lot of PR issues in going after anonymous message board users, and a lot of potential gray area being opened up around what is market manipulation that I'm not sure the SEC will want to wade into here.

By that logic insider trading is also a free speech issue for the tipper.

the Q

Reaction Score
The folks on reddit have zero non-public knowledge. Those are not the same thing at all.

It would have the same “free speech” concern.

Reaction Score
It would have the same “free speech” concern.
No, a private conversation between two people that provides insider info for the purpose of someone else trading on that information does not have the same free speech concerns as people on an anonymous public message board without any non-public knowledge discussing the idea that Hedge funds severely overshorted a stock and thus have created a guaranteed future demand and potential short squeeze opportunity. You're reaching hard here and completely off base.

the Q

Reaction Score
No, a private conversation between two people that provides insider info for the purpose of someone else trading on that information does not have the same free speech concerns as people on an anonymous public message board without any non-public knowledge discussing the idea that Hedge funds severely overshorted a stock and thus have created a guaranteed future demand and potential short squeeze opportunity. You're reaching hard here and completely off base.

No. This was a bunch of people actively colluding to keep buying up a stock to artificially inflate its price

Reaction Score
No. This was a bunch of people actively colluding to keep buying up a stock to artificially inflate its price
At least you're off the whole this is the same as insider trading from a free speech perspective. What you brought up is the question and not necessarily one that is mutually exclusive to what I've said. But this all raises the question, is Citron working to to actively suppress the value of Gamestop also illegal market manipulation? Is that question the SEC or these hedge funds really want to put out in the spotlight?

the Q

Reaction Score
At least you're off the whole this is the same as insider trading from a free speech perspective. What you brought up is the question and not necessarily one that is mutually exclusive to what I've said. But this all raises the question, is Citron working to to actively suppress the value of Gamestop also illegal market manipulation? Is that question the SEC or these hedge funds really want to put out in the spotlight?

You brought up speech that is a securities law violation being a feee speech issue, not me.

the Q

Reaction Score
Never have institutional managers actively colluded to keep buying (or selling) securities and other assets to drive their prices up (or down).

I’m shocked, shocked to find that collusion may be going on here. ;)

I didn’t say that either. But one doesn’t mean the other isn’t happening

Reaction Score
You brought up speech that is a securities law violation being a feee speech issue, not me.
Okay, so we're in agreement. This may or may not technically be illegal manipulation but it's definitely not in any way the same as insider trading from a free speech perspective.

the Q

Reaction Score
Okay, so we're in agreement. This may or may not technically be illegal manipulation but it's definitely not in any way the same as insider trading from a free speech perspective.

They are both speech that violates a security law.

Reaction Score
They are both speech that violates a security law.
Those goal posts are about a mile wide at this point, aren't they?

Edit: Let me ask you this. Is a hedge fund manager going on CNBC to say why a stock that they happen to have a short position in is overvalued also illegal market manipulation?

Reaction Score
I'm closing out my RH account, and moving things into my Ally or TD Ameritrade account. They are playing games and favoring the 'suits' over the retail investors (lil guys).

Anyone have tips (i.e. what to avoid) on closing stock positions and transferring them (and cash) to another firm?
@KitamanEdit: Potentially, Ally and other established brokers may have reasonably raised margin requirements and possibly limited some transaction types, but transferring away cash and most securities should not require closing positions. See this Understanding the Brokerage Account Transfer Process | FINRA.org

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I like how random billionaires have lost multiple billions. But why are fellow billionaires bailing out these losers?

Reaction Score
Vietnam: big picture, LT manufacturing & supply chain perspective. ST SARS-2 spike now > ST downturn likely. MT to LT upside as Korean, JP, TW, mainland, and western companies including AAPL shift <some> manufacturing to relative stable Christian/Buddhist VN, projected ST downturn > dollar cost averaging low volume VNM ETF. Not a recommendation, just what I’ve seen in process, colleagues in country see and project, and hope succeeds.

Same same with India & low volume FLIN

Reaction Score
I like how random billionaires have lost multiple billions. But why are fellow billionaires bailing out these losers?
Because Gabe Plotkin The creator of Melvin capital did not snitch on Steve Cohen when he committed securities fraud and had to pay a 1.8 billion dollar fine. Plotkin was trader number two at SAC capital.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
If anyone is looking to leave RH like myself, I suggest SoFi. It is a money management app (more than just a trading platform) started by Chamath Palihapitiya. Robinhood deserves to wither and go busto.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
They actively colluded to manipulate a stock price.

Proving each and every individual case could be problematic. But by the actual rules they could get quite a few of them
if a suit goes on tv and bashes a stock or writes an article about why a stock is overvalued and then it tanks, that's fine? That's what happened with $NIO and $FUBO.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
If anyone is looking to leave RH like myself, I suggest SoFi. It is a money management app (more than just a trading platform) started by Chamath Palihapitiya. Robinhood deserves to wither and go busto.
Fidelity seemed to be fine. Webull also restricted during the day

Reaction Score
Because Gabe Plotkin The creator of Melvin capital did not snitch on Steve Cohen when he committed securities fraud and had to pay a 1.8 billion dollar fine. Plotkin was trader number two at SAC capital.
No way Citadel Securities, not HF Citadel, executes/d any Melvin trades.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom