OT - Sterling Banned For Life and Receives a $2.5M Fine | The Boneyard

OT - Sterling Banned For Life and Receives a $2.5M Fine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Like $20 to me. But I think that's the maximum. As for lifetime ban, that's to be determined. I mean can they force him to sell, and how do the players stay insulated in the process?

This is so damaging all the way around. As for the NBA at least they went as far as they could go, which is commendable.

Reaction Score
The punishment is common sense from a marketing perspective. Not surprised, pretty much what I thought would be the most likely outcome.

Reaction Score
Hard to see how sterling would stay in this situation especially if perception is something that matters to him, and it sounds like the owners might force him to sell anyway.

UConNation

I object!
Reaction Score
Like $20 to me. But I think that's the maximum. As for lifetime ban, that's to be determined. I mean can they force him to sell, and how do the players stay insulated in the process?

This is so damaging all the way around. As for the NBA at least they went as far as they could go, which is commendable.
Yes, they can force him to sell. In the NBA by-laws if the Commish and the owners vote with a 3/4 majority that he acted in a way that was detrimental to the league (I'm paraphrasing) then they can basically take the team from him. How that ultimately plays out, I'm not entirely sure. Meaning, I don't know if that means that the team is controlled and owned by the NBA or if the NBA and the other owners get to pick a buyer. Either way though, they can force him out.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Yes, they can force him to sell. In the NBA by-laws if the Commish and the owners vote with a 3/4 majority that he acted in a way that was detrimental to the league (I'm paraphrasing) then they can basically take the team from him. How that ultimately plays out, I'm not entirely sure. Meaning, I don't know if that means that the team is controlled and owned by the NBA or if the NBA and the other owners get to pick a buyer. Either way though, they can force him out.
I think it's both. I think the NBA would pay Sterling (I would guess based off a valuation. I don't know if it has to be Fair Market Value). Then, by way of the bid process, the other owners get to approve any new owner allowed in the club of 30.

Reaction Score
Wow... just... wow.

A man has a "right" to his prejudices, just like the NBA has the "right" to tell him to take a long walk off a short pier. Sterling's behavior is no more a referendum on all white people than the "knockout" game is a referendum on all black people.

In the future, I would probably keep your extremely racist rants to yourself.

I'd just like to take the time to congratulate B Vogel on bringing you and I on the same side of an argument for once.

Reaction Score
Give me 5 HFD's over this idiot B Vogel. C'mon Tom/Fishy...enough already.

we know it ain't the first time and it definitely won't be the last. "Racist comments, please, why should we put a stop to that???"

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
This is a bad precedent. Instead of all the shouting from the soap boxes by everyone, the NBA should have just made it difficult enough for Sterling to continue to own the team that he would have to sell it.

A woman died at a house owned by Colts owner Robert Irsay from a drug overdose, and she appears to be a social connection of his. Is that more or less bad than Sterling's comments on a private phone line?

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
This is just mind boggling... the man is a liberal democrat who was donating money to the NAACP employs mostally black people. He was jealous of the much younger better looking black people his GF was hanging out with and made wrong insensitive remarks in private. Imagine the stuff we would hear if we listened to private conversations between black players? There is a huge double standard. How many times has jay-Z made sexist, homophobic, or racist comments on his tracks?

Reaction Score
Anybody crying over this d!ckhead losing his team needs to do some research on his past dealings and understand how his real life racism affected people's lives. Silver can say that that didn't play a part in this decision, but this lifetime ban was correcting a wrong that Stern didn't have the balls to do back then.

Husky25

Reaction Score
This is a bad precedent. Instead of all the shouting from the soap boxes by everyone, the NBA should have just made it difficult enough for Sterling to continue to own the team that he would have to sell it.

A woman died at a house owned by Colts owner Robert Irsay from a drug overdose, and she appears to be a social connection of his. Is that more or less bad than Sterling's comments on a private phone line?

The other owners may very well compel a franchise sale.

The Coroner ruled her death accidental and no one said the Colts and/or NFL won't act once Irsay gets out of rehab.

Reaction Score

Hell has frozen over. I agree with you.

First Loop, now Nelson. Seeking therapy.

Husky25

Reaction Score
I fear this whole incident might set a dangerous precedent. I wonder how much she
was paid by TMZ. The coach on the Warriors was fired a few weeks ago for recording
their private team meetings. I feel we as a people have just lost our privacy rights. Who's
next. We're all fair game.
How many times does it have to be repeated that Sterling most likely had knowledge and had given consent to have his conversations taped. The woman's official capacity was archivist.

Sources said [Darren] Erman, who was coach Mark Jackson's second assistant, would record coaches' meetings, meetings between the coaches and players, and informal discussions among coaches that took place in the team's coaches room -- all without the participants' knowledge.

Reaction Score
This is just mind boggling... the man is a liberal democrat who was donating money to the NAACP employs mostally black people. He was jealous of the much younger better looking black people his GF was hanging out with and made wrong insensitive remarks in private. Imagine the stuff we would hear if we listened to private conversations between black players? There is a huge double standard. How many times has jay-Z made s e xist, homophobic, or racist comments on his tracks?

Sterling is a registered Republican - not sure that supports claim he is 'liberal democrat' or what that has to do with his ignorant racism.

Reaction Score
The other owners may very well compel a franchise sale.

The Coroner ruled her death accidental and no one said the Colts and/or NFL won't act once Irsay gets out of rehab.

There is a much higher sense of indigence about Sterling than there is Irsay. Should there be? I don't care if it was "accidental". Irsay's situation is far worse.

Reaction Score
Anybody crying over this d!ckhead losing his team needs to do some research on his past dealings and understand how his real life racism affected people's lives. Silver can say that that didn't play a part in this decision, but this lifetime ban was correcting a wrong that Stern didn't have the balls to do back then.

Isn't this the same guy who employed a black GM for 22 years at a time when there was only 1 other black GM in the league? And a colossal failure of a GM at that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom