OT, sorta: UConn fires Kevin Ollie | The Boneyard

OT, sorta: UConn fires Kevin Ollie

Reaction Score
Yes. On the men’s side, The American can be a really good conference and it needs UCONNMBB to return to its standard as a top-10 program. It’s tough to follow a legend...and this is more evidence. Yes, he won a NC, but with Calhoun’s recruits, and most importantly, a DYNAMIC, NBA caliber, senior PG, Shabazz Napier.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Yes. On the men’s side, The American can be a really good conference and it needs UCONNMBB to return to its standard as a top-10 program. It’s tough to follow a legend...and this is more evidence. Yes, he won a NC, but with Calhoun’s recruits, and most importantly, a DYNAMIC, NBA caliber, senior PG, Shabazz Napier.
And Ryan Boatright, Deandre Daniels, and 7-0 Amida Brimah. No talent like that on this team.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Firing Ollie for Cause means that UConn won't owe Ollie for the Remainder of his Contract. Don't know who the AD will hire. Its an important hire if the Men's Team is going to get back to upper echelon.

Some have previously suggested Geno take over the Men's program. I don't think Geno will consider it as the Cupboard is bare on the Men's team. If he's unable to turn the program around in a Year or two it would hurt Geno's Brand and his recognition as one of the Best Coaches in the country regardless of the fact he coaches a Women's Basketball Team. He's got a pretty good cupboard with his women's team that will ensure success for years to come.

Reaction Score
Steve Pikiell should be considered... KO did have Calhouns recruits but Jim didnt coach them for 2 years! Calhoun retired and left the program in bad shape!

Reaction Score
Oh that is really too bad. He is a cool guy, and dedicated to the school.

Reaction Score
Although this termination was necessary, I still feel bad for Ollie. Here was a guy who bleeds blue, works his butt off and even won us a National championship albeit with many Calhoun recruits. I don’t know why it turned around so quickly.

Reaction Score
Don't be surprised if WBB competitors use this against Geno in recruiting even though it has nothing to do with the women's program..............

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Don't be surprised if WBB competitors use this against Geno in recruiting even though it has nothing to do with the women's program....
This isn’t the men’s first time at the NCAA rodeo although rumors are that the so called infractions are minor, something to do with too many practices

Reaction Score
Firing Ollie for Cause means that UConn won't owe Ollie for the Remainder of his Contract.

But only if a judge/jury agrees with UConn's contention. I wouldn't be surprised to see UConn agree to a smaller buyout at some point. Obviously depends on if there is conclusive evidence on major NCAA violations.

Reaction Score
This isn’t the men’s first time at the NCAA rodeo although rumors are that the so called infractions are minor, something to do with too many practices

other then paying for a recruits bagel, that's got to be one of the most innocuous infractions I've heard of in a long time

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Firing Ollie for Cause means that UConn won't owe Ollie for the Remainder of his Contract. Don't know who the AD will hire. Its an important hire if the Men's Team is going to get back to upper echelon.

No it doesn't. The "for cause" part is about leverage in negotiating a buyout settlement that is south of $10 million.

The actual cause is sheer incompetence in every aspect of running a basketball program and coaching a team, all of which led to losing. This needed to happen. Big hire for AD Dave.

Last edited:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Agree with Cat. I'm so glad Ollie is gone. I have no idea what was going on with the inner workings of the program, but he went from National Championship to irrelevance in 4 short years. I'm not sure how many kids will transfer or decommit (one has done so already), but if they hire a new coach fairly quickly, it will give him a chance to make his pitch to the current players and recruits.

And I sure hope the AD looks WELL beyond the UCONN coaching tree. There is literally no one, past or present associated with UCONN men's hoops that I'd like to see as the new head coach. Either a great up and coming assistant from somewhere good, or a solid young coach from a mid-major who has done excellent things at a smaller university and is ready to step up to the big time.

Reaction Score
There is always Becky Hammond of the San Antonio Spurs for the men's team coach. If that does not do it. Then UConn should settle on Rick Pitino who knows how to both recruit and win.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
There is always Becky Hammond of the San Antonio Spurs for the men's team coach. If that does not do it. Then UConn should settle on Rick Pitino who knows how to both recruit and win.
If Becky doesn't get the Colorado State job, I like this idea (not Pitino).

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Don't be surprised if WBB competitors use this against Geno in recruiting even though it has nothing to do with the women's program....
If that criminally repulsive insult to women out in Waco didn't hurt Mulkey and that dumpster fire down on Rocky Top didn't hurt Holly, I don't see how this hurts Geno at all.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
What are the chances that the Athletic department would do better than Pasqualoni and Diaco?
I think pretty good since it has to be statistically impossible to reach that level of ineptitude a third time.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
other then paying for a recruits bagel, that's got to be one of the most innocuous infractions I've heard of in a long time

Jerry "Tark the Shark" Tarkanian, had a tussle with the NCAA for 26 years, he was accused of buying a hamburger for a player, which he admitted to doing, because the player was hungry and didn't have enough money on him. Tark was put on probation for the incident, it was while he was the coach at Long Beach. He had a famous quote for the NCAA's way of administering justice between the have's and have-not's, "The NCAA was so mad at Kentucky they gave Cleveland State two more years of probation." He would use different variations of this quote using UCLA or UNC, etc. If you look at just recently the UNCheats scandal, I guess he was correct.

Reaction Score
What does one have to do with the other?

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Jerry "Tark the Shark" Tarkanian, had a tussle with the NCAA for 26 years, he was accused of buying a hamburger for a player, which he admitted to doing, because the player was hungry and didn't have enough money on him. Tark was put on probation for the incident, it was while he was the coach at Long Beach. He had a famous quote for the NCAA's way of administering justice between the have's and have-not's, "The NCAA was so mad at Kentucky they gave Cleveland State two more years of probation." He would use different variations of this quote using UCLA or UNC, etc. If you look at just recently the UNCheats scandal, I guess he was correct.
I remember. Tark was lovable because he loved the guys and the game he coached and would do as much as he could for either of them.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom