OT, sorta: UConn fires Kevin Ollie | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT, sorta: UConn fires Kevin Ollie

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I remember. Tark was lovable because he loved the guys and the game he coached and would do as much as he could for either of them.

Ask any of his former players and not one of them has something bad to say about the guy. He was loved by the Vegas community, and to this day many people believe the phantom foul call on Greg Anthony in the second Duke - UNLV championship game was done on purpose.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Ask any of his former players and not one of them has something bad to say about the guy. He was loved by the Vegas community, and to this day many people believe the phantom foul call on Greg Anthony in the second Duke - UNLV championship game was done on purpose.
As do I. But we know why that was.

Reaction Score
If I hadn't heard this on the news I wouldn't have known. Just thought it might be good to mention here.

Reaction Score
It's a shame because Ollie does love UConn - but a change had to be made. The men's program has slipped badly and can't afford to keep going. "For Cause" is tricky - they have no money to pay the buyout. This isn't going to end well.

And that is the point of it. If the school had any class, they'd just fire him, pay whatever his contract called for and get on with the next guy. Oops, guess we made a wrong decision and it's costing us. The "For Cause" is BS - generally a loophole you can drive a truck through. Basically the AD is hoping to make points with his bosses for tough negotiating, saving the school money, etc. Better think that through. The next coach you try to hire will probably have a better lawyer working on his contract.

Reaction Score
Although this termination was necessary, I still feel bad for Ollie. Here was a guy who bleeds blue, works his butt off and even won us a National championship albeit with many Calhoun recruits. I don’t know why it turned around so quickly.
I have to think his divorce really hurt. Happens to good people too.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Serious question; No matter how good a coach is, as a coach, is it actually possible, as things stand today in the men's game, to compete with the Louisvilles and Kys and Dukes, etc., IF you follow the rules and don't buy any players? I really don't see how it could be done, if first-class players are going for $100k and up.

Reaction Score
Agree with Cat. I'm so glad Ollie is gone. I have no idea what was going on with the inner workings of the program, but he went from National Championship to irrelevance in 4 short years. I'm not sure how many kids will transfer or decommit (one has done so already), but if they hire a new coach fairly quickly, it will give him a chance to make his pitch to the current players and recruits.

And I sure hope the AD looks WELL beyond the UCONN coaching tree. There is literally no one, past or present associated with UCONN men's hoops that I'd like to see as the new head coach. Either a great up and coming assistant from somewhere good, or a solid young coach from a mid-major who has done excellent things at a smaller university and is ready to step up to the big time.

I haven't lived in CT for over 20 years - but there are many factors that have nothing to do with KO.

He's proven he can coach - not an issue.

Recruiting? He was suddenly reduced to recruiting for the AAC instead of the Big East. HUGE impact. For you younger fans - Jim Calhoun used to recruit players to come to UConn so they would get a chance to play against Georgetown.

IMHO the administration would be better served to try to affiliate with a more adventitious conference than firing KO.

ocoandasoc

Fan of MizzoUConn
Reaction Score
The "For Cause" is BS... just a negotiating tactic and a PR statement to soften the blow for Herbst having to tell a cash-strapped State that UConn has to swallow $10 million on what many might view as her mistake.

On another note....

Way too much was expected of Ollie, a rookie head coach. His .617 winning percentage for his first six years looks pretty good when compared to some other big-time coaches. Jim Calhouns winning percentage at UConn in his first five years was .609, and he had 14 years of prior experience at Northeastern (where he had an overall losing record from 1973 to 1979). After seven years at UConn his winning percentage was at .607 -- 10 points lower than Ollie's.

Recruiting for an AAC team in basketball is almost as tough as it is for football. And it's hard to win 70% of your games against tough competition with few if any Top 20 caliber players on your roster.

UConn's next coach better be an established world-class recruiter -- and there aren't many available. (There may be even fewer when the latest NCAA/FBI investigation is completed!) And anyone counting on Herbst and the AD getting this next hire right is probably going to be disappointed.

Reaction Score
And that is the point of it. If the school had any class, they'd just fire him, pay whatever his contract called for and get on with the next guy. Oops, guess we made a wrong decision and it's costing us. The "For Cause" is BS - generally a loophole you can drive a truck through. Basically the AD is hoping to make points with his bosses for tough negotiating, saving the school money, etc. Better think that through. The next coach you try to hire will probably have a better lawyer working on his contract.

If he is found to have committed serious NCAA violations, that is a legitimate firing for cause. It is specifically included in almost every coaches' contract as a reason to terminate the contract.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Although this termination was necessary, I still feel bad for Ollie. Here was a guy who bleeds blue, works his butt off and even won us a National championship albeit with many Calhoun recruits. I don’t know why it turned around so quickly.

As an impartial observer, I think it's because it isn't as easy to recruit in the AAC as it was in the Big East. Also, you don't have any natural rivals in the AAC, which would help recruiting, too. Players like to play in big games.

Reaction Score
If he is found to have committed serious NCAA violations, that is a legitimate firing for cause. It is specifically included in almost every coaches' contract as a reason to terminate the contract.

Sure, but define "serious". As long as everyone agrees in advance of the definitions, no problem. I guess we'll see as it evolves.

Reaction Score
Yeah, they were in such bad shape they won a Championship.
Calhoun left in September of 2012 because he didnt want to miss the games that he was suspended for that year! Also he wanted his guy in there to take over and forced Warde Manuels hand! Also Uconn couldnt play in the Big East or NCAA Tournament that year or the players who transferred out after the 2011 NC! Ollies teams had trouble every year to win 20 games! Yes bad shape! I hope Benedict doesnt hire Calhoun back because he is to old and the 2nd act hardly ever succeeds!

Reaction Score
Calhoun left in September of 2012 because he didnt want to miss the games that he was suspended for that year! Also he wanted his guy in there to take over and forced Warde Manuels hand! Also Uconn couldnt play in the Big East or NCAA Tournament that year or the players who transferred out after the 2011 NC! Ollies teams had trouble every year to win 20 games! Yes bad shape! I hope Benedict doesnt hire Calhoun back because he is to old and the 2nd act hardly ever succeeds!

You don't know what you are talking about. They couldn't play in the tournaments because they were punished TWICE for the same infraction. Calhoun left them with players good enough to win a National Championship and they did. You can't say they were left in bad shape when they when a championship.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Steve Pikiell should be considered... KO did have Calhouns recruits but Jim didnt coach them for 2 years! Calhoun retired and left the program in bad shape!
and Ollie "recruited/scouted" plenty of "Calhoun players"... they came to UConn because of Ollie

Reaction Score
You don't know what you are talking about. They couldn't play in the tournaments because they were punished TWICE for the same infraction. Calhoun left them with players good enough to win a National Championship and they did. You can't say they were left in bad shape when they when a championship. Idiotic.
Seems to me you dont know much about anything! Calhoun left him a young team and they lost Alex Oriachi and Roscoe Smith. KO great Motivator lousy Coach! I forgot more about basketball than you even know!

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I haven't lived in CT for over 20 years - but there are many factors that have nothing to do with KO.

He's proven he can coach - not an issue.

Recruiting? He was suddenly reduced to recruiting for the AAC instead of the Big East. HUGE impact. For you younger fans - Jim Calhoun used to recruit players to come to UConn so they would get a chance to play against Georgetown.

IMHO the administration would be better served to try to affiliate with a more adventitious conference than firing KO.
good points... and I wonder if they were losing funds from Ollie being the coach instead of Calhoun

Reaction Score
Seems to me you dont know much about anything! Calhoun left him a young team and they lost Alex Oriachi and Roscoe Smith. KO great Motivator lousy Coach! I forgot more about basketball than you even know!

Yup, don't know what you are talking about. A mumu.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
There is always Becky Hammond of the San Antonio Spurs for the men's team coach. If that does not do it. Then UConn should settle on Rick Pitino who knows how to both recruit and win.

Pitino could very easily become subject to an NCAA show cause order. He's the last thing we need...an instant batch of sanctions waiting to happen. And it's Becky Hammon, not Hammond. She'd be an interesting choice, but she's got an inside possibility of becoming the head men's coach at her alma mater, Colorado State.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score

Benedict needs to make some brownie points because everything in the contract is his responsibility. It was his deal.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom