OT--songs by women who rock | Page 9 | The Boneyard

OT--songs by women who rock

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
This is probably stretching it a little bit as far as "rocking," but something unique I like. I have no idea how to categorize it. Plenty of bands utilize more than one vocalist and feature some harmonies, but I can't think of anyone else that has this approach of 2 lead vocalists singing lead together on every song. And they have an interesting visual approach, going w/ matching outfits, hairstyles and makeup so they are like mirror images of each other. Except one is quite a bit taller. I got introduced to them from their cameo on HBO's "Roadies" (that show got treated so unfairly, much better than critics gave it credit for and unceremoniously cancelled after 1 season).

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I've looked through the thread given myself a dope slap (we deserve a collective one, IMO). Dusty Springfield might not be everybody's cup o' tea, but she was one of the all-time great rockin' ladies, who always put forth full effort. "Look of Love" has gotta be one of the best vocal performances, but I give you one of her rockers:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Last one this year, I promise. The Shaggs were a trio of sisters whose father thought they were destined for greatness. He paid for them to record an album and for 1000 copies to be pressed. They're often cited as the worst group ever, but Frank Zappa thought they were great. I discovered them when they were the subject of the Not My Job quiz on Wait Wait Don't Tell Me. Here's my favorite cut, note the lack of coordination among the drums, guitars, and vocals:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Last one this year, I promise. The Shaggs were a trio of sisters whose father thought they were destined for greatness. He paid for them to record an album and for 1000 copies to be pressed. They're often cited as the worst group ever, but Frank Zappa thought they were great. I discovered them when they were the subject of the Not My Job quiz on Wait Wait Don't Tell Me. Here's my favorite cut, note the lack of coordination among the drums, guitars, and vocals:

That's quite a "note" to end on. :cool:

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score

I "liked" this but only because it made me laugh so much.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
This offering is because of the uniqueness of instrumentation.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Bumping this again. Keep stumbling into different sub genres of metal. Now I'm exploring folk/pagan. A bit of an odd mashup, but it works. I can do without the growling or guttural vocal style some of the bands use, but as long as it's what they call clean vocals I'm digging it. Like this.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
My favorite Lost 45, a great song that never made the Top 40. It has it all clever lyrics, good hook, great bass.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Camera Obscura, a Scottish band fronted by Tracyanne Campbell who also takes on most of the song writing duties.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

OMG can you ever unhear that?

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
OMG can you ever unhear that?

Oh, like you could do better. . . JK, I'm sure you can. ;)

One song at a time they're humorous, but the whole album is just too much. I did it once, just because Zappa liked them. I gotta admit, I do enjoy My Pal Foot Foot.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom