OT--songs by women who rock

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
An unusually upbeat (the music, not the lyrics) song from Janis Ian:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Here's Mimi Farina doing the last song that Richard wrote, recorded after he died. God, I wish he'd lived a few more years. Also, those Baez girls are/were really good singers and guitarists.

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I don't know if she's right outta the 50's, but she could be. Brings to mind some others.

Had to look her up. Started in the mid 90's, still active. Fronted her own band at first now she's in a band w/ her husband and fellow blues musician Derek Trucks.

Reaction Score
Had to look her up. Started in the mid 90's, still active. Fronted her own band at first now she's in a band w/ her husband and fellow blues musician Derek Trucks.
saw her at Jorgensen in 2003. TTB played Simsbury Performing Arts Center last July. Playing at Xfinity in Hartford on July 6.

Reaction Score

Great band. Trucks was a longtime member of the Allman Brothers Band and they definitely draw from that well.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Sorry y'all, bumping this again because I keep finding more bands I like. Still going down the goth/symphonic metal well.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
The first several times I heard this song I thought for sure it was Amy Lee from Evanescence, but it's not.

It's kinda funny, there seem to be several standard poses or dance moves the lead singers utilize in this genre.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I've posted them before, but I really dig her voice (Sharon den Adel). This isn't an official video but someone has posted quite a few of their songs edited together w/ scenes from movies or tv shows. This is from Game of Thrones featuring Khaleesi and her dragons. The song seems to fit very well.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
One more.

It hasn't escaped my attention that the lead singers in these bands tend to be beautiful. But I really don't think they are picked just for their looks, I don't think you can get by in this genre without some serious pipes.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Here are a couple out of left field. This one is Amalia Rodrigues, viewed by many as the best Fado singer since the original, whose name escapes. Fado is from Portugal, often about women waiting for their men to come back from the sea, often with very dark melodies.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
And one by Christina Branco, who's keeping the Fado tradition alive, but whose approach isn't necessarily traditional. Her combos are often bigger than the traditional guitarra and guitar, plus she does some more upbeat stuff like this.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
It hasn't escaped my attention that the lead singers in these bands tend to be beautiful. But I really don't think they are picked just for their looks, I don't think you can get by in this genre without some serious pipes.

As you say, nobody's singing prog metal because she's beautiful, but I'll take it a step further. Someone like Floor Jansen or Sharon den Adel (was literally looking for something of hers to post when I saw your post) isn't necessarily purely physically beautiful; a lot of their beauty is in what they do.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Thanks for the intro to Fado. That's new for me.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom