OT--songs by women who rock | The Boneyard

OT--songs by women who rock

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
This is open to interpretation of course. I'm thinking hard rock/heavy metal, but it could be more inclusive than that. Also thinking lead vocalist, doesn't have to be an all female band. Or if you happen to know a female instrumentalist who totally kicks a**, that could work too. I know the Runaways were considered pioneers, and several of them went solo eventually. I'll start with some stuff that came along later.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
warning: may not be work safe

as a side note, in a previous incarnation the lead singer was an actress; when she was quite a bit younger she played Cindy Lou Who in the Jim Carey live action version of The Grinch Who Stole Christmas

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Back in 1971, when I was a senior in college (Holy Cross), the college social committee brought in a band that no one had heard of, and these guys really rocked out. Having never heard jazz/blues rock before -- or at least having not paid much attention to it beyond Blood, Sweat and Tears and Chicago, I was blown away. The band was called Genya Ravan and Ten Wheel Drive, and I had never heard anything like that. Turns out, Genya, whose real name was Genyusha and whose mother tried to Americanize that into Goldie, had the self-proclaimed first successful all-girls rock band starting in the 60s, Goldie and the Gingerbreads (who knew?), who toured with the Stones, among others.

Anyway, this is the only one I remember from those days, but there are others on line if you're curious. In a lot of ways, though, you had to see them to believe them.

Reaction Score
Yep. A number of folks thought there were similarities in the style and voice, but Ravan came out of more of a Jazz-Blues background, while Joplin's background was more country-rock, it seems to me.

Reaction Score
And if you don't know Kim Shattuck of The Muffs, you should. She does it all: a pop/rocknroll/punk songwriting machine who pens all the lyrics and music; plays lead and rhythm guitar (as the occasion requires); sings lead; and has the greatest sandpaper scream and growl ever to escape the female larynx. An exemplary showman with terrific energy and stage presence. Still touring, recording and cranking it out 26 years after first forming the band.

Think The Ramones by way of Jean Louise Finch.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom