OT Running | The Boneyard

OT Running

Reaction Score
I restarted a very meager running program
53 years old
I’ve been doing walking only for 18 months since I found out I had a condition.
But my doctor is allowing me to go full boat to what I can handle
My workout
2 minutes 4 mph
2 minutes 7.5 mph
Then repeat back to 4-7.5
I do this for 18 minutes
Drop back to 3.5 mph for 30 sec
Then run the last 90 sec at 10 mph comes out to close to even walk / run
I’m completely shot at this point
My goal over the next year is to move for more time at the 7.5 intervals less at the brisk walk and I’m hoping to be able to do 3 minutes by next year to end it. I like the 20 min for me. Not interested in further
Any thoughts or advice on this? Thanks

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
God bless. I'm 50 and was just telling my nephew that the next time I run there will be a bear very close behind. I honestly can't remember the last time I ran or even walked briskly. I used to enjoy it and then one day I didn't.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Maybe similar situation. Really haven't done anything for 7-8 years now and I wanted to get in to better cardio conditioning. If I lose weight, great, but that's not the goal. Want to get better cardio shape.

Started using treadmill for first time in my life. Still taking a lot of getting used to for running. Walking is easy. Trying to get in to a rhythm for running is still weird. Use a tablet and have been watching a bunch of stuff on You Tube TV while using it.

I'm on a 60 minute time cycle now with 8 minutes walk and 2 minutes run. I'm doing this for one more week and then I'll go to 7 minute walk and 3 minute run. Goal is by end of February to be 60/40 walk/run for 60 minutes 4-5 days a week. Have also been using some free weights and a curl bar to work on some strength work.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
53 years old
My workout
2 minutes 4 mph
2 minutes 7.5 mph
I do this for 18 minutes
My goal over the next year is to move for more time at the 7.5 intervals less at the brisk walk and I’m hoping to be able to do 3 minutes by next year to end it. I like the 20 min for me. Not interested in further

I tried something similar years ago. Less scientific, more by feel, I basically counted streetlights as distance markers and tried to gradually increase how many I could run vs brisk walk. It did improve. I know my brisk walk is around 3.5 to 4 from treadmills. When running I did a crap job pacing myself.

My only advice is: wear the right shoes and pay attention to what hurts or stops you from running further. Lungs, feet, quads, calves, shins, hamstrings. My efforts ended with plantar fasciitis in both feet that was very debilitating. For shoes, has anybody analyzed your gait? How much you pronate or possibly supinate? Heel strike, midfoot or forefoot? It’s pretty easy to wreck something running in the wrong shoes.

Reaction Score
I am 52 and have been running regularly for almost 25 years. But over the last few years, I have have gotten more into the science of running/cardio health as I have trained for several half marathons and marathons.

My recommendation is to follow a training plan. Even if you do not run an actual race (but you should), there is much to be learned. The key is not how fast you are running (pace/speed) but effort (heart rate). Running (or walking with running intervals) in the right heart rate/effort range will get you in the best shape, allow you to eventually run faster, and will keep you from getting hurt. The best advice I got when I started seriously training was “run slow to run fast”. It seems counter productive but it has been 100% accurate. Running slow will improve your cardio and will in turn help you eventually run faster. It will also help you keep from getting hurt and frankly, make running more enjoyable.

I can elaborate and/or answer any specific questions you have.

ETA: I agree with @HuskyHawk, go to a running store and have them analyze your stride/gait for the right running shoe - even if you are a walker. They will give you some suggestions for which shoe type best fits you.

Last edited:

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Maybe similar situation. Really haven't done anything for 7-8 years now and I wanted to get in to better cardio conditioning. If I lose weight, great, but that's not the goal. Want to get better cardio shape.

Started using treadmill for first time in my life. Still taking a lot of getting used to for running. Walking is easy. Trying to get in to a rhythm for running is still weird. Use a tablet and have been watching a bunch of stuff on You Tube TV while using it.

I'm on a 60 minute time cycle now with 8 minutes walk and 2 minutes run. I'm doing this for one more week and then I'll go to 7 minute walk and 3 minute run. Goal is by end of February to be 60/40 walk/run for 60 minutes 4-5 days a week. Have also been using some free weights and a curl bar to work on some strength work.

I'm in pretty good physical shape for my age but had a serious cardio deficiency in my life. I can't do a treadmill, bought one and gave it to my niece two weeks later. May sound weird to some but I started driving to St. Peter's Cemetery in Danbury 3 times a week and I walk the lanes. I was surprised how many people were there who had the idea way before me. I thought it would be creepy simply because of the fact that it's a cemetery.

But, it's a peaceful walk, headphones on. I stop every day for a minute or two to visit with my buddy who died in a car accident Sophomore year of HS.

Bottom line, to 40+ By'ers, find a way to move around every day.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
53 years old
My workout
2 minutes 4 mph
2 minutes 7.5 mph
I do this for 18 minutes
First, yay! Good for you.

Second, that is the oddest running plan I have ever seen. Is it your own creation?

If so, can I recommend that you look up a couch to 5K plan? Those will start you on a walk-run program that starts off more walk heavy and gradually pushes the slider towards running.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Well I am 70 and used to be a runner (5 marathons and three half ironmans). Arthritis and meniscus tears in both knees have me walking now at 10,000 steps a day. I will go out twice a week for a 5K walk/jog where I am trying to increase the percentage of time spent jogging. I can do about 2/3 without post pain/swelling. I agree with Fishy that you might want to set a goal for a 5K and then work up to it. Mean time I swim 3-5 times a week and get some long rides on my bike in. And my golf game has not gotten much better though with increased playing time!

Reaction Score
Age 62, was a serious runner for 35 years. Arthroscopic surgeries on both knees. Got to be a 5 mile jog would make my knees ache. Plus, slowing down from 7 minute miles to 10 over the years was discouraging. Switched to road cycling in my late 50's and love it, still setting PRs. However, chance of accidents and serious injury is greater with biking vs jogging, I speak from experience there.

For advice, I recommend forget the intervals and just work up to 5 minute jogs, even it it takes an hour to complete. Do that 3x/wk, and that will keep you in excellent cardiovascular condition.

Reaction Score
Age 62, was a serious runner for 35 years. Arthroscopic surgeries on both knees. Got to be a 5 mile jog would make my knees ache. Plus, slowing down from 7 minute miles to 10 over the years was discouraging. Switched to road cycling in my late 50's and love it, still setting PRs. However, chance of accidents and serious injury is greater with biking vs jogging, I speak from experience there.

For advice, I recommend forget the intervals and just work up to 5 minute jogs, even it it takes an hour to complete. Do that 3x/wk, and that will keep you in excellent cardiovascular condition.
5 mile jogs, I mean.

Reaction Score

Second, that is the oddest running plan I have ever seen. Is it your own creation?

If so, can I recommend that you look up a couch to 5K plan? Those will start you on a walk-run program that starts off more walk heavy and gradually pushes the slider towards running.
I’m in the same age band and I’ve done couch to 5k twice now. Very easy and not a physically taxing or painful process. Amazingly simple.

Reaction Score
Buy a bike. You'll avoid all of that lower body impact related wear and tear. You can get the same high and benefits to your cardio.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
All these injuries reported make me feel pretty good about my decision to do my 5Ks on the rower, and use it for high intensity cardio. I already have foot, knee and hip problems and every time I try running again I end up stopping due to some injury. Love the walking though, if we can ever get decent weather for it.

Reaction Score
I used to run & even did a couple of marathons- had mild plantar fasciitis & stopped, and haven’t picked it up again. Basically a case of been there, done that why I didn’t resume, plus had total knee replacement 4 months ago (unrelated to running).

I might take it up again, but like before, I won’t overdue it. I only ran about 3 times per week, my training run was about 3 miles, enough to be in good shape. To start, I ran 3-4telephone poles, walked next one, then continued- eventually, it becomes all running.

I never ran every day like some runners do, always felt it would increase chance of injuries. And for times when I decided to run longer distance, I’d start to increase my weekend training run an extra 1/2 mile each Saturday, but still doing the regular 3 mile training runs the other days. My first marathon happened that way- my Saturday runs kept getting longer, 5 miles and 10 and 15 etc. I got to 17 miles one Saturday, doing the W Hartford reservoir run over & over, thought “ I’m in the best shape of my life”, and signed up for Hartford Marathon the day before which was following week (It was 1988 I think).

I completed it too in just over 4 hours. My advice for marathons, see what kind of legs you have that day- being new for me, I started at an easy pace that felt like I could continue running all day at that pace. At the 1 mile time clock, I was 9 min exact. I was easily able to keep running at that pace, was 90 minutes at 10 miles, did slow up a little last few miles. I did another marathon Ia couple of years later, I trained more, but started race thinking I need to be at certain pace instead of seeing what legs I had that day. I was slower than wanted at time clocks (race was more crowded too) & forced the pace, and even though I had trained better, I ended up 10 minutes slower & had to walk a bit too. So, see what kind of legs you have for a marathon or longer race.

Long post- maybe I miss running more than I realize! Also, I might want to continue old quest to run in all 50 states (has to be 3 miles to count). I’m at 38 so far- Alaska, Hawaii, upper Midwest and couple southern states left to do.

Reaction Score
I'm starting a running program too. Was turned on to couch to 5k program so I downloaded the app and gonna try it out for the next 8 weeks.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score

Took a Camaro head on and lived to tell the story! You are right about that. I had a plastic trash bag blow across the road during a hill climb this past summer and it got caught up in my derailor and I went down hard. Bruises and scrapes everywhere. It does hurt more at 70 and I also don't heal as fast! Good advice about the 5 minute jogs!

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Follow the 10% rule - don’t increase your mileage/total distance more than 10% per week. Agreed on the running shoes. And cap your mileage at 400-500 per pair.

I am mid 40’s and had been running half marathons until I tore my calf during one in 2018. I had rehabbed back to 20 miles per week, a year ago only to develop tingling in my feet and occasional loss of sensitivity in the top of my left thigh - probably my L4-L5 herniated disc. I finished another round of PT and at this point I’m just trying to combine jog/walk and slowly increase to all jog without feeling pain or numbness. I’ll be fully vaccinated by next month and at that point I’m back to the gym as well.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
All these injuries reported make me feel pretty good about my decision to do my 5Ks on the rower, and use it for high intensity cardio. I already have foot, knee and hip problems and every time I try running again I end up stopping due to some injury. Love the walking though, if we can ever get decent weather for it.

The rower is the equipment I want to get. Have always been a fan of them. Great whole body workout without the strain on the body due to the impact of running.

Reaction Score

Yeah my own creation. Just a walk run regimen
I have a nasty condition called orthastatic hypotension where your bp drops when u stand. That’s y my md had me on walk only regimen. Because I tolerated 4 mph for 40 minutes we discussed some additional exercise and he said try 2 minute intervals. The 90 second 10 mph was not discussed. Just me trying to increase leg/ cardio end of workout. 20 min is my tops however when I add in the running. Anything more and I get light headed after trial error

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
The rower is the equipment I want to get. Have always been a fan of them. Great whole body workout without the strain on the body due to the impact of running.

There was a waitlist to get the Concept 2 when I ordered mine in July. Might want to sign up. Thing will last a lifetime. I love that I can do high intensity intervals or long at slower place, etc. Much less boring and monotonous than my treadmill.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I read that the physical benefit from running comes from the distance travelled, the pace is no factor. Except of course, the faster you run the more distance you can cover in a given amount of time. So track your mileage and let your body tell you what to do.

Reaction Score
If you are just starting out I wouldn't worry about changing pace so much. I would find a good pace and gradually increase the time/distance. If you only want to do 20 minutes then you can try to increase your pace but as you get more fit, I think you will want to run longer. The key is to avoid injury and rest when necessary. Also use a running app, I use Strava.

I've been running a long time and used to do a lot of 5ks, 10ks, and occasional 1/2s. Now I just go out and do my 30-40 minute runs and try to keep the pace under 9 minute miles but I need motivation, like doing 5ks again. 5ks are fun because they include the full range of runners, from extremely competitive to people who walk, and you always run faster in a group of runners.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom