OT Running | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT Running

back2BE4us

The Carpenter will carpent.
Reaction Score
Mrs. Diesel went to our local running shoe store and got the Hoka Clifton series.

Sales rep described the Clifton's as a Smore's where the marshmallow hasn't been melted and there is still some feedback where as the Bondi's are a melted marshmallow. Seems to match up to your description of maximum cushioning.
Right on. That description sounds about right. Hope they work out!

Reaction Score
Retired triathlete here. Great thread and advice.

I used Hal Higdon's free training plans when I started running. They were basic, easy, and simple. Hal Higdon - Time-Tested Training Programs for Marathons & More.

I had some heel problems and was told to move into sneakers with more cushion as I was using a minimalist style shoe and fell in love with Hoka's. They are a bit pricey but you can find deals on them at places like Road Runner Sports. I have two pairs I rotate when I wear sneakers. I live in Florida so flip flops dominate my life.

Someone also said that you should do a race if you follow a plan. I believe in that. Running was always a good community to be in and you might inspire some folks with your story.

And lastly, I wear a smartwatch. I had many watches in my running and tri years and Garmin is my favorite. The Garmin Venu is what I wear now and mainly use it to track my bike rides but it has so much more I utilize workout-wise and the Garmin Connect app and site is the jam if you want to see workout and health stats over time. I won't exercise without something on my wrist.

Chocolate milk is the best recovery drink as well as bourbon, beer, and Aleve, in case you need suggestions there. ?

Congrats and keep up the good work and don't forget to have fun along the way too. Cheers!

Reaction Score
I restarted a very meager running program
53 years old
I’ve been doing walking only for 18 months since I found out I had a condition.
But my doctor is allowing me to go full boat to what I can handle
My workout
2 minutes 4 mph
2 minutes 7.5 mph
Then repeat back to 4-7.5
I do this for 18 minutes
Drop back to 3.5 mph for 30 sec
Then run the last 90 sec at 10 mph comes out to close to even walk / run
I’m completely shot at this point
My goal over the next year is to move for more time at the 7.5 intervals less at the brisk walk and I’m hoping to be able to do 3 minutes by next year to end it. I like the 20 min for me. Not interested in further
Any thoughts or advice on this? Thanks
7.7 for 5 minutes straight tonight
Then walk 3.5-4 for the next 13 and then 10 mph for 2. This is with orthostatic hypotension. I’ve very pleased. The cold in my basement made my lungs hurt as well

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
7.7 for 5 minutes straight tonight
Then walk 3.5-4 for the next 13 and then 10 mph for 2. This is with orthostatic hypotension. I’ve very pleased. The cold in my basement made my lungs hurt as well

Nice work.

I did a 5 minute warm up with one of 1.0 and speed of 3.0 for first minute, 3.1 for a minute and then 3.3. Walked first 7 minutes and then ran for three at 4.5. Kept a 7/3 walk/run ratio and bumped run up to 4.6.

Got 3.62 miles in an hour and then slowed it down for a cool down and ended up with 3.75 in 65 minutes.

Nothing spectacular but I got first 3 miles done in under 50 minutes. That's a 7 minute improvement fr beginning of month.

Goal is by end of February to get below 16:15 miles.

I'm going first 4 months before I check any vitals for improvement on blood pressure. I can definitely feel shorts getting looser.

Doing 30 or 35 pounds on bicep curls and easy bench numbers. Have been doing basic squat, deadlift and clean and jerk but form is more important than weight right now.

Most importantly no pain in legs or feet.

Reaction Score
I’ve been running more during these times and staying injury free is my main concern. I have had my fair share of running injuries in the past and I think it’s more that running exposed that I had some imbalances & a lack of flexibility that made me more prone to injury.

Regularly stretching (hips especially) & using a foam roller seems to have helped & taking it slowly (don’t overstride) & not overdoing it has kept me good so far. I have considered going the Hoka route, but I have gone minimalist right now. It takes time to adapt, but I feel it it has improved my form & has kept me from overdoing things (you use your big muscles more). Right now I’m at a good weight & that helps a lot with running,

I no longer can just lace up my shoes and go - I will do some light stretching & rolling ahead of time & I wear knee & calf sleeves prophylactically. I used to quietly mock runners with all that stuff I have on, but whatever.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Ended up going up to the running store to get my own good running shoes a few weeks ago.

My customer experience representative, Misty, was very attentive to my needs. Not only did she pull up the shoe bench so she was facing me, she took off my current shoes and socks and gave my foot a good once over with her hands checking for soft tissue, muscle, bone, etc. When I tried to apologize that I hadn't had a pedi recently and I wasn't prepared to have my feet massaged, she had none of it. In one fell swoop I got her past relationship history, current status of single and a reassurance that she sees plenty of females with feet way more nasty than mine.
After a few questions she went back to the stock room and returned with Altras, Brooks and Hoka Cliftons.
Tried the Altras first and they had a wider toe area allowing for toes to spread out as you come down on them alleviating some strain on the toes. I liked them but the sole seemed to wide for me. If I have wide soled shoes I tend to get sloppy and run a bit on the outside of my feet-supination. Now, Misty was watching me walk these through the store and complimented my neutral stride, no pronating or suplinating, but I wasn't buying it.
The Hoka Clifton's were spot on. Narrower sole and definitely cushioned. Misty could see the joy in my face as soon as she slid them on my feet and laced them up. She gave me a gentle tap on the calf to raise my foot, untied the shoe, took it off and slid out the insole and slid in a nice Curex Run Pro High Profile insert. Oh, heaven. It was like the shoe was molded to my foot. Told her done deal, wrap it up.
Mrs. Diesel decided to get another pair of the Hokas in a different color from her first pair. They were out of stock so she was going to have to return to pick them up.

Fast forward a few days and I was so stoked at how the shoes felt on the treadmill I sent a text to Mrs. Diesel to grab me a few more of those Curex insoles when she goes to get her shoes so I can put them in all my shoes. At that point she informed me they were $50/set. Dr. Scholl's they are not.

It was at that point that I realized Miss Misty's seemingly harmless flirtacious attitude was nothing more than an attempt to upsell and get a better commission. It worked. And I don't feel bad about it.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Ended up going up to the running store to get my own good running shoes a few weeks ago.

My customer experience representative, Misty, was very attentive to my needs. Not only did she pull up the shoe bench so she was facing me, she took off my current shoes and socks and gave my foot a good once over with her hands checking for soft tissue, muscle, bone, etc. When I tried to apologize that I hadn't had a pedi recently and I wasn't prepared to have my feet massaged, she had none of it. In one fell swoop I got her past relationship history, current status of single and a reassurance that she sees plenty of females with feet way more nasty than mine.
After a few questions she went back to the stock room and returned with Altras, Brooks and Hoka Cliftons.
Tried the Altras first and they had a wider toe area allowing for toes to spread out as you come down on them alleviating some strain on the toes. I liked them but the sole seemed to wide for me. If I have wide soled shoes I tend to get sloppy and run a bit on the outside of my feet-supination. Now, Misty was watching me walk these through the store and complimented my neutral stride, no pronating or suplinating, but I wasn't buying it.
The Hoka Clifton's were spot on. Narrower sole and definitely cushioned. Misty could see the joy in my face as soon as she slid them on my feet and laced them up. She gave me a gentle tap on the calf to raise my foot, untied the shoe, took it off and slid out the insole and slid in a nice Curex Run Pro High Profile insert. Oh, heaven. It was like the shoe was molded to my foot. Told her done deal, wrap it up.
Mrs. Diesel decided to get another pair of the Hokas in a different color from her first pair. They were out of stock so she was going to have to return to pick them up.

Fast forward a few days and I was so stoked at how the shoes felt on the treadmill I sent a text to Mrs. Diesel to grab me a few more of those Curex insoles when she goes to get her shoes so I can put them in all my shoes. At that point she informed me they were $50/set. Dr. Scholl's they are not.

It was at that point that I realized Miss Misty's seemingly harmless flirtacious attitude was nothing more than an attempt to upsell and get a better commission. It worked. And I don't feel bad about it.
Take My Money GIF by memecandy

Curiouser
Reaction Score

Did you try the Brooks? Which ones were they? I alternate between the Brooks Adrenaline (currently the GTS 21) and Asics GT-2000 (currently the 9) for every other run. Haven't tried the Hoka yet but thinking I will check them out next time I am due for replacements.

I also got taken by a "Misty"-type at my local running store around three years ago. I think I am on my seventh pair of Curex Run Pros (Medium for me) since then. I only purchase them for my running shoes (once I settle on a model of running shoe, I replace them from Road Runner Sports, which has the best prices; and I replace the Curex inserts from Amazon), but I take the used ones out of my old running shoes and put them in some of my other shoes then.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Did you try the Brooks? Which ones were they? I alternate between the Brooks Adrenaline (currently the GTS 21) and Asics GT-2000 (currently the 9) for every other run. Haven't tried the Hoka yet but thinking I will check them out next time I am due for replacements.

I also got taken by a "Misty"-type at my local running store around three years ago. I think I am on my seventh pair of Curex Run Pros (Medium for me) since then. I only purchase them for my running shoes (once I settle on a model of running shoe, I replace them from Road Runner Sports, which has the best prices; and I replace the Curex inserts from Amazon), but I take the used ones out of my old running shoes and put them in some of my other shoes then.

I think there were a pair of Brooks but after I put on the Hokas I knew they were right for me.
Good call on recycling the Curex in to regular shoes. I think I'll try that.

For the record, I wasn't "taken" by Misty. I was a willing participant. Lol.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
I think there were a pair of Brooks but after I put on the Hokas I knew they were right for me.
Good call on recycling the Curex in to regular shoes. I think I'll try that.

For the record, I wasn't "taken" by Misty. I was a willing participant. Lol.
The asics gel nimbus I have been running with for the past many years (at least 10) are the same brand that I was fitted for at my local running store. I've swapped in cumulus but the nimbus have a softer landing which I need for my various middle-aged-man ailments. I don't know what the markup was at the store versus online or otherwise but that visit was worth its weight in gold (and that was without a "Misty").

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
Just got my first run of the year in yesterday. The run felt surprisingly good. We got a Peloton bike and I've got about 20 rides under my belt and that has helped in getting me back in some type of running shape. Last night I told my kids to start training for a half marathon. I'm 58 and don't know if I have more than one more in me. Hopefully we'll do a destination half marathon in late summer/early fall. Just waiting to see which ones open up. Any suggestions for races. All my halfs have been around Chicago except one in Indy. I run in Hoka Cliftons btw.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I can't really run anymore for a variety of reasons, but given several foot and knee pain issues over the years I have tried a lot of shoes for my "fast walking". Mizuno Wave Riders were what I wore when last tried to really run. While neutral and cushioned, they have a bit too much support for me. Nike Zoom Pegasus in W and Brooks Ghosts in W were my favorites until I found Saucony Ride ISO (and ISO 2) also 10W. The need for W really screws me on colors. Also, no Adidas can fit on my feet. The Ride ISOs have a sock liner type structure with no detached tongue that moves around.

Hey @Chin Diesel was the Mrs. along when you visited with Misty? I wonder how that might change the sales approach.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Sprint the straightaways, jog the curves. Repeat for a few hours.
When we had our cardio days for soccer, we’d jog a telephone pole, sprint a telephone pole, jog a telephone, sprint two telephone poles. Great workout

Reaction Score
Running lost some luster for me since seeing both my (former) runner parents develop knee issues. Dad has had a knee replaced now and mom is on track to. Good to see so many old-timers here who still run.

When I do run I try to stick to trails or off-road. The uneven terrain and turns really force me to slow down and engage my entire leg's worth of muscles. Its a different workout than I got in my high school XC days

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I can't really run anymore for a variety of reasons, but given several foot and knee pain issues over the years I have tried a lot of shoes for my "fast walking". Mizuno Wave Riders were what I wore when last tried to really run. While neutral and cushioned, they have a bit too much support for me. Nike Zoom Pegasus in W and Brooks Ghosts in W were my favorites until I found Saucony Ride ISO (and ISO 2) also 10W. The need for W really screws me on colors. Also, no Adidas can fit on my feet. The Ride ISOs have a sock liner type structure with no detached tongue that moves around.

Hey @Chin Diesel was the Mrs. along when you visited with Misty? I wonder how that might change the sales approach.
@HuskyHawk , Mrs. Diesel was more than happy to see me getting some shoes for fitness, browsing for her own pair of shoes and holding on to receipt from her last pair of shoes that were getting us a discount on my shoes. Threatened she did not feel.

Reaction Score
I do not and cannot run, but I brisk walk.

I also have plantar fasciitis, which seems to be in remission for the time being.

Does anyone have PF, and if so, what shoes do you wear that help alleviate or stave off PF recurrences?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom