OT - Ronda Rousey KO'd in the first | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT - Ronda Rousey KO'd in the first

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Royce Gracie is another example. Early on, no one could figure how to stay on their feet against him, and he was untouchable once he got them on the ground. Eventually, more well rounded fighters came along with the skills to handle him.

I avoided using Gracie as an example because they changed the rules dramatically and I think age caught up with him as well.

Dan Severn was someone in his prime at the beginning of UFC who never learned stand up.

Mirko Cro Crop never learned take down defense.

For the past 6-7 years you need to be world class in conditioning to fight at the correct weight class, and well versed in stand up, ground and pound and submissions and be able to defend all of them.

The closest analogy I can think of is baseball with pitchers and batters being able to go hard or off speed. If you have a weakness in either area you can't stay in the big leagues.

Reaction Score
Is it boxing or MMA. Did she get out MMA'ed or out boxed. Just asking.
It is not boxing. Boxers throw punches with lightening speed. MMA fighters not so much even with the smaller gloves. But this fight was all punches. Rousy's defense was horrible and after getting hit by the first punch she made a huge mistake by moving straight back making it easy for Nunes to charge forward and land combinations. Then didn't show the heart to come back. I got the feeling she just doesn't want to do this anymore.

Reaction Score
Her war of words with Mayweather were a lot more than just saying she could beat him up. It had to do with his treatment of women in which she was spot on. That is what I was referring to. Nobody in their right mind thinks she could beat up Floyd including Rhonda Im sure. Im guessing it was more of a statement of anger and disgust on her part on behalf of women but whatever.

The game has certainly passed Rousey bye but all the greats in MMA eventually get worked. It is the nature of the sport. Silva, GSP, Fedor...they all eventually lose and it is never pretty when they do. Hell Randy Couture lost a bunch. The young fighters are evolving and as the sport has grown there is now a worlwide talent pool. I am no Rousey apologist, but just because she is getting her handed to her now does not mean she is/was a fraud. She was the best for a while against the competition that was out there. That is something and probably more than any of us can say. As far as Cyborg goes, she is an animal but she gets busted for PED's at every turn and she never even attempted to make weight for Rouseys division. If they ever fought she would have taken Rousey's head off.
Revisionist history, I used to get in arguments with people who said Rousey could beat up Mayweather easily. It was seriously the most outlandish thing I've ever seen in sports. She believed it and her fanboys did as well. Not quite as stupid but I also had fanboys telling me McGregor would easily beat this guy.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Actually, she hasn't made much money. The big money was going to be from a fight with Cyborg Santos. Rousey is the female version of Mike Tyson. After Buster Douglas knocked him out, no one was afraid of him anymore.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I'm sure the woman who won last night will be quickly wiped out just like the last woman to beat her was - the talent pool is so tiny that it seems the next entrant into it is the greatest of all time.

Last night was basically a bar fight masquerading as a boxing match masquerading as an MMA fight. Rousey has zero boxing ability - zero. If you passed her a dinner roll, it would hit her in the jaw and knock her senseless.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Actually, she hasn't made much money. The big money was going to be from a fight with Cyborg Santos. Rousey is the female version of Mike Tyson. After Buster Douglas knocked him out, no one was afraid of him anymore.

She has made a fortune. She was guaranteed $3M last night and some cut of the PPV numbers.

I'm guessing she's made at least $25M in her careers.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
As far as disliking Rousey, after reading about how horribly she crap talked her last opponent (before getting her ass handed to her) I hoped for this outcome. She's a celebrity now, that will have to be enough.

Reaction Score
Revisionist history, I used to get in arguments with people who said Rousey could beat up Mayweather easily. It was seriously the most outlandish thing I've ever seen in sports. She believed it and her fanboys did as well. Not quite as stupid but I also had fanboys telling me McGregor would easily beat this guy.

I do not follow the sport but did people really believe Rousey could beat Mayweather? I mean there are people who think the UConn Women could beat the men so I know there is a high level of stupidity out there but this would take the cake.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
As far as disliking Rousey, after reading about how horribly she crap talked her last opponent (before getting her ass handed to her) I hoped for this outcome. She's a celebrity now, that will have to be enough.

She's nothing without the image of being a champion and invincible. Nobody in the world will give a crap about her now.

No movies , no endorsements, nothing. Someone said " well her future is in movies anyway"

No it's not. Have you seen her act? She even fails at playing herself ( see: entourage movie)

Like I said I hope she was smart with her money. If she was then she has a good life set up for herself, which isn't a terrible thing for 5 years of work. The mma fame well is about to run dry though.

Reaction Score
She has made a fortune. She was guaranteed $3M last night and some cut of the PPV numbers.

I'm guessing she's made at least $25M in her careers.
But on shows like PTI they discussed whether or not she could beat Floyd Mayweather and Dana White said she would "rag doll" him. Joe Rogan would state that she could beat half the male bantamweights in the ufc and felt like crying because it must have been what it was like to watch Muhammad Ali when she beat Cat Zingano in 11 seconds.

Those are just some of the things that made people loathe her, but yeah she made a ton of money for herself and the company, and mma in general benefited from her meteoric rise.

That Coach of hers is straight trash though and her mother kept telling her to leave him.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
She's nothing without the image of being a champion and invincible. Nobody in the world will give a crap about her now.

No movies , no endorsements, nothing. Someone said " well her future is in movies anyway"

No it's not. Have you seen her act? She even fails at playing herself ( see: entourage movie)

Like I said I hope she was smart with her money. If she was then she has a good life set up for herself, which isn't a terrible thing for 5 years of work. The mma fame well is about to run dry though.
Meh, I still see Chuck Lidell's ugly face everywhere, she will get some work.

Reaction Score
But on shows like PTI they discussed whether or not she could beat Floyd Mayweather and Dana White said she would "rag doll" him. Joe Rogan would state that she could beat half the male bantamweights in the ufc and felt like crying because it must have been what it was like to watch Muhammad Ali when she beat Cat Zingano in 11 seconds.

Those are just some of the things that made people loathe her, but yeah she made a ton of money for herself and the company, and mma in general benefited from her meteoric rise.

That Coach of hers is straight trash though and her mother kept telling her to leave him.
This is exactly why it's still a bit hard for me to take the sport seriously. It's run by fanboys who seem totally disconnected from reality. I was told for years that any boxer who stepped in the ring with any BJJ ground person would get murdered. Well it seems to me nowadays most fights end standing with someone getting their face punched in. Connor McGregor is by far the biggest star in the sport and he does it standing and striking. He figured out how to avoid getting taken down and most of his opponents just end up eating all his shots. Rousey is an idiot for listening to her coach the past year, she went standing toe to toe with two women she had zero chance of beating standing up. Never seen someone look so clueless trying to box, it's comical.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

I guess that's the nature of promotion, but I'm guessing on some level they knew she was strangling librarians and lunch ladies.

She's obviously a world-class athlete in whatever she won an Olympic medal in, but she's glacier-slow and has no idea what to do when someone throws a punch at her face. Having been in the USADA-testing protocol for a billion years probably didn't help either given that UFC all but encourages steriod-monsters. The two women who beat her shoved her around like a rag doll...

It's fairly obvious now, but the first Mayweather half-hearted jab would end any fight against Rousey. The first Mayweather straight right hand would end the fight against McGregor.

Reaction Score
This is exactly why it's still a bit hard for me to take the sport seriously. It's run by fanboys who seem totally disconnected from reality. I was told for years that any boxer who stepped in the ring with any BJJ ground person would get murdered. Well it seems to me nowadays most fights end standing with someone getting their face punched in. Connor McGregor is by far the biggest star in the sport and he does it standing and striking. He figured out how to avoid getting taken down and most of his opponents just end up eating all his shots. Rousey is an idiot for listening to her coach the past year, she went standing toe to toe with two women she had zero chance of beating standing up. Never seen someone look so clueless trying to box, it's comical.
It's a fun sport, I follow it pretty closely but believe 100 percent that these guys are crazy when they think they can beat a boxer at boxing. McGregor included. Nate Diaz choked him out once and just ran out of time the second time. He is a bit of a one trick pony himself. He has a killer, precise left cross. But these mma guys for the most part dont game plan for a particular opponent it seems. The way Eddie Alvarez fought him was like you'd expect a fool to fight him. Look for the ufc to really protect him now, that the Rousey pay per view bubble busted.

Reaction Score
I guess that's the nature of promotion, but I'm guessing on some level they knew she was strangling librarians and lunch ladies.

She's obviously a world-class athlete in whatever she won an Olympic medal in, but she's glacier-slow and has no idea what to do when someone throws a punch at her face. Having been in the USADA-testing protocol for a billion years probably didn't help either given that UFC all but encourages steriod-monsters. The two women who beat her shoved her around like a rag doll...

It's fairly obvious now, but the first Mayweather half-hearted jab would end any fight against Rousey. The first Mayweather straight right hand would end the fight against McGregor.
Someone of the girls she beat up on her way up were pretty accomplished. Sarah McMann was an Olympic silver medalist in wrestling. That's what made some of the hype real, but as others have said the talent pool was shallow. I expect Juliana Pena to emerge as champ shortly and to last for a while. She seems well rounded everywhere and is a bit of a nut job. I think she kicked a cop or a bouncer in the nuts while drunk.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Not only did she but into her own hype others did too. I had kids telling me that she could beat Mike Tyson in his dominant days. I'd tell them she couldn't be Mike Tyson today! And they'd actually try to really debate me. She believed her own hype and so did 90% of her fans. Most annoying and unrealistic thing I think I have ever witnessed in the sporting world.

Young Mike Tyson was the most violent (sanctioned) human being I've ever witnessed.

Mike was somebody who got to the top (grew up in real poverty and violence), and rested on his laurels and celebrity. I got the feeling he didn't care as much or train as hard. It appeared he became worse as he got older, largely through lack of effort.

Last edited:

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
But on shows like PTI they discussed whether or not she could beat Floyd Mayweather and Dana White said she would "rag doll" him. Joe Rogan would state that she could beat half the male bantamweights in the ufc and felt like crying because it must have been what it was like to watch Muhammad Ali when she beat Cat Zingano in 11 seconds

Dana White just doing his Don King there. He's not a , just an uber promoter. And Rogan is White's boy.

A lot of people just talk. Ask them to put their life, or even a million dollars, on a fight between Rousey and Mayweather, you'll get 100% on Mayweather. Maybe 99.9% because of Darwin.

Reaction Score
What does Mayweather's personal life have to do with Rousey saying she could beat him in a fight and some people actually believing it? Aaron Hernandez murdered people, it doesn't make me a better football player than him. . . . . . .As for Rousey, she was done after her last fight and this was just the final public humiliation. Should blame Dana White and her coach. She had no business being in the ring with Nunes and no business fighting that style against someone who actually knows how to box. Rousey is clueless on her feet, no head movement and once she gets tagged she keeps getting tagged.

Supposedly she had 10 million reason$ to be in the ring with Nunes. She got crushed and embarrased but she got FAT & MAD PAPER.

Reaction Score
Exactly, people are taking this stuff all too literal as if they never heard of promoting before. Many people will believe almost anything these days and Dana and the fighters use that. Look at our election for the love of pete. Someone who believes this stuff is already not grounded in reality so why bother trying to set them all straight.

Horatio

15 years no Madden
Reaction Score
It is not boxing. Boxers throw punches with lightening speed. MMA fighters not so much even with the smaller gloves. But this fight was all punches. Rousy's defense was horrible and after getting hit by the first punch she made a huge mistake by moving straight back making it easy for Nunes to charge forward and land combinations. Then didn't show the heart to come back. I got the feeling she just doesn't want to do this anymore.
From the highlights I saw it looked like Rousy was trying to do " traditional" MMA / Judo but that darn woman kept punching her face. She was trying to execute traditional martial arts but the young ladies fist kept getting in the way. Maybe she needs fist - free , non - facial MMA

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom