OT RIP Baseball - You deserve ZERO fans | The Boneyard

OT RIP Baseball - You deserve ZERO fans

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
38 degrees in Denver. Not a total excuse, but somewhat understandable.

Reaction Score
Kershaw pulled from a Perfect game today

7 IP, 80 pitches

Final straw for me. All I have left now is College hoops and Hockey. And college hoops is changing rapidly

Seems like a lousy decision unless Kershaw told his manager his arm was barking. Hardly a reason to give up the sport LOL. I couldn't care less about the Dodgers, I hope they lose the game.

Reaction Score
Seems like analytics ruined MLB even more than it has hurt the NBA. 2009 was the last season I followed baseball after being a huge fan my whole life to that point. I don't miss it one bit.

Reaction Score
They killed situational baseball with the 3 true outcome gameplan. Killed managerial strategy with the universal DH. Killed extra innings with the Manfred Man. Here’s evidence that the perfect game is probably dead too. Its not the same sport

Reaction Score
It's a week into the season with a shortened spring training, normally I hate it but in this case it makes sense
Kershaw has won 3 Cy Youngs, an MVP, a World Series but has never had a perfect game. He's earned the right to decide whether he's coming out or not when he's 6 outs away from his piece of history.

Could you imagine a manager trying to pull Nolan Ryan out in that position? The manager would probably end up with a black eye. Scherzer would probably punch the manager in the face too.

Reaction Score
I get pulling guys after 80 pitches in April in this case though keep him in, have a 6 man rotation skip his next start if you want have him on a short leash his next start get creative.

Reaction Score
They killed situational baseball with the 3 true outcome gameplan. Killed managerial strategy with the universal DH. Killed extra innings with the Manfred Man. Here’s evidence that the perfect game is probably dead too. Its not the same sport
I’m ok with the universal DH, extra inning rule is dumb, just have expanded rosters.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Kershaw has won 3 Cy Youngs, an MVP, a World Series but has never had a perfect game. He's earned the right to decide whether he's coming out or not when he's 6 outs away from his piece of history.

Could you imagine a manager trying to pull Nolan Ryan out in that position? The manager would probably end up with a black eye. Scherzer would probably punch the manager in the face too.

Ryan would have 14 walks, so I really can't imagine it.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
It's a week into the season with a shortened spring training, normally I hate it but in this case it makes sense

Not with a perfect game. A perfect game is one of the more rare, special and esteemed achievements in all of sports, at least to me.

To take away that opportunity from the individual, and from fans to witness it, whether its because Roberts is a tool, or because of metrics, or both, it really doesn't matter, it is a blatant thumb in the eye to the fans of a sport that more than any other relies on lineage.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I was already depressed about baseball ever since I read this nytimes article a few days ago:

(I agree with a ton of it, but I dont agree with the gov't stepping in, lol)

It's depressing. And then when the current game treated a potential perfect game with disdain today, I flipped.

Opinion | Baseball Is Dying. The Government Should Take It Over.

"Attendance at games has declined steadily since 2008 and viewership figures are almost hilariously bleak. An ordinary national prime-time M.L.B. broadcast, such as ESPN’s 'Sunday Night Baseball,' attracts some 1.5 million pairs of eyes each week, which is to say, roughly the number that are likely to be watching a heavily censored version of 'Goodfellas' on a basic cable movie channel in the same time slot".

"Even the World Series attracts smaller audiences than the average 'Thursday Night Football' broadcast, the dregs of the National Football League’s weekly schedule. In 1975, the World Series had an average of 36 million viewers per game; in 2021, it barely attracted 12 million per game"

"the game is increasingly irrelevant. The average age of a person watching a baseball game on television is 57, and one shudders to think what the comparable figure is for radio broadcasts. Typical American 10-year-olds are as likely to recognize Jorge Soler, who was named the most valuable player of last year’s World Series, as they are their local congressional representative"

"In some parts of the country, participation in Little League has decreased by nearly 50 percent in the past decade and a half."

Baseball was an obsession for me as a kid. It's just sad.

Reaction Score

Did Kershaw complain? I haven't seen but if he did my opinion might change

Reaction Score
The entire league is pulling starters with ~70 pitches thrown because of the short spring.

They did this to David Cone back in 1995 in his return game after his aneurysm. Same principle.

Reaction Score
I was already depressed about baseball ever since I read this nytimes article a few days ago:

It's depressing. And then when the current game treated a potential perfect game with disdain today, I flipped.

LOL. Is there anything the NY Times doesn't think the government should run ? Well, newspapers, for one, I'm sure.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

"Attendance at games has declined steadily since 2008 and viewership figures are almost hilariously bleak. An ordinary national prime-time M.L.B. broadcast, such as ESPN’s 'Sunday Night Baseball,' attracts some 1.5 million pairs of eyes each week, which is to say, roughly the number that are likely to be watching a heavily censored version of 'Goodfellas' on a basic cable movie channel in the same time slot".

"Even the World Series attracts smaller audiences than the average 'Thursday Night Football' broadcast, the dregs of the National Football League’s weekly schedule. In 1975, the World Series had an average of 36 million viewers per game; in 2021, it barely attracted 12 million per game"

"the game is increasingly irrelevant. The average age of a person watching a baseball game on television is 57, and one shudders to think what the comparable figure is for radio broadcasts. Typical American 10-year-olds are as likely to recognize Jorge Soler, who was named the most valuable player of last year’s World Series, as they are their local congressional representative"

"In some parts of the country, participation in Little League has decreased by nearly 50 percent in the past decade and a half."

Baseball was an obsession for me as a kid. It's just sad.
And yet revenues keep increasing.

Otherwise I agree.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom