OT: Rick Barnes | The Boneyard

OT: Rick Barnes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
“@ChipBrownHD: When I asked #Texas AD Steve Patterson if Rick Barnes would be back next season, he said, "I'm not talking."”

“@kbohls: Bohls: After another late collapse, it’s time for a coaching change http://post original url/SoGVuC5HUZ”

Reaction Score
He's gotta be gone, right?

It doesn't look like we were ever in with Eric Davis.
They offered him during the late spring but I don't recall the staff actively watching him during those live periods. His offer also provided more Boneyard comedy as the insiders said that this offer was a sign that things weren't looking good with Adams after Louisville had also just offered him...and then Adams visited and committed to UConn the very next day.

Reaction Score
Has there ever been a coach who has done less w/ more than Rick Barnes? Every year his team is loaded and every year they do nothing.

He couldn't even make the sweet 16 with Durant, DJ Augustin was on that team too.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Rick Barnes is one of the worst game day coaches in a major conference.

Reaction Score
He's been stealing money from Texas for 15 years. He can't say he hasn't had the best job in basketball. Lots of money, great facilities, tons of players in Texas, gets to live in a cool town, and for a decade and a half no one really cared if he won a thing.
Austin may very well be the greatest city in America. I will retire there. That being said, Frank Erwin is a pit that looks like a nuclear reactor from the outside on I-35. Texas does not care about hoops. At all. He should go, but nobody will ever win there. Too football centric

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Austin may very well be the greatest city in America. I will retire there. That being said, Frank Erwin is a pit that looks like a nuclear reactor from the outside on I-35. Texas does not care about hoops. At all. He should go, but nobody will ever win there. Too football centric

You shouldn't have to do too much to win though. A good basketball mind should be able to win. The city and school recruit themselves

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Barnes tries hard, but he doesn't quite crack my top three awful coaches.

1) Dave Rice
2) Steve Lavin
3) Leonard Hamilton
4) Rick Barnes

Reaction Score

1) Dave Rice
2) Steve Lavin
3) Leonard Hamilton
4) Rick Barnes
Lavin admitting he's a terrible conference tournament coach, and then being excited that a slow-em-down, rock-fighting San Diego State plays "an up and down game" like St. John's was just an absolute highlight of the year for me.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
My list (Active P5+BE+A10+AAC+MWC only):

1) Jim Crews has never been at a major program, but he is truly atrocious. He drove St. Louis off a cliff faster than the most pessimistic estimates thought possible.

2) Hamilton - he must have serious blackmail material, because he has never accomplished anything, anywhere he has been.

3) Gottfried - Fishy is losing his fastball. How did he miss Gottfried?

4) Herb Sendek - he has been at two decent programs for quite a while, and his win at Gampel on Wednesday may be one of the Top 10 of his career.

5) Barnes

6) Weber - How did this guy ever get a team into the NCAA Championship game?

Honorable Mention: Oliver Purnell, but he just got fired so he doesn't count

Reaction Score

Granted, Jim Calhouns are a rare breed, but you don't even need a JC at UT.

You just need an above average coach and they could easily become a good to great program.

I think they're closer to OSU and Florida, rather than Alabama, as a program that can be elite in both sports.

Reaction Score
I hope they keep him. Texas is a sleeping giant program and with a better coach they could be another perennial title contender.

I hope they keep him too but if they don't, would they go after Shaka?

Reaction Score
Rick Barnes is one of the worst game day coaches in a major conference.
He seems to be likable guy and apparently a great recruiter , but he never could coach a lick.
He made a bunch of money ,so I don't think we should shed any tears for him.
The Texas gig is not so bad financially.

Reaction Score
Lavin has to be on any list, considering even his own players know he can't coach. I mean, Baron Davis said his team is the only one to make the Sweet 16 without a coach.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
All you need to know about Rick Barnes: when he was at Clemson, he once came close to getting into a fistfight with Dean Smith on the sideline when he accused Smith of deliberately instructing his players to goon it up. I was never any Dean Smith fan, but really? Dean Smith? I can't think of any coach in the country I would expect something like that from less than I would from him.

I also hope Texas keeps him, but I don't see how they possibly can. They could care less about BB, so maybe he survives for another underachieving season.

Reaction Score
Lavin has to be on any list, considering even his own players know he can't coach. I mean, Baron Davis said his team is the only one to make the Sweet 16 without a coach.

What was Lavin doing all those years under Keady? Daydreaming? LOL

presskh

Memphis Fan
Reaction Score

1) Dave Rice
2) Steve Lavin
3) Leonard Hamilton
4) Rick Barnes

You forgot our coach, Pastner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics